The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 23, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I wonder when because the more rookies the more likely a low finish in the standings and the team would need to put at least 3 or 4 in the line up next year for a start if they have that many that are/end up NHL calibre. Won't know until the try them and they have to be better than what is here now otherwise a 28th placed team is just younger not better.

Not sure to be honest... but 'd say 4-5 over the next 2 years, and I think thats possible... I don't want us to just throw in youngsters that aren't ready for it yet.

Time will tell I suppose...

20 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I wonder when because the more rookies the more likely a low finish in the standings and the team would need to put at least 3 or 4 in the line up next year for a start if they have that many that are/end up NHL calibre. Won't know until the try them and they have to be better than what is here now otherwise a 28th placed team is just younger not better.

But that goes against some of what you push for.  "Have to be better" shows concern with results but isn't losing part of your winning strategy?

I'm sure the staff in place to determine "readiness" know more than the rest of us.  And sometimes rushing players does more harm than good in big picture way.  Development mentally as well as physically factors in.

I don't care if/that we lose unless it's a streak that impacts the overall psyche of the young guys in place.

It was a stinker of a game...but they can learn from it.

Time to rest.  Refs too...maybe have that eye surgery they're in desperate need of.

Heading in to the season i felt like the competition was between Hutton and Pouliot. Hutton has definitely won. 

I would like to see some trade deadline or offseason changes which leaves a top 7 next year of Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Hutton Stecher and Juolevi and Hughes. 

Those will be our best 7

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not sure to be honest... but 'd say 4-5 over the next 2 years, and I think thats possible... I don't want us to just throw in youngsters that aren't ready for it yet.

Time will tell I suppose...

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

But that goes against some of what you push for.  "Have to be better" shows concern with results but isn't losing part of your winning strategy?

I'm sure the staff in place to determine "readiness" know more than the rest of us.  And sometimes rushing players in does more harm than good in big picture way.  Development mentally as well as physically factors in.

I don't care if/that we lose unless it's a streak that impacts the overall psyche of the young guys in place.

It was a stinker of a game...but they can learn from it.

Time to rest.  Refs too...maybe have that eye surgery they're in desperate need of.

The issue is Vey, Clendening, Etem, Leipsic were all considered the best or atleast the top echelon in the AHL but were barely NHL players, it took playing in the NHL to grade them and that was by this management. Time in the AHL didn't make a difference, being good in the AHL didn't make a difference.

The ref's, they have been letting the Canucks get away with murder, slashing, hooking, cross checks, spears, high sticks, elbows, interference and holding the stick, for every one missed on a Canuck, they are doing so many they can't all be called. Roussel is a piece of work.

I have mentioned before about the players getting used to losing and finding a way to live without beating themselves up, learning acceptance, it is definitely something to be worried about, look how hard it is to get rid of that acceptance once it takes hold, see Edmonton, it is like a virus, it only takes one or two to show that "professionalism" 

Having had a chance to calm down after that disaster of a game, here are my thoughts:

1. Nino Neiderreiter either makes Ferland expendable or Carolina dangerous. Although a small sample size, the trade is definitely paying off. 

2. Pouliot had a weak game and was deservedly benched. Not sure if there's a call-up option in Brisebois or McEneny, but considering how TG was managing lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see Biega get a few games despite the fact he typically plays the right side. 

3. As terrible as I thought the reffing was, the game belonged to the Hurricanes. Canucks couldn't clear pucks to save their lives, and were basically handing them pucks.

4. It was interesting seeing Petey on the PK. Wasn't sure if it was lack of ice time due to back to back double minors or a more offensive look. In any event, I don't mind it, so long as he doesnt use his knee or face to block a shot.

5. It's been 13 games since I last had a #shotgunjake. Enough said.

6. Not ready to crucify Sutter, though it would be nice if he demonstrated his "balls" more often. 

7. I'm not delusional about where the canucks sit in ther grand scheme of things.  They're a borderline playoff bubble team due to a weak division. If they make it, that's great. If they don't, hopefully it's a learning experience for the boys as far as experiencing what it takes to make the post-season. I hope they have a good break where they can reevaluate where they're at. 

GCG

1 minute ago, therodigy said:

Having had a chance to calm down after that disaster of a game, here are my thoughts:

1. Nino Neiderreiter either makes Ferland expendable or Carolina dangerous. Although a small sample size, the trade is definitely paying off. 

2. Pouliot had a weak game and was deservedly benched. Not sure if there's a call-up option in Brisebois or McEneny, but considering how TG was managing lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see Biega get a few games despite the fact he typically plays the right side. 

