The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Enough with the trade Virtanen talk!

Gator

Virtanen  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seriously, just stop. I don't know why so many can't see that it takes longer for power forwards to develop in a men's league. He's still a kid and doesn't have that man strength yet! Virtanen is a tough kid and will be an even tougher man. 

Best part of Virtanen isn't his strength. He's got great speed and a very under rated shot. That kid can snipe. Yeah he's very inconsistent, but most kids are, especially young power forwards.

I really believe he could become one of the best power forwards in the league in 3-5 years. A guy that players fear, scores 20-30G, and will stick up for his team mates. He's the type of player we will love especially in the playoffs. 

All these guys crying to trade him I guarenteed will be calling for JB's head in the future if he actually did trade him. Unless someone vastly over pays we keep him and hope he becomes the player I really believe he will become. I swear sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that sees his true potential. I consider Jake as important to our future success as I do Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and Hughes.

Please don't trade this kid!

If we are still seeing the same Jake Virtanen in 2020-21 that you see now, then a case might be made for trading him. I highly doubt that is likely though as with proper and effective coaching and on his part a willingness to listen and adapt to what they are telling him; he could become a very important piece of the puzzle going forward.

If this kid doesn't take some strides this season and get back to what got him drafted so high, potting goals and throwing hits, you gotta think that the organization is gonna be worried about what kinda player he's ultimately gonna be. Like he was a no show in preseason and last year showed up once every 5 games it seemed. I can see a scenario like Jake being dealt for another underachieving first rounder which is a major kick in the you know where for fans cause he's a 6th overall pick and his draft peers have been tearing it up for a couple years now.

Kicking around a theory in my noggin'(a dangerous notion!), that there's a % of players that do better mid-season, when things get loosey-goosey, due to a variety of factors(travelling, tired teams; tuned out coaches; D-fatigue; injuries, & the like). Some players likely thrive on the structured approach(skate here, do this & then that, etc...), that accompanies the early-season, over-coached, authoritarian blues...

In Jake(& perhaps Goldy), we might have a coupla' free-thinkers that run better with loosened reins. These high risk/reward types start really rolling when a lot of other skaters might start to drop off. With his physical tools(esp speed) give the guy a bit of space, & then look out! For Goldy, this theory might apply in more of a skill-based angle.

Anywhoo.. anyone else get this vibe?

Jake is still "potential on wheels". I get frustrated with his decision making, yet there is still so much raw, unused power to his game.

The refinement has been taking place over the last few years.. Subtle nuances, the small things, and I'd hope most have noticed these details.

He is on the clock though. Tick tock.

I'm really hoping for legitimate progress this season, consistency and drive.

Attacking the net and consistency are the two most serious issues for me.

All that said, I voted against trading (for now). I'm a homer and still have a lot of faith that Jake can be an impact, top 6 player.

Get there Jake, get there. Lots of jealous, bitter, angry twerps don't want you to succeed. Destroy them. Run over the entire NHL

Yes, for a young defenceman

is what i voted for, we really need defence help, more than we need another forward ....im not a fan of virt , but if he can continue hitting and rough housing oppenents than hes my kinda guy, now if he could do a fight here and there, than i will love him lol, and ya i know NHL has gone the carebear route inregards to play ( NHL freaks out if u even hit anyone anymore lol ) , i miss the good ole days, "Broad Street Bullies"

Mess with the other teams stars, u face the consequences , which might be a fist to the face

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Kicking around a theory in my noggin'(a dangerous notion!), that there's a % of players that do better mid-season, when things get loosey-goosey, due to a variety of factors(travelling, tired teams; tuned out coaches; D-fatigue; injuries, & the like). Some players likely thrive on the structured approach(skate here, do this & then that, etc...), that accompanies the early-season, over-coached, authoritarian blues...

In Jake(& perhaps Goldy), we might have a coupla' free-thinkers that run better with loosened reins. These high risk/reward types start really rolling when a lot of other skaters might start to drop off. With his physical tools(esp speed) give the guy a bit of space, & then look out! For Goldy, this theory might apply in more of a skill-based angle.

Anywhoo.. anyone else get this vibe?

Which is why it's even more important to stress, and teach the defensive side of the game to loose geese.

So when they get free wheelin' they have an understanding of where to drive the truck (or cart, in Goldy's case).

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Jake is still "potential on wheels". I get frustrated with his decision making, yet there is still so much raw, unused power to his game.

The refinement has been taking place over the last few years.. Subtle nuances, the small things, and I'd hope most have noticed these details.

He is on the clock though. Tick tock.

I'm really hoping for legitimate progress this season, consistency and drive.

Attacking the net and consistency are the two most serious issues for me.

All that said, I voted against trading (for now). I'm a homer and still have a lot of faith that Jake can be an impact, top 6 player.

