The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Jan. 05, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

AM is better than CM.  

Put McDavid in the leafs and he’ll probably being doing just as good if not better. The fact that he is top 5 in points just goes to show you how good he really is without much support. 

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

A week ago everything was great.  Now all of the chicken littles have the sky falling.  For crying out loud, learn to take things in stride.  There are ups and downs in a season.  We are within expectations from the beginning of the season and might even make a playoff in a year 'experts' projected a bottom 5 finish.  Suck it up, princesses.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This team still has a long way to go...

20 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Matthews was a beast tonight. One elite player makes a difference. He was dangerous all night. We need Petey. 

Coming in with some late comments, phrased as "things to remember".

1. As Roger reminds us, this is just one bad game. Obviously this game is one of the low points of the season but there will be high points as well. And one game is a small sample.

2. Coming at the end of another long road trip, including 3 games in 4 nights, it is not a big surprise that the team was flat.

3. Despite points 1 and 2, however, this game did remind us of some harsh realities. Most obviously, as Kassian says, the talent level on the team is a ways from being able to contend against the top teams in the league. With EP out, the Canucks have nowhere near the firepower Toronto has. And even with EP in, it is not close. (Toronto may have cap problems soon.but I have been impressed with Dubas and Gilman, who the Canucks never should have fired)

4. As bad alice says, one player makes a big difference. Take EP out of the Canuck line-up it it has a completely different look. With EP we have a good first line, without him we don't have a legitimate first line. Even if we put Bo, Baer, and Boeser together, that is still well below average for an NHL first line. And not much is left over for a second line. But with EP between Baer and Boeser, we have a good first line and Horvat can be the basis of a good second line. And the bottom 6 is pretty good as a bottom 6.

5. The same is true on defence: one elite player makes a big difference.. Add a number 1 guy to the depth chart on D and, instead of being overmatched at pretty much every spot, the team would be good at every spot. Hutton and Guddy are overmatched as a second pairing, but would be fine as a third pairing. Obviously we hope Hughes is that #1 guy and that maybe Woo can slot into the top 4 on the right side.

6. Elite players are the key. Looking at most of the moves Benning has made  reflected in tonight's lineup -- trading for Sutter, Guddy, Granlund, Baertschi and Pouliot, drafting Virtanen, getting Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, and Shaller as UFAs, getting Stecher as an undrafted FA  -- none of those moves actually move the dial very much. I am not saying they were all bad moves. In fact, some were good moves, like getting Stecher and Roussel. But, after all the pages of argument on CDC about each of those moves, they don't make all that much difference. Is Sutter materially better than Bonino? I doubt it, but he isn't materially worse either. 

The only two moves that really moved the dial are drafting  Boeser and Pettersson. And I would put re-signing Horvat at a very good value on the list as well. Those are the three guys who have moved the team from being a bottom feeder to being at least in the conversation for a playoff spot.. If Hughes becomes another elite player, that would make a huge difference.And Gaudette and/or Woo could still turn out to be very valuable.

And Gaudette did have a great night tonight in Utica.. 

8 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

3 and 3 on a six game eastern road trip...would have said yes please at the beginning of the trip so can't complain...as long as Petey is ok.

Gaudette playing well in Utica...I am in favour of Benning's plan but please for the love of gawd-ette trade Sutter for something special at the deadline (too bad his modified no trade doesn't kick in until next year)

Give the guy a chance, he's only just back after months of injury rehab. You do realise it usually takes about 6 games to get back to where you were?

We need a couple better defenseman & another good winger so bad.

When EP is back I'd like to see - Baertschi / Horvat / Virtanen - as the 2nd line. Then have Sutter w/ Roussel & Eriksson as the 'shutdown' 3rd line (get them away from Bo).

Imagine getting Stone, Panarin, Myers or Karlsson in free agency. Any of them would be such a needed boost, especially one of those defensemen. 

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Coming in with some late comments, phrased as "things to remember".

1. As Roger reminds us, this is just one bad game. Obviously this game is one of the low points of the season but there will be high points as well. And one game is a small sample.

