The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When did you become a Canucks fan?

smokes

Growing up back in 85I remember my dad used to work near the Colosseum so we went the games a lot. Saw Petri Skriko make one of the best plays  I saw on a goal in my life and I was hooked. Been a die hard Canucks fan since. So been a Canucks fan for 33 years. You?

I can't pinpoint the exact moment but it would have been sometime in the late '70s.  I was already a fan when I was 11 and the Canucks made the finals in '82.

As far as I remember, I have always been a Canucks fan, although my first ever favourite player was Bobby Orr.

I was 8 during the '94 cup run, I was old enough to understand the game of hockey but not old enough to really 'follow' the Canucks. (Game times, team stats, all the player names, etc)

It was probably around 1997-98 when my intense fandom started and rolled through highschool. So much fun in the WCE days, myself and 3 of my buddies gathered at my moms house for every single Canucks game. Mom would make us snacks and we had a goal celebration handshake and would run around the cul-de-sac after an OT win. Being a Canucks fan in the early-mid 2000s was so much fun!

Can't pinpoint exact moment

I just remember Thomas Gradin being my first favourite Canuck

I remember BCTV Wednesday night Canucks hockey was a treat. Even though Bernie Pascall sucks.  lol

As a teenager I was more of a hockey fan than a Canucks fan. Big appreciation for the 80s Oilers, the Battle of Alberta, the Battle of Quebec.

When Pat Quinn started building an amazing team in the early 90s I became hooked (rehooked from my preteen years?)

8 minutes ago, smokes said:

Wow that's taking it back. I remember people talking about that time WHL vs NHL was like WWE vs WCW

There were a lot of really good players in the WHL back in those days. Guyle Fielder of the Seattle Totems was the best in the league but there were many, many NHL greats that spent time with the Canucks in those days. Andy Bathgate, Gump Worsley, Johnny Bower are just a few that spent time time in Vancouver before going on to star in the NHL.

Guyle Fielder is still one of only 3 players to have over 2000 points playing professional hockey in North America.

It began around 2000 or so when my dad would occasionally flick on a Canuck game. CFL football was his main sport, but hockey was always his 2nd favourite and back then, the Canucks were his favourite hockey team,  so he would sometimes watch their games and I took interest, along with my younger brother and older sister.

I was hooked when I saw Don Cherry's rock em sock em vol 1 or 2 whe I saw probably the best hockey fight ever. Craig Cox vs Bob Probert. My 9 year old self thought all the Canucks must have been as tough as Cox. 

And a few years after some guy named Bure solidified my love for the Nuckers

2006 - I'm a late bloomer lol

I moved to BC in 2007, but started following the Canucks the year before. I was born and raised in Winnipeg, so my team growing up was the (old) Jets until 1996. Between 1996 and 2006, I never really had a team to cheer for. I liked the Islanders and Devils during that time. I've never liked the Oilers and Flames. Ever.  Now, I'm obsessed with the Canucks.

While I would say its been my entire life it was at the age of 9 during the '94 cup run that I truly became a Canucks fan. Before then I didn't really pay too much attention to sports and what not. The Canucks were the home town team and by default i cheered for them but didn't really follow the hockey or even know everyone on the team. Ever since that cup run I have been a die hard fan even following a move to Calgary in 95. I go to as many Nucks games in Calgary as I can and am always the loud Nucks fun cheering in the face of the Flames.

back around 1948. i was 10, the canucks were playing in the whl or the pchl. remember andy bathgate and larry popein before they went up to the rangers. so when vancouver got an nhl team in 1970 i was already on board. orland kurtenbach was our first captain and we had a tough irish d-man named pat quinn. the whl canucks played in the old forum. lots of posts in your line of sight.

My parents moved from Vancouver to Toronto with my 2 older sisters in the early 90s, all of them massive Canucks fans. I was born in Toronto in 94 and chose to stray from the pack and cheer for my hometown Leafs. My first hockey jersey was a Mats Sundin jersey I got for Christmas at 4 years old, I loved the thing. However, growing up with 4 Canucks fans in the house, they were obviously always on the TV. Watching Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Ohlund do their thing, I quickly became a closet Canucks fan. In 2000, I made the switch for good, asked for a Bertuzzi jersey for my birthday, and have been a die hard ever since. Those first few years are still some of my favourite with the introduction of the Sedins and the formulation of the West Coast Express line. 

Always was just a fan of hockey period and just loved to watch the games no matter who was playing. For me it was the 90-91 season that really hooked me. Moved from Winnipeg to Northern Saskatchewan and they had 4 channels on tv. It just so happened one of them was a BC local station (go figure) which showed all Canucks games at the time. Can't remember the station but have been a fan ever since.

Archived