The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

71-year-old Sikh man attacked in California, police chief’s son charged

prix57

31 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Rob, are you like this all the time or is it just for CDC?

I am non racist all the time....thanks for asking.   I am also anti attempts by the media to use race unequally....to me reverse racism is a very sick form of racism that fuels even more racism....it does sell media well though and seemingly sucks in a lot of susceptible minds.

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am non racist all the time....thanks for asking.   I am also anti attempts by the media to use race unequally....to me reverse racism is a very sick form of racism that fuels even more racism....it does sell media well though and seemingly sucks in a lot of susceptible minds.

Not what I was implying at all. I have never thought of you as a racist and that's coming from someone who is a visible minority.

I don't see you as an "Archie Bunker" type. I see you more as the mailman from "Cheers".

Clavin.jpg

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not what I was implying at all. I have never thought of you as a racist and that's coming from someone who is a visible minority.

I don't see you as an "Archie Bunker" type. I see you more as the mailman from "Cheers".

Clavin.jpg

I am a bit young for Cheers but I have seen reruns and never quite "got it" but apparently it was a big hit.   Unfortunately the two or so episodes I endured didn't have that guy in them so cannot get to your point but just looking at that face says a lot....:lol:

It's almost scary just how sensitive the topic of race has become that people who are both against racism can still get into arguments over the subject just due to semantics and the delicacy of the topic.

Perhaps we need to change the name of our planet to "Welcome", that should send a clear enough message.

Racism aside, how scary is it that you can do your best to be the best example and teach your children all the right values, and still have them turn out to be monsters. 

I want kids in the future but things like this scare the hell out of me. Can't imagine what that chief is going through. 

Really not sure why the debate on what is a hate crime. A hate crime needs to be racially motivated. To be charged with a hate crime there usually needs to be supporting evidence. For example, a black guy attacking a white guy while yelling "cracker ass cracker" or using other racially charged language will qualify. Same as a white guy attacking an Asian saying "Go back home you (insert ethnic slur)"

For example, Mark Wahlberg (yes that one) is a viscous racist. With the criminal history to match his actions. His multiple assaults are definitely worthy of being charged with hate crimes..............

Arrests and felony assault conviction

In June 1986, Wahlberg and three friends chased after three African-American children while yelling "Kill the ni**er, kill the ni**er" and throwing rocks at them.[13] The next day, Wahlberg and others followed a group of schoolchildren taking a field trip on a beach, yelled racial epithets at them, threw rocks at them and "summoned other white males who joined" in the harassment.[13] In August 1986, civil action was filed against Wahlberg for violating the civil rights of his victims, and the case was later settled the next month.[14][15][16]

In April 1988, Wahlberg approached a middle-aged Vietnamese man named Thanh Lam on the street and, using a large wooden stick, bashed him over the head until he was knocked unconscious while calling him a "Vietnam fu**ng sh*t". That same day, Wahlberg also attacked a second Vietnamese man named Hoa "Johnny" Trinh, punching him in the eye without provocation. According to court documents regarding these crimes, when Wahlberg was arrested later that night and returned to the scene of the first assault, he stated to police officers: "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the mother-fu**er whose head I split open."[17] Investigators also noted that Wahlberg "made numerous unsolicited racial statements about 'gooks' and 'slant-eyed gooks'".[18][19]

For these crimes, Wahlberg was charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to assault, and was sentenced to two years in Suffolk County Deer Island House of Correction. He ultimately served only 45 days of his sentence,[18][20] but carries a permanent felony record. Wahlberg believed he had left Trinh permanently blind in one eye.[16][18][19] Trinh said in December 2014 that he had already lost that eye during the Vietnam War, and did not know the identity of his assailant prior to being contacted by the media.[21]

In August 1992, then 21-year-old Wahlberg fractured the jaw of a neighbor in an unprovoked attack.[22] Court documents state that in 1992, Wahlberg "without provocation or cause, viciously and repeatedly kicked" a man named Robert D. Crehan in the face and jaw while another man named Derek McCall held Crehan down on the ground.[23]

23 minutes ago, steve french said:

There seems to be some confusion in this thread. Or maybe it's just me, I'm tired and my reading comprehension is poor. Anyway, the two suspects are black, not white. It was a minority on minority attack, not the devil whitey trying to chase out immigrants.

Well, there you go, Rob.  Happier now?

It's a shame. Hopefully they hang that prick by his balls. 

The older Sikh generation I've noticed from experience are some of the nicest people going. As a young lad I would go over to my friend's house regularly after school and during the summer and his Sikh relatives there even though couldn't speak English were always very friendly to me and my brother.