3. As terrible as I thought the reffing was, the game belonged to the Hurricanes. Canucks couldn't clear pucks to save their lives, and were basically handing them pucks.

4. It was interesting seeing Petey on the PK. Wasn't sure if it was lack of ice time due to back to back double minors or a more offensive look. In any event, I don't mind it, so long as he doesnt use his knee or face to block a shot.

5. It's been 13 games since I last had a #shotgunjake. Enough said.

6. Not ready to crucify Sutter, though it would be nice if he demonstrated his "balls" more often. 

7. I'm not delusional about where the canucks sit in ther grand scheme of things.  They're a borderline playoff bubble team due to a weak division. If they make it, that's great. If they don't, hopefully it's a learning experience for the boys as far as experiencing what it takes to make the post-season. I hope they have a good break where they can reevaluate where they're at. 

GCG

Look at Guddy too, no matter who plays with him, it isn't working.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The issue is Vey, Clendening, Etem, Leipsic were all considered the best or atleast the top echelon in the AHL but were barely NHL players, it took playing in the NHL to grade them and that was by this management. Time in the AHL didn't make a difference, being good in the AHL didn't make a difference.

The ref's, they have been letting the Canucks get away with murder, slashing, hooking, cross checks, spears, high sticks, elbows, interference and holding the stick, for every one missed on a Canuck, they are doing so many they can't all be called. Roussel is a piece of work. 

Time in the AHL does not necessarily define your future in the NHL (Bo Horvat), and because you are good in the AHL you won't necessarily be good in the NHL... This is true... but unless you are exceptional, seasoning in the AHL are good for their development, and hopefully will help give them a platform to succeed in the NHL. 

Throwing youngsters, unless they are a class above the average prospect, in at the deep end is only likely to hinder/destroy their development.

12 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Oh come on.

Were you there (because I was)?

A hook is different than an elbow in the face.  Or a charge into the boards where you want to skate away, unscathed, and hide in the box so you don't have to respond for it.  (At least, for once, a penalty WAS called....although it was a bit of a trade off).

The stuff that happens every game?...sure.   But that elbow warranted how ticked off Roussel was.  Have not changed my opinion on him at all...LOVE his heart.

This team played like straight garbage last night. It almost offended me as a Canucks fan, then I realized I didn't pay to watch the game in person so that was good. Watching this team struggle to pass the puck all second period was absolutely fantastic. People likely only gonna name drop Pouliot but there wasn't a single D-man on this team that had any sort of ability to move the puck. But that's no surprise, we all knew this D-core was likely gonna be trash when the season started. The saddest part is Carolina isn't the team you expect to expose our defense. Maybe a Tampa Bay, or Toronto, or Winnipeg. You know, a good team.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Heading in to the season i felt like the competition was between Hutton and Pouliot. Hutton has definitely won. 

I would like to see some trade deadline or offseason changes which leaves a top 7 next year of Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson, Hutton Stecher and Juolevi and Hughes. 

Those will be our best 7

I was all for trading both Edler and Tanev and bringing Edler back in the off-season. Get 3 first round picks in the upcoming draft. Start next year with Edler, Gudbranson, Hutton, Stetcher, Hughes, Juolevi or McEneny and a UFA vet.

Defensive zone exits were their biggest issues last night and cost us 3 of the 5 goals against. Yeah the refs decided to not call a few penalties against the Canes but at the end of the day they out forechecked and out worked the Nucks from the drop of the puck. And that;s after a late game in Calgary and a flight to Van. That's 5 of the 6 game home stand where our boys came out flat as a pancake. In today's NHL that is unacceptable.

12 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Defensive zone exits were their biggest issues last night and cost us 3 of the 5 goals against. Yeah the refs decided to not call a few penalties against the Canes but at the end of the day they out forechecked and out worked the Nucks from the drop of the puck. And that;s after a late game in Calgary and a flight to Van. That's 5 of the 6 game home stand where our boys came out flat as a pancake. In today's NHL that is unacceptable.

For sure. Unless the majority of the team has been on an extended bender since the holidays, coming out as lifeless as they have doesn't really scream "we want to make the playoffs!"

1 minute ago, Laheys Liquor said:

I talked to a doctor on behalf of the board..

I regret to inform you all that we have been diagnosed with Bipolar I disorder

Is being a stupid moron a disorder?  I’d need plenty of extra meds if it is!   :emot-parrot:

Archived