2. Coming at the end of another long road trip, including 3 games in 4 nights, it is not a big surprise that the team was flat.

3. Despite points 1 and 2, however, this game did remind us of some harsh realities. Most obviously, as Kassian says, the talent level on the team is a ways from being able to contend against the top teams in the league. With EP out, the Canucks have nowhere near the firepower Toronto has. And even with EP in, it is not close. (Toronto may have cap problems soon.but I have been impressed with Dubas and Gilman, who the Canucks never should have fired)

4. As bad alice says, one player makes a big difference. Take EP out of the Canuck line-up it it has a completely different look. With EP we have a good first line, without him we don't have a legitimate first line. Even if we put Bo, Baer, and Boeser together, that is still well below average for an NHL first line. And not much is left over for a second line. But with EP between Baer and Boeser, we have a good first line and Horvat can be the basis of a good second line. And the bottom 6 is pretty good as a bottom 6.

5. The same is true on defence: one elite player makes a big difference.. Add a number 1 guy to the depth chart on D and, instead of being overmatched at pretty much every spot, the team would be good at every spot. Hutton and Guddy are overmatched as a second pairing, but would be fine as a third pairing. Obviously we hope Hughes is that #1 guy and that maybe Woo can slot into the top 4 on the right side.

6. Elite players are the key. Looking at most of the moves Benning has made  reflected in tonight's lineup -- trading for Sutter, Guddy, Granlund, Baertschi and Pouliot, drafting Virtanen, getting Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, and Shaller as UFAs, getting Stecher as an undrafted FA  -- none of those moves actually move the dial very much. I am not saying they were all bad moves. In fact, some were good moves, like getting Stecher and Roussel. But, after all the pages of argument on CDC about each of those moves, they don't make all that much difference. Is Sutter materially better than Bonino? I doubt it, but he isn't materially worse either. 

The only two moves that really moved the dial are drafting  Boeser and Pettersson. And I would put re-signing Horvat at a very good value on the list as well. Those are the three guys who have moved the team from being a bottom feeder to being at least in the conversation for a playoff spot.. If Hughes becomes another elite player, that would make a huge difference.And Gaudette and/or Woo could still turn out to be very valuable.

And Gaudette did have a great night tonight in Utica.. 

I don't agree. Baertschi is just finding his form and will not be back to normal for probably another 3 games.

As I see it and let me be plain - I know nothing about coaching - but Green changes his lines far too much for me. How do players work out combination plays and develop chemistry if they are constantly being changed around? 

Much of what made the Sedins great was not just the fact they were twins but it tends to be forgotten that they ALWAYS played together. 

We are becoming psychologically dependent on Pettersson as a fan base and it's not healthy imo. 

We have 2 talented players still trying to find their game after long injury spells out and that is THE MAIN factor imo for our lack of scoring - that and Green's obsession with changing things around.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People are saying this rebuild is not complete.  Not sure how that can even be determined when half of our prospects aren’t even on the big club yet.  We should probably wait until Hughes, Woo, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Brisebois, Rathbone, MacEwen, Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Madden are in the lineup before we determine whether or not Jimbo has completed this rebuild.  Not to mention Elias has only played 40 games in his career so far.  He won’t even hit his peak for another 5 years.  

I do agree we have some veterans that need to go.  Once the young guys are ready we will see Sutter, Eriksson, Goldobin, Pouliot, Shaller and maybe Gudbranson on their way out.  It’s not going to happen overnight though.  It’s gonna be a couple more years before most of those young guys are ready and the contracts of the others are complete or they are traded.

:bigblush:

5 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Half our forwards are AHL caliber or offensive black holes and this is the result.

anyone thinking the rebuild is close to being over can’t be more wrong, take one guy out and the whole team crumbles. How many more years of guddy? 

Total rubbish. Behave.

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Man, canucks offense is lousy without Petey. It's pretty crazy that one rookie can make such a huge difference. While the greatness of Petey's performance was unexpected, I'm secretly going Hughes does the same thing next year. Imagine 2 guys that can change the team performance.. 

