The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good has JB drafted in his 5 drafts since taking over for MG

Gator

Bennings draft record  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While I agree that he has the potential to be that, I wouldn't use the word likely YET.

Canucks drafted:

1) Cam Neely

2) Pavel Bure

3a) Henrik Sedin

3b) Daniel Sedin

3c) Trevor Linden

4) Ryan Kesler

5) Mattias Ohlund  (he was THAT good defensively in his prime - Guds wishes he could be that effective defensive & he wasn't a cupcake)

6) Mike Peca (I should probably rank him higher than Ohlund but screw it, the crazy Viking had his best years as a Canuck lol)

(rankings not in any particular order upon reflection...)

I'm hesitant to put Rick Vaive in here (in spite of him scoring 50+ goals three times in his NHL career - heck, it seemed like a ton of guys had 50 goal seasons in this era) 

Not the biggest list when you consider how many decades the Canucks have been in the league but still those guys are not that easy to exceed in terms of individual performance.

Neely was a great pick for sure, but not exactly great for us, so I'd say that disqualifies him.

I'll give you the twins, Bure and Linden.

After that though? I would say odds are that Pettersson becomes far more valuable to us than Kesler or Ohlund (obviously no offense intended towards those guys).

Peca sorta fits in the same category as Neely. Great player, just not for us. 

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Neely was a great pick for sure, but not exactly great for us, so I'd say that disqualifies him.

I'll give you the twins, Bure and Linden.

After that though? I would say odds are that Pettersson becomes far more valuable to us than Kesler or Ohlund (obviously no offense intended towards those guys).

Peca sorta fits in the same category as Neely. Great player, just not for us. 

You need those kinds of defensemen in the playoffs.  The reason why Guds is on the team.  One of the top shut-down guys in the league in his prime  (watch any of his battles with the premier power forward at his peak (Iginla).  Sure you need offense, but unless you have several EPs, you need elite guys on the blueline as well.

Ohlund had four 10+ goal seasons as a Canuck.  Not too shabby for a D (especially with only one good eye).

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

there is no comparison to JB - Gillis , at all.  JB's drafting stands on its own,

Gillis drafted Gaunce, Hutton, and Horvat......absolutely nothing for the previous core

The previous core was drafted by Burke (1988-2004) and Nonis (2004-2006)

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Gillis drafted Gaunce, Hutton, and Horvat......absolutely nothing for the previous core

The previous core was drafted by Burke (1988-2004) and Nonis (2004-2006)

i'll give gillis cred for hutton and bo  but thats it,lol     actually when JB  got into trouble with montreal  cant remember the specifics , but I do remember talk about contract stuff and what to say and what not to say  gillis had the advantage , that said i'm sure JB  having had his pp slapped he learned.

9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

i'll give gillis cred for hutton and bo  but thats it,lol    

If you can find undrafted prospects like Tanev (arguably our best D still to this day....assuming he's healthy [he's to the Salo disease sigh...]), it lessens that weakness.  Problem is, Gillis couldn't get any more of these types of prospects this way.

Different priorites though.  He was hired to take the team to the next level (win the Cup).  He failed.  If anything, you can make a case he didn't go hard enough 'all in' (gut the farm even more) to win the ultimate prize.

Jim Benning is by far the best at drafting good to great players,over the years we have been undeniably terrible at the draft. 

Now when we could really use some help, they change the rules because of Edmonton and Buffalo tanking for so many years even Toronto got on board with thIs tactic.

Canuck fans would love to have our first ever 1ST OVERALL DRAFT PICK.

We have never ever had even one in almost fifty years, so this bad luck can not continue because we will make too many fans give up because teams like the Oilers.

We have continually gone the wrong way at the DRAFT LOTTO AS WELL,

JUST TO PUT THE BAD LUCK CURSE ON A FULL BLOWN SHOWCASE. IT IS VERY DISAPPOINTING.

MR. BENNING PLEASE KEEP THE DRAFT PICKS COMING, IN BETTER ORDER  (like a 1st, 2nd,or 3rd pick) FOR A CHANGE WOULD BE SO OUTSTANDING.

9 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

We have never ever had even one in almost fifty years

Technically true but the Sedins really were ranked #1 & #2 in their draft year.  Burke, the shrewd trader he was at times, makes side deals so other teams wouldn't pick either player until the Canucks turn(s).

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If you can find undrafted prospects like Tanev (arguably our best D still to this day....assuming he's healthy [he's to the Salo disease sigh...]), it lessens that weakness.  Problem is, Gillis couldn't get any more of these types of prospects this way.

Different priorites though.  He was hired to take the team to the next level (win the Cup).  He failed.  If anything, you can make a case he didn't go hard enough 'all in' (gut the farm even more) to win the ultimate prize.

Gilis was a funny GM.  I mean, he was ahead of his time in a lot of ways but he neglected drafting and development until around 2012.  Tanev was a college signing which was done much less back then.  

I think that he learned a lot in his time with the Canucks and would be a good bet as a GM going forward.  

2014 - Could have been epic. While the first round picks weren't the best the ability to snag 5 NHLers in one draft is insane. It does hurt though that he traded away two of those players and we lost one to Russia. Without those trades and if we kept Tryamkin this draft would have been #1. 

2015 - Very little to work with. 1 late first round pick and no second round picks. I figure a solid draft is when you can get two quality NHL players and I think we got got that in Boeser & Gaudette. Jasek was also a nice late round pickup and has a shot at playing some NHL games IMO. 

