The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to Blues for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, 2019 1st-round pick, 2021 2nd-round pick

ROR is worth the money he is getting paid if he is on a winning team.  On a losing team, he's an unaffordable luxury.  On a terrible team like the Sabres have been the last few years, he's trade bait.  Any rebuilding team has no business paying $7.5 million to a 27 y.o. second line centre especially when they have/had zero depth and lousy goaltending.  That's why ROR going to the Canucks in a trade would have been a foolish endeavour.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Also, ROR is a pretty good dude who loved playing in the city of Buffalo.  He just hated that others in the lockerroom, including himself, started to accept the constant losing.

Did ROR actually write this?  This seems like it’s written by a professional propagandist more than a professional hockey player, don’t you think?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Did ROR actually write this?  This seems like it’s written by a professional propagandist more than a professional hockey player, don’t you think?  

I say this with all of the love that I can muster for someone that I've never met in real life...

I think you blather nonsense out of your pie-hole more than just about everybody else on CDC.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I say this with all of the love that I can muster for someone that I've never met in real life...

I think you blather nonsense out of your pie-hole more than just about everybody else on CDC.

Well, thank you:)

i still don’t think ROR wrote this.  He signed it, and approved it, but I don’t think he wrote it.  This article is clearly professionally written.  Likely came from the agency that represents him. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Well, thank you:)

i still don’t think ROR wrote this.  He signed it, and approved it, but I don’t think he wrote it.  This article is clearly professionally written.  Likely came from the agency that represents him. 

I've seen plenty of PR releases over the years.  This letter is too clunky in parts to have been written by someone who does it for a living.

As an example, take this part: "Thank you for your initial welcoming and your endless support throughout".  Even though he used a qualifier after "initial support" that leaves the gate open for someone to say, "What did you mean by initial"?  That was a slip on ROR's part and a professional PR writer wouldn't have ever made that mistake.  There's a couple of other things I could point out, but I'm not trying to teach an English class on CDC.

• Upvote 1

Im still puzzled why Sabres traded away their 2nd line centre. They just picked up Dahlin who could have the same impact as McDavid on their blueline along with Eichel they have pretty good assets to become a team bound for the playoffs. So... why trade away a guy with 60 points? Is there a chemistry problem or something? 

Although they do get back 2 quite serviceable 3rd liners from the Blues. 

Edited by Drakrami

11 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Im still puzzled why Sabres traded away their 2nd line centre. They just picked up Dahlin who could have the same impact as McDavid on their blueline along with Eichel they have pretty good assets to become a team bound for the playoffs. So... why trade away a guy with 60 points? Is there a chemistry problem or something? 

Although they do get back 2 quite serviceable 3rd liners from the Blues. 

Is Mittelstadt not a center?

My guess is they see him taking on the role of second line center. He seems capable of taking on the challenge.

That would give them:

Eichel

Mittelstadt

Berglund

Still a formidable top 9 center group.

On 2018-07-15 at 9:07 AM, canuck73_3 said:

Lol ok, it’s all O’Reilly’s fault the Sabres are god awful. :blink:

No, that's whomever builds the team's fault. Ryan O'Reilly will be worth the contract when he learns how to win, but he has been part of a losing culture for so long. Pretty much all his career. I don't think I would want him showing the young guys on my team how to win when even he doesn't know how. They traded him for a few bottom 6 forwards who have consistently played playoff hockey. If I'm ownership, I'm wondering why I'm playing someone 7.5 mil a year who doesn't know how to win and then asking if we could pay that to a few players who do instead.

On 2018-07-15 at 10:07 AM, SabreFan1 said:

ROR is worth the money he is getting paid if he is on a winning team.  On a losing team, he's an unaffordable luxury.  On a terrible team like the Sabres have been the last few years, he's trade bait.  Any rebuilding team has no business paying $7.5 million to a 27 y.o. second line centre especially when they have/had zero depth and lousy goaltending.  That's why ROR going to the Canucks in a trade would have been a foolish endeavour.

We have a BINGO!!!!!!

• Cheers 1

• 10 months later...
31 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

And Tkachuk instead of OJ.

What did ROR say?

He said “all their players played heavy tonight.”  It’s a hard way to play, but it’s the right way to play.  Straight lines, taking hits, stopping on pucks, being physical off the puck, and being hard to play against on the walls.  That’s winning hockey. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He said “all their players played heavy tonight.”  It’s a hard way to play, but it’s the right way to play.  Straight lines, taking hits, stopping on pucks, being physical off the puck, and being hard to play against on the walls.  That’s winning hockey. 

Buffalo has that now in a 9 times 8 contract in Skinner........not. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Wow, what a beast. I'm glad we have our version of this guy in Bo.

I watched the NBC broadcast, and the two broadcasters said they couldn’t believe the spSabres traded ROR, and that Buffalo got fleeced in that deal.  Trading Bo would be a TERRIBLE mistake. 

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He said we knew we were going $€$&$ing get it. So awesome.