Get there Jake, get there. Lots of jealous, bitter, angry twerps don't want you to succeed. Destroy them. Run over the entire NHL

The man seems closer to Bert than Bernier for sure. It would be a shame to see Jake go to another team and then hit his stride. Let’s give him a little more time to level up.

3 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

is what i voted for, we really need defence help, more than we need another forward ....im not a fan of virt , but if he can continue hitting and rough housing oppenents than hes my kinda guy, now if he could do a fight here and there, than i will love him lol, and ya i know NHL has gone the carebear route inregards to play ( NHL freaks out if u even hit anyone anymore lol ) , i miss the good ole days, "Broad Street Bullies"

Mess with the other teams stars, u face the consequences , which might be a fist to the face

What Dman could we get in return that will have the same upside Jake has? 

I don't think we need much help on defence. If anything I'd look to trade Juolevi+Goldobin+ to upgrade on Juolevi. I'm a huge believer that Tryamkin comes back and if he does we don't really have a NEED for a young Dman anymore.

Hughes

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Gudbranson

Stecher

We have quite a few that could fill that 6th spot. We're in a spot now where we can just let guys develop and take BPA in the drafts. Only trades that would make sense would be to upgrade on a young guy like the Juolevi deal i proposed.

Tanev could also be dealt for a young dman and we would get more value from Tanev then Virtanen. No real sense of trading that potential. Like not at all lol

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Which is why it's even more important to stress, and teach the defensive side of the game to loose geese.

So when they get free wheelin' they have an understanding of where to drive the truck (or cart, in Goldy's case).

Yeah, & there's a few obvious examples(the Kessel, Kane types)..& it returns to a recurring question of whether a coach might ultimately stifle the creativity/skill out of them?

In general, I like to see a team have a couple of these guys. Then the coach needs to use them appropriately, with the right linemates. For many of this ilk, the first few yrs is likely a minefield, their future perhaps dependant upon whether they're on the right team(trending upwards) with a reasonable coach/GM.

Or maybe I'm just a complaining fan who finds today's game(overall) probably over-coached, & just too structured? To me, great hockey needs to retain a healthy dose of spontaneous-chaos & artistic-improvisation.

Hey Brock Botanen here is a question about coach Travis Green's handling of Virtanen, do you think Green is handling him well?

I don't, I feel Green has limited Jake's time in playing to his strength hindering his confidence. Green seems less tolerant with Jake's shortcomings and keeps him on a short leash. Heck but what do I know!

A guy like Virtanen would shine in Boston, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh is my guess...

4 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

What Dman could we get in return that will have the same upside Jake has? 

I don't think we need much help on defence. If anything I'd look to trade Juolevi+Goldobin+ to upgrade on Juolevi. I'm a huge believer that Tryamkin comes back and if he does we don't really have a NEED for a young Dman anymore.

Hughes

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Gudbranson

Stecher

We have quite a few that could fill that 6th spot. We're in a spot now where we can just let guys develop and take BPA in the drafts. Only trades that would make sense would be to upgrade on a young guy like the Juolevi deal i proposed.

Tanev could also be dealt for a young dman and we would get more value from Tanev then Virtanen. No real sense of trading that potential. Like not at all lol

our blueline is horrible, didnt u watch last year and the preseason this year? nothing has changed, and i hightly doubt they will get better, guess we findout once the season starts, but not holding my breathe, and why we need to trade 1 or 2 to improve our d

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

Hey Brock Botanen here is a question about coach Travis Green's handling of Virtanen, do you think Green is handling him well?

I don't, I feel Green has limited Jake's time in playing to his strength hindering his confidence. Green seems less tolerant with Jake's shortcomings and keeps him on a short leash. Heck but what do I know!

A guy like Virtanen would shine in Boston, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh is my guess...

Guys like Virtanen and Goldobin seem to need a bit of a kick in the ass to motivate them still.  Virt was getting better and better opportunities as last season went along and showed a ton of improvement.  The entire team's looked sloppy this preseason so no reason to single out Jake.

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

I think the past coupla yrs, coaches' hands have been tied. They prob gave a fair amount of leeway to the overpaid vets, for the usual reasons.

As our vets are exiting, I'm hoping TG will adjust, affording some younger fwds(like Jake) more creative license. Such trends will never be discernible from Sept~about Nov...

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Guys like Virtanen and Goldobin seem to need a bit of a kick in the ass to motivate them still.  Virt was getting better and better opportunities as last season went along and showed a ton of improvement.  The entire team's looked sloppy this preseason so no reason to single out Jake.

And sometimes aside from a kick in the ass is the opposite: like putting them in situations to succeed such as three on three!

Each of those two guys should be on in the first minute of action?

Archived