The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 23, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pouliot skates well, he's heavy bottomed, and has offensive skills.  Maybe he has very low hockey IQ on the defensive side of the puck though?

skating can't make up for bad decision making, for most people anyway.  

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot seem to be piling on Pouliot, but this was a team effort. A pitiful effort IMO. This is not a playoff team, hope they can figure it out.

I think its more of a recognition that its time to end the experiment. Its hard to stand out in a bad way on this team from last night, be he managed it :P

I just think he's topped his potential. We didn't know if he was "rushed" in Pits or if he just wasn't great defensively, but now i think we know. 

He's supposed to be here for his offensive abilities, but he's actually got the lowest percentage on the team for shots that make it through to the net (38.5%). Almost everyone else is at 50% or over. Thats not good for a guy who is supposed to make up for some of his gaffes with offence. 

Can someone please advise on when we should expect Virtanen to evolve into something more? I mean come on, 3 years, everyone says be patient power forwards take longer to develop, but all those power forwards people are referring to showed much greater promise than Jake. They at least tried to find their groove early on.  It's like he doesn't even care most games. 

Coach kept him off the lines at practice, you'd think that would have fired him up a bit, but nope, he was invisible last night. Anyone see the replay of when Guddy rushed Schvenchni'puss, Jake looked like a deer in the headlights. I'm over this project. I truly think we are seeing the best we're gonna get. I'll eat my words if in 2 years he's a 25 goal scorer, but I doubt it.

I'd rather we make a move and let another team try and motivate him night in and night out.

I was surprised Hutton ended up a +2 in the 2nd period. I thought he played horribly. While we're laying blame, might as well include Green. CAR started their rookie goalie, so why didn't Green? Markstrom was brutal in the 2nd. Thought he would change up the goalies after that, but he stuck with his guy. Canucks need help getting pucks on net. They don't manage enough shots.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its more of a recognition that its time to end the experiment. Its hard to stand out in a bad way on this team from last night, be he managed it :P

I just think he's topped his potential. We didn't know if he was "rushed" in Pits or if he just wasn't great defensively, but now i think we know. 

He's supposed to be here for his offensive abilities, but he's actually got the lowest percentage on the team for shots that make it through to the net (38.5%). Almost everyone else is at 50% or over. Thats not good for a guy who is supposed to make up for some of his gaffes with offence. 

I hear Edmonton is looking for help on defense. Maybe Keith Gretzky is game for some Pouliot?

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hear Edmonton is looking for help on defense. Maybe Keith Gretzky is game for some Pouliot?

yeah he's a perfect fit. Day too late tho, Chiapet has left the building. KG probably sits on his hands for the rest of the year. 

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I really liked Higgins in the intermissions, great insight to when he was traded (3 rd pick and Oberg) for, he came here and he said all the pieces were here, Gillis did a great job.

...And could it be the same in 2021'ish????

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot seem to be piling on Pouliot, but this was a team effort. A pitiful effort IMO. This is not a playoff team, hope they can figure it out.

Someone didn't watch the game...:picard:

This may be a team collective, but when you have one player who constantly coughs up the puck. Well that just brings the team down  and we lose that momentum that we had during the lead. Then the team pays for it as a whole. Maybe Poo should think of that when he plays like crap.. which is all the time. This guy has had to many chances. Get better Poo...

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True... but I'm sure thats part of the plan as well... 

I wonder when because the more rookies the more likely a low finish in the standings and the team would need to put at least 3 or 4 in the line up next year for a start if they have that many that are/end up NHL calibre. Won't know until the try them and they have to be better than what is here now otherwise a 28th placed team is just younger not better.

Listen, did we just lose the SC last night? 

We are 1 point outside a play off berth, a position only few thought we would be in at this time in the season.

There seems to almost be a sky is falling atmosphere now.... nothing could be further from the truth. 

Regardless of where we end up at the end of the season, this season has been a success so far. A few poor games are not going to change that fact.

If they play as uninspired over the next 8-10 games, then there is cause for concern, but whether we make the playoffs or not, should not be the measuring stick for us at this stage in the rebuild. Only thing that matters is a positive progression of the younger players in team... 

Archived