The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The issue with Goldy is his board play and defensive awareness, not his incredible skill set.

It's encouraging to see Goldy hustling back and actually trying his ass off on the back check, attempting to battle on the boards and minding the gaps.. He's just not great at that stuff yet. He is improving though.

Don't know if I can stomach watching Goldy Petey and Boes get owned in the dzone anymore. Just sayin

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Goldobin has trouble keeping the puck the moment anyone bears down on him, let alone stick, or body checks him.  This is mental.  And he has issues with shooting accuracy. Not shooting in general, as I think he is leading the team in this department, even WITH all of those net misses.  And yes, he is definitely a prime puck distributor.  Wouldnt have 3x the assists as goals, if he wasn't.  If he can put on some muscle, learn to be a man on the boards, and take the puck on the ice where HE wants to distribute it, the sky is the ceiling for him.

I agree with both of you on goldy’s strengths and weaknesses. If he could be even 10% more accurate with his shots he would be a top six no question. He’s noticeably stronger on the puck and boards even in his own zone in comparison to last year but he still needs to do more. Definitely too young and too much skill to just write off though imo.

31 minutes ago, mll said:

Every team knew he was available since his trade request earlier in the year.  LA, StLouis, Pittsburgh, Edmonton are among teams looking to make roster adjustments.  They probably all have a prospect à la Carcone to trade for Leivo. There is the 50 contract limit and teams sometimes prefer sending someone the other way.

That's nice and all but it doesn't mean he'd make it to us on the waiver wire. It's the difference between being completely free and wanting a body back.

5 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

I agree with both of you on goldy’s strengths and weaknesses. If he could be even 10% more accurate with his shots he would be a top six no question. He’s noticeably stronger on the puck and boards even in his own zone in comparison to last year but he still needs to do more. Definitely too young and too much skill to just write off though imo.

He's not even close to a write off in my books. Having stronger linemates would serve him well IMO. 

I love what Goldy is showing this year. Just being constructive

42 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Not sure I follow.

Are you suggesting Leivo would have landed in our lap without giving up Carcone?

I disagree

More that teams were not lining up to get him.  Carcone is a pretty low acquisition cost for a roster player.  

20 minutes ago, mll said:

More that teams were not lining up to get him.  Carcone is a pretty low acquisition cost for a roster player.  

I still don't get it.

Do you like the trade, or are you trying to say he would have fallen to us on the waiver wire?

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I still don't get it.

Do you like the trade, or are you trying to say he would have fallen to us on the waiver wire?

I like the trade on paper with how Leivo is being described but I am curious to know why other teams have passed.  He was available for so long and a lot of teams are trying to shake up their roster and/or are dealing with injuries.  Several teams are very close to the 50 contract limit, so I would think they would prefer doing a player for player swap to free a contract spot, rather than just claim a player off waivers - yet no one did.  

I don't watch Toronto so I don't know if the description of Leivo is accurate or if it's another Schaller type situation where he's not really living up to his description.  They also decided to keep Ennis over him - Ennis was quite poor for the Wild last year.  

9 minutes ago, mll said:

I like the trade on paper with how Leivo is being described but I am curious to know why other teams have passed.  He was available for so long and a lot of teams are trying to shake up their roster and/or are dealing with injuries.  Several teams are very close to the 50 contract limit, so I would think they would prefer doing a player for player swap to free a contract spot, rather than just claim a player off waivers - yet no one did.  

I don't watch Toronto so I don't know if the description of Leivo is accurate or if it's another Schaller type situation where he's not really living up to his description.  They also decided to keep Ennis over him - Ennis was quite poor for the Wild last year.  

My guess is teams were waiting to see if Leivo would end up on waivers or not. We paid a price to jump the line? I like the acquisition but i have tempered expectations for sure. Leivo has never put up big goal numbers at any level yet so I dont expect a lot. Mostly a body that doesnt get pushed around too easy and can retrieve some pucks on the forecheck and win some board battles. Maybe get really lucky and gel with EP. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I suppose not every team needs an "everyday NHLer" with potential upside. Maybe Dubas and JB are buddy buddy after the Gagner loan...?

I dunno.

I like the trade. From all accounts Leivo is capable of more than the opportunity he's been given in TO. We need more size, grit and skill in our top 6. It's a low risk move.

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I suppose not every team needs an "everyday NHLer" with potential upside. Maybe Dubas and JB are buddy buddy after the Gagner loan...?

I dunno.

I like the trade. From all accounts Leivo is capable of more than the opportunity he's been given in TO. We need more size, grit and skill in our top 6. It's a low risk move.

It's definitely a low risk move and the additional benefit is that it frees up a winger spot in Utica for some of the prospects to get into the lineup. 

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's be real, Carcone was never going to become a Canuck. He's a RW, which the Canucks have plenty of. Leivo helps the left side and he's got some size (4 inches taller and 25 heavier than Carcone). Does he have some speed? His NHL stats aren't anything to write home about, but maybe this change of scenery will help him?

I wonder what his thoughts are: He's from Ontario, was a Maple Leaf, who are poised to go deep in the playoffs this year, and now he's been traded to a bottom feeding team out west.

I hope he's a pro about it and gives it his all here. 

Does he have a choice?

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

You’re out of your mind bro.  He’s a point leader on a team that has a losing record.

Just watch! I hope I am wrong. But from a hockey mind even the Canucks brass has said recently that they only have one top 6 winger and that's Brock. Ian Macintyre has stated that from quoting Canucks management. 

3 hours ago, Nancouver said:

This seems to be a running theme around here that goldy can’t pass, if anything it’s the contrary. Last game he set up EP with a beauty pass on a partial 2 on 1 and EP just missed, he was shaking his head after like “ I shoulda had that one “. I consistently notice goldy making high caliber passes and his teammates not finishing.

Goldy can pass really well. But its his low percentage passes that drive coaches crazy! He can single handedly kill a power play!

6 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Just watch! I hope I am wrong. But from a hockey mind even the Canucks brass has said recently that they only have one top 6 winger and that's Brock. Ian Macintyre has stated that from quoting Canucks management. 

When was that?  

Archived