The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Mafia] - Nineteen Eighty-Four (Game Over; Mafia Win)

Beluga Whale

8 minutes ago, 112 said:

^I agree with your BJ breakdown but don't think AV has been acting too out of line with what I would typically expect of him as Town. He's more of a neutral read for me whereas I have BJ and J-23 as scum.

Scum leans:

BJ, J-23

I give J-23 a town lean because he's usually something of a wildcard personality-wise anyway, and doing something like aping BW's 'questions' approach seems exactly like something he would do. He also seems to be trying to scumhunt, albeit perhaps not very effectively.

We should probably begin to form a lynch pool, though.

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Until Crumb had posted and I checked the player list, I didn't know that he and otherwise we're in the game. It is tough for new players to jump in but unless otherwise has a reason I'd expect more. I remember that @numb3r 16 once almost won as Mafia based on the new player situation where we don't lynch them for a while.

I didn't feel anything suspicious about J23 pointing out that BW was the host to AV. Zfetch's jumping on that was a reach, I feel, but then reaches are kinda all we have 1st round. What was odder was BJ jumping in then jumping out with 'agree to disagree'. Also a badly noticable Beetlejuice by AV and a bad reaction to being called out on it.

Scum lean: AV, BJ

Town lean: MR (though it's been a while since I played with him, or played at all), Zfetch, 112

Neutral: Aladeen, TL

Monitor: Crumb, otherwise, J23, Virt, ilduce

Everyone remember that the round ends at 8:00 tonight, unlike most games where it's usually a couple hours later.

I'd prefer to lynch BJ or AV. At the moment there's no one else I'd be too enthusiastic about, but could perhaps accept TL, SC, or even ilduce (didn't much like his single post, tbh) if necessary. I'd rather not target someone completely inactive like Virt, though, due to the complete lack of info that would leave behind. And my TP reads are off the table for me barring one of them doing something scummy enough to change my mind.

Unvote; vote Blue Jay

1 hour ago, Master Radishes said:

Alain Vigneault

Almost immediately after I called him out for seeing him lurking twice without posting...

He appears, and goes for the silly posts to start with - again, like BJ, despite there being a little bit of serious discussion by this point (which he waves at in one of his joke posts).

At this point I vote for him to apply the pressure.

Forgot to ask him about this - I'm not sure what he meant here. Kind of an odd response. He just sort of shrugs it off like it's no big deal.

He next appears with this one post. He ignores any bigger fish and goes for the player who had just popped in with a single post. I don't mind that last part, more so the fact he ignores everyone/everything else.

And apparently he didn't even mean anything by his post about ilduce? So then why bother posting?

Summary

AV was slanking and got called out for it, but has done little to really join the game and has posted nothing of consequence. He also has had a very laid-back, measured attitude so far, waving off the vote on him and even his own statement about ilduce as if they were nothing.

To be honest, in ISOing him here I'm almost actually leaning slightly less on him being scum, except for the fact that he's still not done anything to try to help solve the game.

A conversation between two players debating what the vig should do isn't gameplay.  It's a glorified QOTD being discussed in the thread.

Me asking about BW being absent was my attempt to goad the mafia into coming out.  In my experience, when somebody has attempted a "derp" post, the people who jump on it are more often than not mafia OR TP trying to goad mafia into believing there's a chance a wagon will form.

I didn't believe you were voting to apply pressure but I figured you voted me to see if people would jump on that possibility.  Again, your vote for me was a reach and I figured you also believed that but went ahead and voted anyways to see if others would be opportunistic with it. 

Again, this isn't as big a deal as you think it is.  I quoted him because he basically parroted what Aladeen was saying before he arrived.  That, to me, is odd because it's posting for the sake of posting, which isn't necessarily bad or good.  I supposed I could have written that out but then I would be blatantly putting him under suspicion, which I didn't want to do.

And now I'm glad I didn't because I'd much rather, justifiably, place some on you.   You identify me as slanking and find it scummy, although myself and few others here would say that this is typically how I play in round 1.  To me, this is really relevant to bring up because you use meta as a way to describe Duce.  Granted we've only played within the last year and not consistently, but you've hosted quite a few times to see that TP/Mafia/3P, I'm almost very quiet in R1 so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be cognizant of that.

This last little sentence/paragraph is very scummy as well.  It's basically saying that if things pick up on me, it's justified since I haven't done anything to solve the game, but it's like you want to let it be known that if and when I pop TP, you were on record that you felt less strongly of me being mafia.

I shall separate via quotes because as much as I do love colours, I love separate points more.

7 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

A conversation between two players debating what the vig should do isn't gameplay.  It's a glorified QOTD being discussed in the thread.

Me asking about BW being absent was my attempt to goad the mafia into coming out.  In my experience, when somebody has attempted a "derp" post, the people who jump on it are more often than not mafia OR TP trying to goad mafia into believing there's a chance a wagon will form.

It's not good gameplay, perhaps, but it is gameplay. The purpose of it is mainly to get even slightly serious discussion going, otherwise we could make joke posts into oblivion. It gets the ball rolling, which leads to other, better discussions, and prevents the early round joke phase from extending too long. Then, when late players slip in, as will of course happen, they can't just make a couple silly posts and get by on that, because otherwise they stand out (as you did).

