The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yes I would still support that given how China treats its citizens. 

You mean lifting millions out of poverty?

Yeah why are they trying to better themselves.

Screw them for building world class infrastructures for their citizens.

They need to stay the sick man of asia.

(I know what you mean but be more specific)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

do I really need to bring up the stories? 

pretty lame strawman. 

45 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

You are comparing the government actions.  She is a victim too. The charges are BS. 

Not really, what is she a victim of, being on trial? The Micheals will never be the same and might not be able to live normal lives, she's a billionaire walking free. Don't get it twisted.

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm genuinely surprised they are coming back so fast. Just an outright admission of it being hostage diplomacy. 

The government feels they can easily have most of their population believe they were detained with just reasons and the weak, corrupt west demanded their spies to stop the hostage game with Meng. They're right too, since they control everything.

I hope people who hate the US a lot take time to think about why they were releases so fast, the US obviously made it happen in their negotiation. No other reason for the CCP to let them go without extorting more.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

The government feels they can easily have most of their population believe they were detained with just reasons and the weak, corrupt west demanded their spies to stop the hostage game with Meng. They're right too, since they control everything.

I hope people who hate the US a lot take time to think about why they were releases so fast, the US obviously made it happen in their negotiation. No other reason for the CCP to let them go without extorting more.

Oh for sure, but at the same time, the US created this whole mess to begin with so they gain no brownie points here.

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Oh for sure, but at the same time, the US created this whole mess to begin with so they gain no brownie points here.

A dumb orange man did this and he wasn't even completely wrong in doing it, just jumped the gun because he wanted a win. The US did not force the CCP to arrest and torture Canadians. The US is our (and a lot of nation's, like Japan and Taiwan's) only real substantial ally on this planet and for obvious reasons will want a stable Canada with a strong economy for selfish reasons.

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm genuinely surprised they are coming back so fast. Just an outright admission of it being hostage diplomacy. 

Agreed JM.  I believed they'd be freed, but months down the road, and very discreetly after the media attention died down.  Doing it this way is a total admission that it was motivated by retaliation  -  but maybe that's the intention of the Chinese,  send a message loud and clear?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed JM.  I believed they'd be freed, but months down the road, and very discreetly after the media attention died down.  Doing it this way is a total admission that it was motivated by retaliation  -  but maybe that's the intention of the Chinese,  send a message loud and clear?

They don't care about their foreign image any more, the cat is out of the bag so to speak. They probably thought it wasn't worth hard line negotiating with the US and just let them go because things aren't too hot in China right now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

The mass majority of Chinese still live very poorly.  Expats that move there typically receive much higher salaries and compensation.  Why?  Because - China is at war with Western countries whether they realize it or not.  Most expats get paid better in China than they would in their home countries.  “Average” looking men end up getting hot Asian wives over there so that these expats will stay in China (or so that these women can travel with their expat husbands back to their home countries). 

Mind you - there is absolutely nothing wrong with China having this mindset and approach but make no mistake about it - these guys are at war with us even if they aren’t using military means to do so. 

ps - I will give you one thing however:  their subway systems, high speed rail, and technology in general is far above and beyond what we have.  People over there have been using QR codes on their phones (through wechat or AliPay)for Atleast a decade, whether it’s paying for food, paying for household items, paying for transportation, etc. 

While things like uber, DoorDash, skip the dishes, and Apple Pay are relatively new in North America, China has been doing that since Atleast 2010/2011.  

With their high speed rails, it would be possible for someone to commute from the equivalent of Whistler to Vancouver in 20 minutes (their high speed trains run at 500 KM/h).  Furthermore, their subway systems in major cities hit almost every single part of the city.  You can’t walk more than 1.5 KM without running into some kind of subways station.

Edited by Patel Bure

11 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

The mass majority of Chinese still live very poorly.  Expats that move there typically receive much higher salaries and compensation.  Why?  Because - China is at war with Western countries whether they realize it or not.  Most expats get paid better in China than they would in their home countries.  “Average” looking men end up getting hot Asian wives over there so that these expats will stay in China (or so that these women can travel with their expat husbands back to their home countries). 

Mind you - there is absolutely nothing wrong with China having this mindset and approach but make no mistake about it - these guys are at war with us even if they aren’t using military means to do so. 

ps - I will give you one thing however:  their subway systems, high speed rail, and technology in general is far above and beyond what we have.  People over there have been using QR codes on their phones (through wechat or AliPay)for Atleast a decade, whether it’s paying for food, paying for household items, paying for transportation, etc. 

While things like uber, DoorDash, skip the dishes, and Apple Pay are relatively new in North America, China has been doing that since Atleast 2010/2011.  

With their high speed rails, it would be possible for someone to commute from the equivalent of Whistler to Vancouver in 20 minutes (their high speed trains run at 500 KM/h).  Furthermore, their subway systems in major cities hit almost every single part of the city.  You can’t walk more than 1.5 KM without running into some kind of subways station.

Uh yeah, it is called being a geo-political rival.

That was the point I made, let's focus on getting our infrastructure and tech up to spec to better compete in the market against China that actually make sustained differences rather than pulling petty political stunts that just create unneeded distractions like some suggested.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

Yeah, this actually seems to be an even more brazen attempt by China.  ie., don't even care how it looks.  But maybe I need a bit more time to think about it?

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uh yeah, it is called being a geo-political rival.

That was the point I made, let's focus on getting our infrastructure and tech up to spec to better compete in the market against China that actually make sustained differences rather than pulling petty political stunts that just create unneeded distractions like some suggested.

Their antagonizing is far above what could be considered geopolitical posturing. 

China became an integral part of the world economy, only to revert back to a nationalistic ethostate. We can't afford to continue the status quo with complete integration of China when they want the US out of Asia just so they can extort and invade whom they like. Chinese people don't get to get better lives at the cost of other Asian nations, which is what would happen if we just continue on like everything is fine and China is going to be "peaceful" forever. All that money we make with them going to amphibious assault crafts. 

1 minute ago, Kurgom said:

Their antagonizing is far above what could be considered geopolitical posturing. 

China became an integral part of the world economy, only to revert back to a nationalistic ethostate. We can't afford to continue the status quo with complete integration of China when they want the US out of Asia just so they can extort and invade whom they like. Chinese people don't get to get better lives at the cost of other Asian nations, which is what would happen if we just continue on like everything is fine and China is going to be "peaceful" forever. All that money we make with them going to amphibious assault crafts. 

Yeah, yeah, you want a war with China like yesterday, we get it. Winning that one is gonna be way harder and costlier than you think and you risk turning China into another Afghanistan and further de-stabilize the region given its over thousand years of history.

Guess your probably from Japan or Taiwan based on your obsession over this.

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah, yeah, you want a war with China like yesterday, we get it. Winning that one is gonna be way harder and costlier than you think and you risk turning China into another Afghanistan and further de-stabilize the region given its over thousand years of history.

Guess your probably from Japan or Taiwan based on your obsession over this.

Interesting position to take I guess.

I personally feel China wields an inordinate amount of power in a very belligerent way on the world stage.  This essentially openly obvious hostage taking for political issues is just simply the most visible of it from our nations perspective.  We won't even get in to China's in nation issues because, well it's none of our business.

But just because a persona disagrees with the level of power they wield and how they achieve their ends doesn't mean they can't also admire their drive to turn their nation in to a super power via self advancement in the forms of infrastructure, sciences and inter national building (modern colonialism) 

Respect them, but from a distance

• Cheers 1