The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 dead, 11 injured in mass shooting at Madden tourney in Jacksonville, Fla.

nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, Solinar said:

Yet another shooting, yet another debate ending in...well, nothing actually.  Neither side is willing to work with the other for a common solution, and neither side will compromise.  They should build a statue to tear down later of a lone white gunman standing over the corpses of 1000 children waving the 2nd amendment and place it on the White House lawn.

Really? You honestly think that "neither" side is willing to work with the other?

I disagree. I think those who would like to see some common sense restrictions would be more than happy to work with the other side. Seems to me that the pro-gun lobby isn't interested in making any concessions...

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? You honestly think that "neither" side is willing to work with the other?

I disagree. I think those who would like to see some common sense restrictions would be more than happy to work with the other side. Seems to me that the pro-gun lobby isn't interested in making any concessions...

And there are some of the anti-gun side that are in the same court.  Personally, I think there should be checks and balances in all of this, but the problem has been going on so long, where people want an instantaneous solution, we're now at the mercy of having to spend the better part of a decade fixing the problem if we actually do start to work towards it.

Personally, I think there should be more screening, more classes, more limitations on not just guns, but on ammo.  And then there should also be recertification every 1-2 years.  People change.  People who were stable last year can be unstable this year.  When you have an item that can specifically kill people, why should you be trusted more with it than with a car?  

To the pro-gun people, if you're so solidly pro-gun, surely being the responsible person that you are, a test every now and then will just prove how stable and awesomely responsible you are with your pew pew pew.  To the anti-gun crew, it'll make getting a gun harder than it is to buy chocolate at Walmart.  And yes, there are states that are harder to get firearms than others, and some of that is the problem.  But this endless talk of the extremes negating the moderates getting anything done is getting tiring.

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You aren't deluded are you?

I will later this evening when I have more time. You have a poor memory. When you made the comment I reminded you that you had a firearm. I will take the time to show you though and I'm sure your disappearing act from this thread will follow. :lol:

@Warhippy

This is all you are going to get. He has nothing.

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Once again you will make yourself look foolish but I guess thats kinda what you do here. Btw stalker I own a pick-up and my wife has a suv and yes two houses. Are you jealous? You shouldn't be it requires hard work and hey your parents basement isn't all bad at least you don't have to pay land taxes.

Please... Nobody cares about your fictional wife and fictional homes. This is an anonymous forum, only the truly desperate and insecure individuals boast about their accomplishments because they lack the intellectual depth to let their arguments stand on their merit. 

Just now, Solinar said:

And there are some of the anti-gun side that are in the same court.  Personally, I think there should be checks and balances in all of this, but the problem has been going on so long, where people want an instantaneous solution, we're now at the mercy of having to spend the better part of a decade fixing the problem if we actually do start to work towards it.

Personally, I think there should be more screening, more classes, more limitations on not just guns, but on ammo.  And then there should also be recertification every 1-2 years.  People change.  People who were stable last year can be unstable this year.  When you have an item that can specifically kill people, why should you be trusted more with it than with a car?  

How so? Are you trying to make the case that the anti-gun side are interested in complete disarmament or nothing? I just don't understand the "neither side is willing to work with the other" claim. I just think it's completely erroneous.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

How so? Are you trying to make the case that the anti-gun side are interested in complete disarmament or nothing? I just don't understand the "neither side is willing to work with the other" claim. I just think it's completely erroneous.

There are always outliers and extremes to each side.  To say that only one side is bad, would be to not look too hard in the other direction.  Do I believe the anti-gun people have the same lobbying power as the pro gun people, no.  But till everyone can actually sit down and do concessions that will meaningfully impact this problem, we shall see no progress.  And it is going to be a discussion with compromise, which will probably leave everyone angry, and nobody happy.  If that happens, it might be a good deal.

And yes, NRA gun lobby bad, but damn, they sure are effective.  I will not disagree with you, but man, you have to look at the side working towards legislation of gun controls and say, maybe you have to be fired too.  What have you actually done?  Are you going to let 5 million people in a country of 300 million walk all over you?  Where is your campaigning?  

29 minutes ago, Toews said:

@Warhippy

This is all you are going to get. He has nothing.

Please... Nobody cares about your fictional wife and fictional homes. This is an anonymous forum, only the truly desperate and insecure individuals boast about their accomplishments because they lack the intellectual depth to let their arguments stand on their merit. 

Apparently you do you constantly bring it up. 

Fictional wife lol. Is that what you call your partner? Anyway why did you have to even bother with me? Are you that sad you can't even go a week or two with out attacking me? You need help antifa boy. 

Have you even discussed this thread or are you just in here to attack people? Almost daily you're in a battle with someone. You need help maybe your parents should charge you rent it might teach you a thing or two. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Apparently you do you constantly bring it up. 

Fictional wife lol. Is that what you call your partner? Anyway why did you have to even bother with me? Are you that sad you can't even go a week or two with out attacking me? You need help antifa boy. 

Have you even discussed this thread or are you just in here to attack people? Almost daily you're in a battle with someone. You need help maybe your parents should charge you rent it might teach you a thing or two. 

No it's you who constantly brings it up because...

My-epeen-Is.jpg

:lol:

1 hour ago, Solinar said:

To the pro-gun people, if you're so solidly pro-gun, surely being the responsible person that you are, a test every now and then will just prove how stable and awesomely responsible you are with your pew pew pew.  To the anti-gun crew, it'll make getting a gun harder than it is to buy chocolate at Walmart.  And yes, there are states that are harder to get firearms than others, and some of that is the problem.  But this endless talk of the extremes negating the moderates getting anything done is getting tiring.

If you're talking US regulations please read my earlier post.

If this is referencing Canadian gun laws the RCMP check the criminal records of PAL holders daily. DAILY. I don't really know if you can get more stringent than that.

Also, why would you want it more difficult to purchase firearms/ammunition legally? Last I checked criminals don't, by definition, obey the law.

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well for example warhippy did. Rob zepp has also said the same thing

I am not opposed to the police, military and subsistence hunters having weapons.   Beyond that, have target ranges with locks/signouts etc. but who else really NEEDS guns.   Assault rifles - what possible legitimate reason could there be for a non-policing/peace officer/military have for an assault rifle?   

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not opposed to the police, military and subsistence hunters having weapons.   Beyond that, have target ranges with locks/signouts etc. but who else really NEEDS guns.   Assault rifles - what possible legitimate reason could there be for a non-policing/peace officer/military have for an assault rifle?   

I'm not arguing your position I'm just pointing out that there are people who have this opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not arguing your position I'm just pointing out that there are people who have this opinion. 

I get that - you are one of the sane posters on cdc that accepts there can be differences of opinions without getting personal and creepy about it.   

Back on topic - I respect that there are responsible gun owners - I just cannot think of a system that sorts out those from others so only solution that comes to me is getting them out of hands of civilians for the most part (particularly in urban centers) but I know that would never fly politically let alone practically.    It just seems such a "final" form of weaponry - with the advent of rubber bullets, stun guns, tasers and such, non-lethal protection is available for the perpetually afraid.

2 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

Was the shooter(s) suffering mental health issues?  I understand that guns are an important factor to consider when it comes to these tragedies, but mental health is another issue that needs to be seriously addressed.

Really,

what normal person carries a gun into a video game tournament and murders people after a loss?

edit:  

what normal person plays video games that much?

Archived