2016 - HORRIBLE draft. Between this draft, signing Loui Eriksson, and trading McCann and a good pick (BPA on central scouting was DeBrincat) the offseason was a disaster. I could not believe that Tkachuk fell to us (I had him at #3rd overall - I thought we were drafting Dubois). That said we needed a dman. Sergachev was my favorite followed by Chychrun, McAvoy, and then Juolevi. I proposed we trade down to around 12 or 13 and pick whichever one was left and hopefully snag an extra 2nd or 3rd in the process (I wasn't crazy about Dubois either). When I heard London Knights in the announcement I got so excited and then when Olli Juolevi's name was called it was like a dagger in my heart (much like when Kopitar fell to 10 and we passed up). The later picks all sucked as well. Lockwood looks alright and has a chance at maybe being an NHL player. 

2017 - This is kind of a funny draft. I didn't really think much of Pettersson leading up to the draft but when I did an analysis on him I realized it is rare for a player to be a Point per game in Allveksen in their draft year. There is not nearly as much of a drop off in talent than in other top tier to second tier leagues. He obviously turned out way better than I could have imagined. I loved the Lind, Gadjovich and Palmu picks but they are all kind of crappy as of today. Hague went right after Lind and Josh Brook after Gadjovich. If we took those two picks instead our prospect pool from the back-end would look impressive while still being solid up front. 

2018 - My favorite draft. Loved the Hughes pick (had him as my first choice) loved the Woo pick (actually suggested we draft him mid-first round at around late November if we kept up our wild card position). I trusted Brackett with the Madden pick and he hit a home run. Utonen was a good pick - he put up solid numbers as the youngest player in Div-2 Finland and was already playing some games in the top Finnish league which is underrated IMO. World junior player as well. Might not be an NHLer but an intriguing pick. Manukyan was a fun gamble. Top russia junior season in history but struggled in the KHL. Seems like his size will hold him back but I love how we just swung for the fences. 

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Gilis was a funny GM.  I mean, he was ahead of his time in a lot of ways but he neglected drafting and development until around 2012.  Tanev was a college signing which was done much less back then.  

I think that he learned a lot in his time with the Canucks and would be a good bet as a GM going forward.  

In an interview he did admit that in hindsight he should have revamped the scouting department a lot sooner. He decided to give some of the guys who had been with the organization a chance to see whether there was anything there.

Overall though it was by far Gillis' biggest blindspots. He didn't have the scouting background required to effectively judge his scouting staff on anything except results and often conclusions regarding a draft class usually cannot be made until a few years. It does make you wonder though, if Gillis had cleaned house, things might have turned out a little different with that team.

2014 landed us a decent 3rd line 2 way forward with grit; An elite prospect in a goalie; A defensive russian tower of a D prospect who can skate; Forsling whos almost cracked the NHL. 

Benning hit a grand slam in this draft.

Pettersson is the biggest steal, but oh wow how the hell did Boeser fall that far?

2014 was a very good draft, but would have been great if we hadn't whiffed on our two first rounders. Love Jake, but leaving Ehlers and Nylander on the table for him still burns. McCann's ceiling looks to be a 3rd/borderline 2nd line player.

2015 was fantastic. Boeser and Gaudette were steals, and Jasek will very likely crack the NHL. Briesbois has a legitimate shot as well.

2016 was pretty bad. I believe Juolevi will be a solid top 4 D, but beyond him... oof. Lockwood could still pan out if he stays healthy.

2017. Freaking Pettersson. What a frickin heist we pulled. DiPietro looks like he can be legitimate NHL goaltender too. Lind and Gadjovich I think will come around slowly too, just give them time.

2018, jury is still out, but looks very promising so far between Hughes, Woo, and Madden.

Overall, 2014 has produced the most quantity of NHL talent, but 2015 and 2017 have produced the best quality players. 

Just look at his last 2 drafts and you have to be excited about the next one!

Pettersson, Hughes, Woo, Madden, Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, DiPietro all look like they have very solid potential to turn into NHL players. Add in some others such as Brassard, Thiessen, Utunen and Palmu into that list and ones just shocked.

The only 2 picks that haven't been doing well at all are Manukyan and Gunnarsson from the last 2 drafts.

Im sure looking forward to the next one and I hope we can acquire some more assets!

It looks like Benning has drafted a generational talent, an all star sniper, a #1 goalie, a potential #1-2 Dman and some very good prospects that can fill out the roster.  All in 5 years.  I'd give him an A for sure so far.  If we win a Cup in 3-4 years then it turns into an A+.

Best draft class was 2017 because Benning drafted a generational talent.  Only other time that happened was in 1989.  Biggest steal was Pettersson.  How many times do you draft a generational talent out of the top 3 picks?  Almost never.  That pick alone should put Benning into the category of genius and one of the greatest drafting GM's ever...

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It looks like Benning has drafted a generational talent, an all star sniper, a #1 goalie, a potential #1-2 Dman and some very good prospects that can fill out the roster.  All in 5 years.  I'd give him an A for sure so far.  If we win a Cup in 3-4 years then it turns into an A+.

Best draft class was 2017 because Benning drafted a generational talent.  Only other time that happened was in 1989.  Biggest steal was Pettersson.  How many times do you draft a generational talent out of the top 3 picks?  Almost never.  That pick alone should put Benning into the category of genius and one of the greatest drafting GM's ever...

I would have to argue that Bure was a bigger steal as no other team thought he was eligible for the draft!

Archived