The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals Sign Brooks Orpik

JV77

This is greasy. They want to penalize the back diving contracts but let this stuff go on? For the record I have no problem with either. If it falls within the rules as written then so be it. Don't even get me started on going after the back diving contracts YEARS later. 

41 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Capitals Sign Brooks Orpik

The Washington Capitals have signed defenseman Brooks Orpik to a one-year contract with an average annual value of $1 million

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-sign-brooks-orpik/c-299573574

Didn't even know he was bought out by the Avs 3 days after the trade...

Lol you gotta be kidding me? Is this a video game?

This is flat out cheating and the league should step in and fine Washington a 1st round pick.

Caps are one of the few American teams I cheer for actually... but this is wrong and they have to pay. What BS.

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Lol you gotta be kidding me? Is this a video game?

This is flat out cheating and the league should step in and fine Washington a 1st round pick.

Caps are one of the few American teams I cheer for actually... but this is wrong and they have to pay. What BS.

what did they do wrong? They traded someone in a legal trade and signed someone to a legal contract.

Smart move

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

what did they do wrong? They traded someone in a legal trade and signed someone to a legal contract.

Smart move

By that judgement NJD should a never been fined for Kovalchuk deal... which was reversed anyways and they got a later 1st round pick.

And by that judgement, there was nothing wrong with the Luongo deal, which was a mirror image of the Hossa deal. But they still managed to make up a new dumb rule to make arguably the generations best goalie, have absolutely 0 trade value.

This is cheating if you ask me... Colorado better hope that 2nd rounder doesn't turn into anything and Grubauer becomes a star goalie...

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

Lol it's Brooks freaking orpik who cares. He's their worst defenseman

Id kill for a guy like Orpik on our team man... he brings such toughness and is so reliable defensively.

He's a beefed up Willie Mitchell.

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Id kill for a guy like Orpik on our team man... he brings such toughness and is so reliable defensively.

He's a beefed up Willie Mitchell.

Well he just only signed today, free agency started on Jul 1, so anyone had a chance

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Those two do go hand in hand quite often.

Especially in the nhl.

It was widely speculated when the trade went down that Washington would look to add Orpik at a lower cap hit once he was bought out.

In the strictest sense, this is essentially a cap circumvention but I am surprised it hasnt happened more often. 

Archived