The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Another shot at acquiring Sam Reinhart...

sorry, no idea what 'tags' are or where they go...

Apparently Sam hasn't signed yet, and Buffalo is likely set for 1 & 2 C with Eichel & Skinner. So it looks like if SR is to play in the middle, he might be 3rd in line..? sabres seem to have heaps of centers, enough to get by so..

2 questions... 

1. Could SR be a bonafide 1st center for the canucks, assuming EP stays on the wing.. 

2. BUF doesn't seem to have a back up goalie.. what would it take for them to trade SR?

Markstrom, Hutton and a 2019 second?

That would leave room for demko or dipietro to jump up into the nhl... 

educate me...

Problem I see with this is that Skinner doesn't play center, he plays wing. Even if Reinhart doesn't play center, they can still move him RW. Would be nice to have Reinhart but I don't really see any reason for Buffalo to move him, especially not for our scraps. 

11 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

sorry, no idea what 'tags' are or where they go...

Apparently Sam hasn't signed yet, and Buffalo is likely set for 1 & 2 C with Eichel & Skinner. So it looks like if SR is to play in the middle, he might be 3rd in line..? sabres seem to have heaps of centers, enough to get by so..

2 questions... 

1. Could SR be a bonafide 1st center for the canucks, assuming EP stays on the wing.. 

2. BUF doesn't seem to have a back up goalie.. what would it take for them to trade SR?

Markstrom, Hutton and a 2019 second?

That would leave room for demko or dipietro to jump up into the nhl... 

educate me...

Sam hasn't played center in Buffalo in quite some time. I suspect the top 2 centers for Buffalo are going to be Eichel and Mittlestadt. Sam will be the Sabres top RW. 

23 minutes ago, suitup said:

Problem I see with this is that Skinner doesn't play center, he plays wing. Even if Reinhart doesn't play center, they can still move him RW. Would be nice to have Reinhart but I don't really see any reason for Buffalo to move him, especially not for our scraps. 

yah I kinda thought he was a winger but he's listed as a C so thought I was out to lunch on that, but they still have Middlestadt coming up..

18 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Sam hasn't played center in Buffalo in quite some time. I suspect the top 2 centers for Buffalo are going to be Eichel and Mittlestadt. Sam will be the Sabres top RW. 

ok so he's not even going to be a center.. fair enough then.

and i was already on my way to buffalo to pick him up :P

papa paul, said, he'ld love it, if all his boys played for the canucks. you can't have too many centers.

he doesn't have great speed but like bonino in pittsburg, put him with 2 speedy guys and he could shine. 

he was a high first rounder so, i'ld imagine that they would want a first and a good prospect. i can't see us giving either up. 

Sobotka and Berglund MIGHT be acceptable centre depth after the O'Reilly trade but I find it unlikely that they'd be ok shipping out a decent young kid still under a moderate contract.

Eichel

Reinhardt

Ristolainen

Nylander

Pu

Mittlestadt

DAHLIN

That is a very very solid young group of guys to be giving up one of their better pieces for...scraps?  

Would you take Will Borgen, Jonas Johansson and a 2nd for Gaudette or Sutter?  The answer is no you wouldn't

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sabres might make Sam a checking center.  That might be a good role for him, and would keep him in the league.  We have Bo, Pettersson, Gaudette, and Sutter.  No room for Sam here either.  

Why in God's name would the Sabres do that?  In addressing their left side weakness, the Sabres made their right side weak.  Reinhart is a good top 6 RW for the Sabres.  He doesn't need to play centre in order to stay in the league as you put it.  Putting him at centre on the Sabres would make zero sense.

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sobotka and Berglund MIGHT be acceptable centre depth after the O'Reilly trade but I find it unlikely that they'd be ok shipping out a decent young kid still under a moderate contract.

Eichel

Reinhardt

Ristolainen

Nylander

Pu

Mittlestadt

DAHLIN

That is a very very solid young group of guys to be giving up one of their better pieces for...scraps?  

Would you take Will Borgen, Jonas Johansson and a 2nd for Gaudette or Sutter?  The answer is no you wouldn't

The Sabres traded Pu and picks for Skinner.

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Why in God's name would the Sabres do that?  In addressing their left side weakness, the Sabres made their right side weak.  Reinhart is a good top 6 RW for the Sabres.  He doesn't need to play centre in order to stay in the league as you put it.  Putting him at centre on the Sabres would make zero sense.

Does Sam skate well enough though to be a top six winger on a winning team?  He’s not a physical guy either.  However, his hockey smarts are elite.  He could become an excellent checking center.  To win Cups teams need those guys.  Eichel and Middlestadt aren’t playing wing, and aren’t going to be 200 foot centres.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sabres might make Sam a checking center.  That might be a good role for him, and would keep him in the league.  We have Bo, Pettersson, Gaudette, and Sutter.  No room for Sam here either.  

Reinhart put up 25/25 for 50 last season as a 22 year old.  I don’t think there’s a worry that he’s not going to stick in the league as a top 6 player.  Checking C to keep him in the league.  Where the hell do you come up with this stuff 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Reinhart put up 25/25 for 50 last season as a 22 year old.  I don’t think there’s a worry that he’s not going to stick in the league as a top 6 player.  Checking C to keep him in the league.  Where the hell do you come up with this stuff 

Now they have Eichel and Middlestadt.  Why not play Sam as their third line center?  If he puts up those numbers, from a checking role, he’d be one of top checking centres in the league, and make the Sabres a MUCH improved team.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Now they have Eichel and Middlestadt.  Why not play Sam as their third line center?  If he puts up those numbers, from a checking role, he’d be one of top checking centres in the league, and make the Sabres a MUCH improved team.  

Becaus that’s the wrong role for him.  It’s like putting a trailer hitch on a Ferrari so you can get the trailer to campground faster.  Regardless. My issue is with you saying “it’ll keep him in the league”. Like he’s a borderline NHL player. He’s not.  

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Becaus that’s the wrong role for him.  It’s like putting a trailer hitch on a Ferrari so you can get the trailer to campground faster.  Regardless. My issue is with you saying “it’ll keep him in the league”. Like he’s a borderline NHL player. He’s not.  

As the youth climb into the Sabre’s top six, I do wonder about Sam’s future there.  He is definitely not a Ferrari.  His skating is his biggest issue.  If anything, he’s more a Fiat.  He will need to find a bottom six role, or he could be gonzo.

Archived