The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good has JB drafted in his 5 drafts since taking over for MG

Gator

Bennings draft record  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, Alflives said:

Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson will lead us to 3 Cups in the 2020’s.

Well put.  Horvat and Boeser -- and whoever else comes to the front in the next 4 years -- will help a lot, but they aren't in the same class as EP and Hughes.  What sets JB apart from previous GMs we had (with the possible exception of Burke) is that he has picked the 2 uber quality players you need to win cups -- and BOTH were outside the top 4.

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He is only being called a bust by trolls and simpletons. At this point in time the odds are still very high that he will have a solid career. If he is not a top 4 NHL Dman by the time he is in his mid 20s, then I will consider him to be a bust.

There was a good post on this site about the Preds dmen and how they are typically draft + 4 or 5 before they show up and become difference makers. 

Maybe OJ will never play an NHL game but I think the odds are he does and after that who really knows what happens. 

9 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

But as a 5th overall who is the only player  taken in the top 20 to not have played a single game.....  I’d say that’s bust territory... not 15 years ago, but drafting is trending towards that . Most nhl execs now agree that what you have in a player by age 24 is the peak of what a player will have. 

It’s time to admit that OJs game was elevated in his draft year by playing with Marner, Tkatchuk and Dvorak who were all 2ppg. And he was taken about a round higher than where he should have been.

The air must be thin up there Tall.  I would come back down to earth.  

There was concern that Tkachuks numbers were elevated by playing with Marner, Dvorak and OJ.  So the concern could have been there for OJ.  It doesn't matter.  We picked a defenceman.  So what, OJ is only a bust to those that always felt that he was a bust.  

Drafting isnt a science.  We had a still have a gaping hole on defence.  Last I checked our forwards were doing well.  

I would take Bo, Brock and Elias over Sean, Johnny and Matt.  Bo is such a good center, but he could also be one heck of a solid left wing too.  

We have a slew of young forwards with promise and we can always draft, sign or trade for a winger.  Your stone could  crazy if you think OJ is only a second rounder.  

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

2022 - Canucks beat Rangers 4-2

2023 - Canucks beat Islanders 4-3

2024 - Canucks beat Bruins 4-0

I see what you did there but just for fun let’s make it more realistic and last longer...

2053 Canucks beat London Fogs

2054 Canucks beat Copenhagen Pipes

2055 Canucks beat Oslo Vikings 

2056 Canucks beat Rome Legionaries 

Bettman grins in his grave as his dream for the Eastern Conference in Europe is a reality and the 64 team NHL is a quadzillion dollar league then...but rolls over in it too given who wins it in this centuries fifties. 

Ok joking aside, lots of work to do yet in building a contender, EDM has McDavid, Draisatl a goalie that appears to be legit plus Nurse and RNH.  And are far away from winning a cup yet. Pettersson has played half a season, we don’t know how good Demko is yet, the remains of our old core and the in between core is getting older without replacements on the ice yet, no RHD, no extra star in top six yet etc etc.  Our roster against TB or WNP or WSH or SJ or TO or PIT looks pretty weak still, a lot will have to work out with the existing prospect pool, the next two drafts and whatever Benning can do with free agency plus the trade market before we can call ourselves contenders let alone a dynasty.

I have a feeling one of Benning's best mid-to-late picks may turn out to be Madden. He will be vital in a few years when they're a playoff team. Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes etc. are really awesome, but I also love some of his mid-to-later picks (Gaudette, Lockwood, Rathbone, Palmu, DiPietro, Madden, Utunen).

Excited for this year's draft. I think Benning can knock another one out of the park, even if they have a mid-round pick. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have a feeling one of Benning's best mid-to-late picks may turn out to be Madden. He will be vital in a few years when they're a playoff team. Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes etc. are really awesome, but I also love some of his mid-to-later picks (Gaudette, Lockwood, Rathbone, Palmu, DiPietro, Madden, Utunen).

Excited for this year's draft. I think Benning can knock another one out of the park, even if they have a mid-round pick. 

And he has a lot of picks this time.  Later rounds, true, but any player that is drafted is already playing at a pretty decent level somewhere.  The exception would be 2nd or 3rd tier college teams.  

