The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 23, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Well that pretty much exposed how weak our D is, in case there was any doubt.  Sure it would be nice to right the ship and push for the playoffs, but this is what would happen if we got there. 

I get it that the team is drained and needs a break, but this is a big reality check. 

Would JB go St. Louis on this team and trade pieces even though they're in the playoff hunt?  I doubt it and it would be pretty demoralizing to the group if he did, but this game would justify it.

What would it take to get Fabbro?  Probably one of Gaudette or Madden plus, most likely a roster player.  At this point, I'd totally do it.  We can't carry on with more than half of this D corps into next year. 

So other than how poorly we played my understanding is if you have a complete and utter temper tantrum with the refs, akin to what a 5 year old has when it doesn’t get what it wants, you’ll get the next 4 powerplays of a game and they’ll just stop calling penalties on you entirely?

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | Travis Green

Man I generally don't criticise coaches but there are a few things here I didn't like to hear from my coach.

They are NOT a fast team. (that implies we are slow- I never thought that to be the case) If they were a fast team they would be more than 2 points above the Canucks. We made them look fast because we couldn't make a pass to save ourselves. If you start finding team mates with the puck you back the other team off. We have passed abysmally virtually for the whole of this home stand. 

Jake was NOT "alright". WTF.

this was a poor effort by the team. They couldnt get any good positioning and were slow out of the zone. The most positive thing was that beautiful passing play on Baertschis goal. Othe then that...forget...move on! this was simply beneath the capacity of the players. 

Honestly if it wasn’t for the fact that saunter, chatfield, and joulevi are all injured, I think the Canucks would have already called up a defenseman to try on the third pairing. 

I hoping JB makes a trade of one of our middling forwards over the break. I’d just like to see a bit of a shake up

Curb that frustration folks by remembering we’re rebuilding and should be sitting with the Sens and Kings in the overall standings....but instead we’re knocking on a wild card spot. As lousy as they played last night (and perhaps for the last few games), they’ve given us more to cheer for than what we expected so far this season.

And really hope JB stays true to his word and has his focus on building for the future, and not for a playoff run this year. 

Glad we get back on the road and to a regular schedule (as opposed to the 2-3 days off between games this month) after the all-star break, should get better performances.

That was the best forechecking team I’ve seen in a long time. Rod the bod style of hockey. Our break outs are average at best but a truly quick team like the canes with that kind of structure and coverage made it impossible for our guys to move the puck. We aren’t a slow team but we aren’t fast either. Staring to feel that team speed is the future of this league. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

So other than how poorly we played my understanding is if you have a complete and utter temper tantrum with the refs, akin to what a 5 year old has when it doesn’t get what it wants, you’ll get the next 4 powerplays of a game and they’ll just stop calling penalties on you entirely?

"Elbow to the head?  No problem".

The refs were terrible, plain and simple.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:41 AM, debluvscanucks said:

"Elbow to the head?  No problem".

The refs were terrible, plain and simple.

Agreed. Canucks were bad as well, but the refs were much worse. Let the boys stew on this one over the break, light a fire for the second half. 

While the Hurricanes are a fast and skilled team, they have to be the most gutless and pathetic team in the league. Both Needlewriter and Slapmeinthekov showed their yellow bellies in spades last night. If those pathetic refs hadn't stepped in and saved them, those two would be $&!#ting out a couple of teeth this morning.

3 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I don't get it,, Guddy gets absolutely cheap shotted and no one even comes and gives, Svenchokov or whatever his name is, a bump or anything.

Because the coward hid for the rest of the game afterward.  Don't think he wanted to come out of the box.

The drive by elbow to Roussel's face was the one that got me...how the hell do you get away with that?  Refs were at Starbucks for the third.

Sorry this game was the last straw with Pouliot for me. Lately he seemed to get better, and simplify his game. But last night? Yikes. 

Call up someone else. Send him to the minors. If someone claims him, it's probably going to hurt that club more than losing an asset. 

I'd rather see Beiga for the rest of the season. 

Archived