32 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Well, there you go, Rob.  Happier now?

Not happy at all....an elderly guy who simply had the distinction of being of a certain race/religion was beaten for that reason.   I find nothing to be happy about that at all.

1 hour ago, steve french said:

There seems to be some confusion in this thread. Or maybe it's just me, I'm tired and my reading comprehension is poor. Anyway, the two suspects are black, not white. It was a minority on minority attack, not the devil whitey trying to chase out immigrants.

Does it matter who the perpetrators were?  Beating up on a 71 year old is sick.  Black, white, pink, or orange people who commit acts of violence (especially against the vulnerable) should be locked up.  

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not happy at all....an elderly guy who simply had the distinction of being of a certain race/religion was beaten for that reason.   I find nothing to be happy about that at all.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way.  Should've said, "Happier with the media take on it now?"

My bad and that's on me.

1 minute ago, Undrafted said:

Sorry, didn't mean it that way.  Should've said, "Happier with the media take on it now?"

My bad and that's on me.

No problem - all good.   Still not happier at all.  Sick situation irrespective of who did it.   Still pissed at media too.   

I am guessing that a police chiefs son or a judges son must think that Daddy will make that type of behavior disappear so they are above the law.

Unexceptable behavior, period,

hurting an elderly person no matter what race and it took two of them, such cowards.

Too bad both parents couldn't teach there own children right from wrong.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No problem - all good.   Still not happier at all.  Sick situation irrespective of who did it.   Still pissed at media too.   

How dare the media report the details....but weren't you clamoring for details surrounding crimes to be released in a more expedient manner a week or two ago though? 

I have to assume this is one of your "reflect their biases back at them" threads where you argue a position you don't really believe. Otherwise, by your own words, you don't understand what a hate crime is (which I don't believe).

41 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

How dare the media report the details....but weren't you clamoring for details surrounding crimes to be released in a more expedient manner a week or two ago though? 

I have to assume this is one of your "reflect their biases back at them" threads where you argue a position you don't really believe. Otherwise, by your own words, you don't understand what a hate crime is (which I don't believe).

It's not the details but I think you know that.   Do something just for fun - take every headline you see (admittedly we get a lot different news to follow but I am sure it still works where you are) and simply invert the headline to an "opposite" or similar and see what the reaction might be.   

This had nothing to do with expediency - which was great in this case - it was about the headline and how it reflects one of the big causes of this sort of (likely) racism/hate in the first place.

Oh, trust me, I believe 100% in this one.    In Germany and Sweden, it is laughable at the headlines when certain things happen - you can cut the hypocrisy with a knife.     

I DO understand hate crime - and that includes people mowing down people assumed to not be of same religion with a gun....that is equally a hate crime to what happened to this poor man.

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's not the details but I think you know that.   Do something just for fun - take every headline you see (admittedly we get a lot different news to follow but I am sure it still works where you are) and simply invert the headline to an "opposite" or similar and see what the reaction might be.   

This had nothing to do with expediency - which was great in this case - it was about the headline and how it reflects one of the big causes of this sort of (likely) racism/hate in the first place.

Maybe it's a less biased news day or something but I tried your little experiment and I'm not seeing it. I'm sure you can point out how this is unfair though. 

5b6e2d5d0e990_ScreenShot2018-08-10at5_26_29PM.png.8f174a05f3f668c926a67fb1b728727d.png

It's interesting that someone who preaches personal accountability blames the media for hate crimes though. 

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh, trust me, I believe 100% in this one.    In Germany and Sweden, it is laughable at the headlines when certain things happen - you can cut the hypocrisy with a knife.     

I DO understand hate crime - and that includes people mowing down people assumed to not be of same religion with a gun....that is equally a hate crime to what happened to this poor man.

You know two things can be horrible and still not be the same, right? Not to mention that the US and Canada both take terrorism and hate into account when charging suspects? 

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Maybe it's a less biased news day or something but I tried your little experiment and I'm not seeing it. I'm sure you can point out how this is unfair though. 

5b6e2d5d0e990_ScreenShot2018-08-10at5_26_29PM.png.8f174a05f3f668c926a67fb1b728727d.png

It's interesting that someone who preaches personal accountability blames the media for hate crimes though. 

You know two things can be horrible and still not be the same, right? Not to mention that the US and Canada both take terrorism and hate into account when charging suspects? 

Horrible news in NB.   I had not heard that.   Wow.

There are numerous examples.  Danforth was one notable in Canada.   In Europe, it is epidemic - particularly with rapes/assaults.    I will create a thread in a bit but not going to hijack this one anymore.   

Archived