I have nothing against the individual post re: BW, and I do agree about scum being goaded by derp posts. It was an overall impression of your posts at this stage I took issue with, and the BW post didn't seem like you goading stupid scum considering it came after other posts that said nothing of substance.

I didn't believe you were voting to apply pressure but I figured you voted me to see if people would jump on that possibility.  Again, your vote for me was a reach and I figured you also believed that but went ahead and voted anyways to see if others would be opportunistic with it.

My vote for you at the time was not because I 100% believed you scum, but it wasn't a 'reach'. It was an early round lean on you, and, with Zfetch already pressuring BJ, I decided to focus on you instead. Catching scum jumping on such a wagon is, of course, a nice possibility as well.

Again, this isn't as big a deal as you think it is.  I quoted him because he basically parroted what Aladeen was saying before he arrived.  That, to me, is odd because it's posting for the sake of posting, which isn't necessarily bad or good.  I supposed I could have written that out but then I would be blatantly putting him under suspicion, which I didn't want to do.

That's fair. But at that point in the game you also essentially ignored any players who had posted more, and should thus have somewhat more of a read on to contribute to the discussion.

8 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

And now I'm glad I didn't because I'd much rather, justifiably, place some on you.   You identify me as slanking and find it scummy, although myself and few others here would say that this is typically how I play in round 1.  To me, this is really relevant to bring up because you use meta as a way to describe Duce.  Granted we've only played within the last year and not consistently, but you've hosted quite a few times to see that TP/Mafia/3P, I'm almost very quiet in R1 so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be cognizant of that.

This last little sentence/paragraph is very scummy as well.  It's basically saying that if things pick up on me, it's justified since I haven't done anything to solve the game, but it's like you want to let it be known that if and when I pop TP, you were on record that you felt less strongly of me being mafia.

'This is how I play in R1' is an excuse that doesn't absolve a player of anything. People can play 'the same way' regardless of faction in R1 (less so later rounds).

The last sentence is me tracking my thoughts as the game progresses. It's not scummy to change one's mind on another player. I'll even go further with it: your latest response (this one) leaves me content to back off of you for now, if only because you're putting in more effort than my other and stronger scum read (BJ).

On a different note, let's help out @Salacious Crumb.

SC, your task now, as the round nears an end in a few hours, is basically to decide which other players have been genuinely trying to be helpful, and which have only been pretending to be. There's different ways of deciding this, and everyone has their favoured methods, but basically, keep in mind that the mafia are going to be posting knowing they have a secret agenda, and that leads to them to act in small, subtle ways that a genuine townie player wouldn't. For example, they will likely be trying to blend in, sounding helpful without saying too much, avoiding targeting their own teammates, etc.

It's difficult, particularly in the first round, of course. But do try.

6 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

I shall separate via quotes because as much as I do love colours, I love separate points more.

It's not good gameplay, perhaps, but it is gameplay. The purpose of it is mainly to get even slightly serious discussion going, otherwise we could make joke posts into oblivion. It gets the ball rolling, which leads to other, better discussions, and prevents the early round joke phase from extending too long. Then, when late players slip in, as will of course happen, they can't just make a couple silly posts and get by on that, because otherwise they stand out (as you did).

I have nothing against the individual post re: BW, and I do agree about scum being goaded by derp posts. It was an overall impression of your posts at this stage I took issue with, and the BW post didn't seem like you goading stupid scum considering it came after other posts that said nothing of substance.

My vote for you at the time was not because I 100% believed you scum, but it wasn't a 'reach'. It was an early round lean on you, and, with Zfetch already pressuring BJ, I decided to focus on you instead. Catching scum jumping on such a wagon is, of course, a nice possibility as well.

That's fair. But at that point in the game you also essentially ignored any players who had posted more, and should thus have somewhat more of a read on to contribute to the discussion.

'This is how I play in R1' is an excuse that doesn't absolve a player of anything. People can play 'the same way' regardless of faction in R1 (less so later rounds).

The last sentence is me tracking my thoughts as the game progresses. It's not scummy to change one's mind on another player. I'll even go further with it: your latest response (this one) leaves me content to back off of you for now, if only because you're putting in more effort than my other and stronger scum read (BJ).

I can tolerate your explanations for each of my points.

The bolded though, I want to clarify that I'm not using that as a defence.  I brought that up because you placed suspicion on me because of it but didn't on Duce for the same reason.

4 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

AV, I'm upvoting your post because I like your use of vocab. I admire such things, as 112 knows.

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

AV is lowkey a very bright person.

Just now, Master Radishes said:

I've noticed.

Future mafia 1st liner, comparable ceiling to a player like Intoewsables.

Guys.. :wub:

I'll drop a vote BJ for now for reasons articulated by myself and a couple of others. He seems very hesitant to participate in the game and has only one post I may have liked. He's deflecting a lot and has been borderline aggro at various points, which usually = scum.

Archived