I don't agree but if that was true maybe now half our fans will see why EP needs to be UNTOUCHABLE and not be crab bait for every assh--le who happens to have had harsh words from his girlfriend.

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We need a couple better defenseman & another good winger so bad.

When EP is back I'd like to see - Baertschi / Horvat / Virtanen - as the 2nd line. Then have Sutter w/ Roussel & Eriksson as the 'shutdown' 3rd line (get them away from Bo).

Imagine getting Stone, Panarin, Myers or Karlsson in free agency. Any of them would be such a needed boost, especially one of those defensemen. 

Seriously, just one good winger?

Right now we have only one real good winger in the top six with Brock.

21 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I don't agree. Baertschi is just finding his form and will not be back to normal for probably another 3 games.

As I see it and let me be plain - I know nothing about coaching - but Green changes his lines far too much for me. How do players work out combination plays and develop chemistry if they are constantly being changed around? 

Much of what made the Sedins great was not just the fact they were twins but it tends to be forgotten that they ALWAYS played together. 

We are becoming psychologically dependent on Pettersson as a fan base and it's not healthy imo. 

We have 2 talented players still trying to find their game after long injury spells out and that is THE MAIN factor imo for our lack of scoring - that and Green's obsession with changing things around.

Even if Baertschi is fully back on track: he is not a top line winger. O.K. let's put it this way: He is a legitimate top line winger for a mediocre team like the Canucks.

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Yeah your right we need more than one in the top 9. Baertschi could be a decent secondary winger, maybe even Virtanen too, but apart from that I'm not sure & we need another driver.

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, it all begins with the systems the team is given to play. Adding a new player to that won't make much of a difference. Green also needs to put his line blender back on the shelf. 

Yes that is finally starting to annoy me too.

I don't like blaming the coach (as most of you know) but he needs to give his lines a chance to gel now.

He must know his best combinations by this point in the season but he is acting like a kid who constantly flicks channels because he can't find one with boobs on it. FFS give the players time to get used to each other.

9 hours ago, Mustapha said:

It's ok guys. This is a team in rebuild mode. Michael Hutchinson was just too good to score on, wow cant believe he's a 3rd string goalie.

Bring on the tank! We will get more awesome prospects handpicked by the legendary John Weisbrod and.. goddamnit I tried but can't do it. I can't just fluff this garbage. This team has been shutout too many times. 

Did I expect them to win? No, but they couldn't do much of anything. Couldn't even get one sorry goal.

Too many young guys not producing. Too many overpaid vets just here for the paycheck with term.

Not expecting a contender, but Green said this team would compete every night. Scoring 0 goals in 3 of the last 4 games is not competing, sorry.

Funny how you only come out when we lose...

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Give the guy a chance, he's only just back after months of injury rehab. You do realise it usually takes about 6 games to get back to where you were?

Yes, give him a chance to get up to speed and improve his trade value. Then trade him.

Gaudette ia good in the A until we need him.

33 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Ranking all the Fs in point per game pace this season (min 15 games).

6 Fs x 31 teams = 186 Fs.  The 93rd ranked F is producing at 0.69 pace.   The 186th ranked F is at 0.45.

Pettersson 1.11  Boeser 0.88  Horvat 0.80  Baertschi 0.60  Goldobin 0.55  Roussel 0.42

This is the spread between the 1st ranked F to the 6th ranked F in points per game for each team right now.  Only Tampa and Ottawa have 6 forwards above the 0.60 mark.  

Anaheim   0.81 - 0.53

Arizona     0.82 - 0.39

Boston      1.35 - 0.32

Buffalo      1.23 - 0.38

Calgary      1.44 - 0.42

Carolina     1.07 - 0.38

Chicago      1.21 - 0.46

Colorado    1.55 - 0.55

Columbus  1.15 - 0.46

Dallas         1.13 - 0.38

Detroit         0.93 - 0.50

Edmonton  1.52 - 0.35