The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'll believe it when I see it, but I fully expect China to keep punishing Kovrig and Spavor. 

Unfortunately, I do as well.....

If they turn around and release them as soon as Meng is freed, they're all but admitting they were holding the Michaels hostage....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If they turn around and release them as soon as Meng is freed, they're all but admitting they were holding the Michaels hostage....

I'd like Canada to boycott the Olympics for this, and the genocidal things the Chinese gov't has been up to. Doubt I'll get my wish.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If they do release them it will be very quietly done (at least in China) but I also believe they keep punishing them and Canada over this.

51 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'll believe it when I see it, but I fully expect China to keep punishing Kovrig and Spavor. 

They will. Just like they did before. It's not the first time with Canada. Did it with UK too. International politics can be very predictable.  Olympics coming up in Feb. 

Edited by Jaimito

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They are hostages. And Meng was a ransom by trump to get a better trade deal. It's as obvious as it could be. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They are hostages. And Meng was a ransom by trump to get a better trade deal. It's as obvious as it could be. 

or she actually did do what she's accused of. You don't know. 

if they have enough evidence to force a DPA that tells me there 's actual evidence of her doing some shady banking. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

or she actually did do what she's accused of. You don't know. 

if they have enough evidence to force a DPA that tells me there 's actual evidence of her doing some shady banking. 

Oh she definitely did something shady no question asked but at the same time these kind of deals are made all the time especially in the military equipment sector and you don't see them getting prosecuted.

It is ignorant to think this is not a ploy by Trump to use her as a hostage in trade talks. 

Also fully boycotting the Olympics is just gonna anger China more and be counter productive if the goal is to bring those Canadians home. 

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Oh she definitely did something shady no question asked but at the same time these kind of deals are made all the time especially in the military equipment sector and you don't see them getting prosecuted.

It is ignorant to think this is not a ploy by Trump to use her as a hostage in trade talks. 

Also fully boycotting the Olympics is just gonna anger China more and be counter productive if the goal is to bring those Canadians home. 

if they are not home by the time the Olympics happen they won't be coming home. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if they are not home by the time the Olympics happen they won't be coming home. 

If you boycott they will never come home. That door will be shut and you further endanger Canadians in China. 

Boycott ain't gonna work in China today, this ain't Mao's China anymore. All it will do is stroke nationalism in china and further embolden Xi. 

12 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

another way of dealing with China is

boycott Olympics as a start.

Deport all Chinese citizens, unless they have  valid Canadian citizenship.

Expropriate all the land the non Canadians have purchased

Renege on every trade deal.

Yes, it will hurt us, but doing the right thing is seldom easy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

:picard: Glad you ain't in charge.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

I feel we're perhaps a little too "utilitarian" for this to happen. Consider that this would hurt us in more way than one. They're technically our 2nd highest trading partner (albeit it doesn't even come close to the US). I can also see them detain more Canadians as a result of this.

I guess my question to this would be whether or not World War 3 would be a war of diplomacy. :unsure:

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I feel we're perhaps a little too "utilitarian" for this to happen. Consider that this would hurt us in more way than one. They're technically our 2nd highest trading partner (albeit it doesn't even come close to the US). I can also see them detain more Canadians as a result of this.

I guess my question to this would be whether or not World War 3 would be a war of diplomacy. :unsure:

Is there a difference? It is not an either or situation. It is does the first escalate to the second. 

All wars start with a 'war of diplomacy' in the modern age and spiral into multi-national armed conflicts. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Is there a difference? It is not an either or situation. It is does the first escalate to the second. 

All wars start with a 'war of diplomacy' in the modern age and spiral into multi-national armed conflicts. 

This is true. Either way, escalating the situation would just be a bad move.

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Capitulation or appeasement don't have a good history.

And escalation does?

One approach is a high speed rail to thermal nuclear war while the other at least give a glimmer of a diplomatic solution. 

If you want to control China the best way to do it is build up economic alliance to the point such alliance will have near zero reliance on China for the supply chain and build top class infrastructure that make the Chinese market less appealing. So far the west have failed miserably on the infrastructure part compared to China due to our constant political squabbling on social issues and climate science. The reason why Xi feels emboldened is because China is the world's 2nd largest economy and an average citizen is living a higher standard if life. Change those factors with a declining economy and they will sing a different tune. 

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

And escalation does?

One approach is a high speed rail to thermal nuclear war while the other at least give a glimmer of a diplomatic solution. 

If you want to control China the best way to do it is build up economic alliance to the point such alliance will have near zero reliance on China for the supply chain and build top class infrastructure that make the Chinese market less appealing. So far the west have failed miserably on the infrastructure part compared to China due to our constant political squabbling on social issues and climate science. The reason why Xi feels emboldened is because China is the world's 2nd largest economy and an average citizen is living a higher standard if life. Change those factors with a declining economy and they will sing a different tune. 