Re: Madden, Lockwood, etc.: I think you are on to something here.  Not enough money for 6 Petterssons anyway.  No team can pay 6 players 10 million plus each and still ice a team.  Guys like Woo, Gaudette, Lockwood, Rathbone, Utunen will be affordable at 1.5 to 6 million each.  Same with Virtanen and Baertschi, and Horvat for that matter. 1 guy makes 12.5 (Pettersson), another makes 9.5 (Hughes), another 7 to 8 (Boeser), Horvat gets a raise at 6.5... and we still 35 to whatever million left for other guys.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, Brock Botanen said:

WOW I'm shocked at how many are picking 2014 as worst draft class. Yeah the 2 1st rounders didn't turn into Pettersson and Boeser, but don't sleep on Demko and Tryamkin. Even if Tryamkin don't come back to NA he was still worth the gamble because he has elite potential. That's the 2nd best draft class for us IMO

I am willing to wager that DiPietro turns out to be twice the goalie Demko will be.

4 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

I am willing to wager that DiPietro turns out to be twice the goalie Demko will be.

Demko is bigger, has a calm attitude; not sure about athleticism, however.  DiPietro is a good team guy, and very competitive.  Time will tell.  DiPietro will get the Utica treatment next year I assume.  Then you may turn out to be right.  

11 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

But as a 5th overall who is the only player  taken in the top 20 to not have played a single game.....  I’d say that’s bust territory...

You need a better game than this to troll this obviously.    First, OJ would likely have had NHL games this year as he was far and away leading the Comets in PPG as a Dman.    Further, he is one of 9 Dmen drafted in his draft year - 4 haven't had an NHL game yet (where you got your only player crap) and only 3 are currently playing in the NHL in a meaningful way.    He was ranked as one of the top three ranked Dmen in his draft year with the consensus of most scouts as being at the top of that list and he remains an elite prospect.     He was 2nd in the AHL in rookie Dman scoring when he was injured.

Better bait next time dude.

Anything with Pettersson is the best draft class!

That said, Jake, Demko, Tryamkin, Gaudette, cough Forsling, McCann is amazing.

Jake may not have been the BPA? But he's a solid NHL'er. And how many drafts produce 6 bonafide NHL calibre players?

??? :frantic:

2018 may go down as the unsung year. Utunen, Madden, Woo, Manukyan all look a chance to surface behind stud Quinn Hughes!

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I have no issue with the likes of Pettersson, Boeser, Demko and even Gaudette as they all have played in the NHL, but as you pointed out draft picks can be long shots even if top picks (Fabbro) so the other names listed are just names until the put a jersey one their back, Hughes hasn't even signed a contract yet. These names are the same as the 2020 Canuck pick, unknown to NHL play.

I understand the need for prospects but they aren't the one's at Roger's arena. Do you think fans go to watch a game thinking all the while, wow is Woo ever gonna be good or Madden is better than Gaudette and DiPietro will beat out Demko soon. No they go to watch Pettersson mostly now, they aren't going to see Eriksson. Last year fans celebrated the Sedins final swan song. This year they got blessed with Pettersson even though there was talk of him going to Utica for awhile, same as Boeser last year and Horvat his rookie year.

And Liga is considered the third best team in Europe after the KHL and SEL and behind the AHL.

What about the later rounds from 2015 forward?

You said he went to a 3rd tier team in Finland, you never mentioned anything about other leagues.  Why would a Finnish player go to play in Russia or Sweden when they have a perfectly good pro league in Finland?  Didn't Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujarvi play in the same pro league as Juolevi?

As for the draft, Benning drafted the best player in the 2017 draft at #5, a generational talent no less who is being compared in some aspects of his game to Gretzky and Bure, plus he got an all star sniper in 2015 at #23.  That alone puts him in the running for draft genius.  Gaudette in the 5th round is a bank robbery of epic proportions.  Demko in round 3 is another beauty.  Tyler Madden in round 3 is highway robbery.  He's a point a game player in the NCAA at 19.  Anyone who has watched Quinn Hughes play knows he is destined for stardom.  He skates better than any defenceman we have ever drafted.  Jett Woo is a point a game defenceman at 18 years old.  That again is highway robbery in the second round.  Jett Woo is going to become one of the most beloved Canucks ever with the way he plays.

Take your blinders off.  These draft picks over the last 5 years with the exception of one or two are what draft legends are made of.  I can't wait for all of these studs to be playing together at the same time.  The Canucks are destined for another Cup run sooner than people think.

17 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Tkachuk is physical but he has hockey sense. Jake Virtanen most of the time doesn't know what to do. I have seen so many times where he is 3 feet away from the puck and he doesn't know whether to get the puck or stay at his defensive position when he is the closest guy to said puck.

True, though I think Virtanen has really improved in that area. 

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Take your blinders off.  These draft picks over the last 5 years with the exception of one or two are what draft legends are made of.  I can't wait for all of these studs to be playing together at the same time.  The Canucks are destined for another Cup run sooner than people think.

Didn't you post something similar every year?:)

Archived