Is  your contention that China would nuke us for deporting their citizens?

One way to change China's economic might is to not trade with them.

"If you want to control China the best way to do it is build up economic alliance to the point such alliance will have near zero reliance on China for the supply chain and build top class infrastructure that make the Chinese market less appealing. So far the west have failed miserably on the infrastructure part compared to China due to our constant political squabbling on social issues and climate science. The reason why Xi feels emboldened is because China is the world's 2nd largest economy and an average citizen is living a higher standard if life. Change those factors with a declining economy and they will sing a different tune. "

That sounds like escalation, with slightly different words than I used.

China won't nuc us just cause of kicking out their citizens, they will however cut diplomatic ties and when you silo two sides risk of armed conflict increases exponentially. Also expelling Chinese citizens will also result in complete travel ban to China by Canadians which would significantly affect Chinese Canadians that still have family especially older parents or grand parents that still resides there. What you are now proposing is punishing ordinary chinese people for the political stance of the CCP. What happened to de-coupling the regular chinese from the CCP that was paraded out throughout this thread?

Also how are we gonna deal with permanent residents here from China that have built their lives here? 

How would public sentiment go for the chinese canadians in Canada. Are we going down the Japanese concentration camp route again with the chinese this time?

Expelling people cause of their origin may make you feel better but it is full of pot holes and just gonna make things way worse.

Second, how is building economical treaties with other nations escalation? By that logic we have escalated against Germany cause of NAFTA. All that is doing is guide the free market. We ain't cutting China off from anything with such alliances. The free market will do its job there. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/meng-strikes-deal-with-u-s-justice-officials-including-withdrawal-of-canadian-extradition-request-1.5598969

Meng strikes deal with U.S. justice officials, including withdrawal of Canadian extradition request

Rachel Aiello

CTVNews.ca Ottawa News Bureau Online Producer

@rachaiello Contact

Published Friday, September 24, 2021 9:59AM EDT

Last Updated Friday, September 24, 2021 3:00PM EDT

OTTAWA -- U.S. Justice Department officials and Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou have reached a deal to resolve the criminal charges against her, allowing the woman who has been at the centre of a years-long major geopolitical case to enter into a deferred prosecution agreement and be released, under certain terms.

Meng, appearing virtually in a New York courtroom as part of the proceedings, pled “not guilty,” and will be released on a personal recognizance bond, with the charges against her set to be dismissed as of Dec. 1, 2022, four years to the day when she was taken into custody at Vancouver International Airport in 2018.

A U.S. justice official said during the proceedings that once the court approved the deal, American authorities would “promptly” be notifying the Canadian government that they are withdrawing their extradition request, and sparking what is set to be the beginning of the end to a nearly three-year legal and diplomatic saga.

A second court appearance at the B.C. Supreme Court is expected to occur at 2 p.m. PST, where the extradition proceedings against Meng are expected to be halted, likely resulting in the Chinese telecom giant CFO being able to leave Canada.

Meng has been under house arrest in Vancouver since she was first taken into custody at Vancouver International Airport in December 2018 on a U.S. warrant related to the company’s business dealings in Iran.

Meng, who is the daughter of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, has claimed her innocence throughout the process, and has been fighting the extradition through Canadian courts.

Huawei Canada and Justice Minister and Attorney General David Lametti’s office declined to comment on Friday ahead of the U.S. court appearance.

CTV News has spoken with one source who says Meng’s deferred prosecution negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice have been underway for months, and did not include any agreement related to the ongoing detention of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in China.

Kovrig and Spavor were detained just days after Meng’s arrest and have now been in Chinese custody for 1,019 days on espionage charges that have largely been viewed as a retaliatory response to Canada’s arrest of Meng.

Both men have stood trial, and Spavor has been handed down an 11-year sentence, while Kovrig has yet to be sentenced. It’s not clear if today’s developments would have any impact on their cases.

“I'd like to be able to say ‘next Tuesday at one o'clock, they'll be home,’ but the Chinese regime does not work like that. It's possible that more concessions may be taken out from Canada to get them back home,” said Margaret McCuaig-Johnston, a science, society and policy senior fellow at the University of Ottawa in an interview on CTV News Channel. “But certainly behind the scenes, our ambassador will be working furiously with his people on the ground in Beijing to press for their immediate release.”

Canadian officials acting on the U.S. request inflamed diplomatic tensions between Canada and China, and over the years relations have been considerably strained, resulting in a series of trade actions, and a rallying of international allies in condemnation of China’s bucking of international rule of law.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has previously shot down suggestions that Canada should consider exchanging the two Canadians for Meng, citing the need for the matter to work its way through the legal system.

This came after a spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry suggested in 2020 that Canada halting its attempt to extradite Meng could affect the fates of Kovrig and Spavor, a departure from China’s consistent denials that the cases were in any way connected.