The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Marcus Johansson a fit on the Canucks?

Could he be a fit in the Canucks top 6? 

He has C/W versatility. Would be an upgrade on Granlund and possibly Goldobin as well.

Has had some injury issues last 2 years, but is still a 20 goal guy when healthy and when paired with good linemates.

Swedish guy only 28 years old. Would have to sign an extension as he is a pending UFA.

Has been part of good Washington Capital teams in the past and has veteran playoff experience.

Teammate of Jay Beagle who can be a reference for his character and plays a 2 way game that should be good enough for Travis Green, and should be a very seamless fit with Petersson.

Could Canucks get him for a 3rd round pick? 

Is this they type of "rental" the Canucks should go for without sacrificing a major draft pick?

38 minutes ago, Pears said:

Goldy and Granlund for Johansson I’d look at doing but not much more than that. 

That is a very expensive price for a rental and UFA to be. Have to have some handshake deal where he would sign an extension for that don't you?

If it was just a pick what they (New Jersey) take just a 2nd rounder if it is clear he doesn't want to come back?

46 minutes ago, Type R said:

I'd rather see Jim use the pick.  28 years old is a little too old for my liking. 

The team could use another good veteran though. He has plenty of quality playoff experience with Washington.

Would really help a young group like the Canucks who need to learn how to win again to finish their rebuild. He can be that Swedish friend on Petersson's line.

It's big for most Euro guys to have a country man not only on the team, but to actually play alongside on the same line or pair and communicate after each shift is big.

Petersson said he was looking forward to talking Swedish with Erik Karlsson, that shows me he is still getting comfortable with North America and speaking English all the time.

Just think a quality vet like MoJo could show him the ropes a little and just take away any uneasiness or questions he might have off the ice.

Along with most importantly being a versatile player who can play anywhere in your top 9.

If were thinking playoffs here it what Im thinking 

To NJ  Goldobin, Sutter  & 7th rd 2020

To Van Johansson, Boyle & 4th rd 2020 ( turns to a 3rd in 2020 if Johansson doesn't re-sign) 

Johansson along side Pettersson 

Boyle brings the size and toughness at 6'6

I'd rather the Canucks target him in the offseason on the off chance he wants to come here. 28 isn't very old, but giving up picks for reclamation projects / peaked borderline top 6 guys should be a big nono in this team.

We are 52 games out from the Sedins.  We are 52 games into the real rebuild.

Also, Sven Baertschi is on this team. And he has shown chemistry with Elias.

5 hours ago, xereau said:

I'd rather the Canucks target him in the offseason on the off chance he wants to come here. 28 isn't very old, but giving up picks for reclamation projects / peaked borderline top 6 guys should be a big nono in this team.

We are 52 games out from the Sedins.  We are 52 games into the real rebuild.

Also, Sven Baertschi is on this team. And he has shown chemistry with Elias.

Sure but I think Baertschi is better utilized to spark Horvat and get him going offensively again.

All season long Horvat has not had quality or consistent offensively talented linemates, he has been saddled with shutdown responsibility with Sutter out.

Maybe try

Baertschi - Horvat- Leivo

Virtanen - Petersson- Boeser

Roussel-Sutter-Eriksson

Motte-Beagle-Granlund

The Sutter checking line shouog be used to take the defensive matchup burden off Horvat. Free him up to focus on creating and scoring goals again.

22 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

The team could use another good veteran though. He has plenty of quality playoff experience with Washington.

Would really help a young group like the Canucks who need to learn how to win again to finish their rebuild. He can be that Swedish friend on Petersson's line.

It's big for most Euro guys to have a country man not only on the team, but to actually play alongside on the same line or pair and communicate after each shift is big.

Petersson said he was looking forward to talking Swedish with Erik Karlsson, that shows me he is still getting comfortable with North America and speaking English all the time.

Just think a quality vet like MoJo could show him the ropes a little and just take away any uneasiness or questions he might have off the ice.

Along with most importantly being a versatile player who can play anywhere in your top 9.

JB's pre-July 1 recruitment strategy?::D

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

You seem to see a different player than most of the rest of us.

You see a top 9 player, I see a guy who has scored 20 goals twice in 566 games

I see a player who peaked and was traded by Washington, who then went on to win a cup without him, you see a player with lots of valuable playoff experience

Btw He has never been out of the second round, you think he has something to teach Petey?

-22 in 62 games over 1.5 seasons since leaving Washinton 

5 hours ago, lmm said:

You seem to see a different player than most of the rest of us.

You see a top 9 player, I see a guy who has scored 20 goals twice in 566 games

I see a player who peaked and was traded by Washington, who then went on to win a cup without him, you see a player with lots of valuable playoff experience

Btw He has never been out of the second round, you think he has something to teach Petey?

-22 in 62 games over 1.5 seasons since leaving Washinton 

I don't think he has something to teach Petersson specifically. But he has been in that environment of being expected to be a contender. He scored a big game winning goal vs the Maple Leafs in round 1 a couple of years back.

The entire Capitals team in the Ovechkin era only got over the 2nd round hump last year beating Crosby and winning the Cup finally.

Don't think you can hold that against Johansson.

He is not physical no. But he does play a decent enough 2  way game when surrounded by good skill players like Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Kuznetsov.

That can't be understated. He has experience playing with and being around good players. This counts for something.

That skill/hockey IQ helps him to play with skill guys like an EP40 and understand how he wants to play and not be a free lancer like Goldobin.

New Jersey is a bad team so I don't read too much into plus minus.

Again not saying he is some great bonafide top 6 guy but he is a better option in all areas that what the Canucks currently have on the roster to play in the top 9 or even top 6.

This is a guy like Sam Gagner who you acquire for cheap like CBJ did, and then when he has a career year playing with EP40 you let somebody else overpay him, like the Canucks overpaid Gagner.

He could become the piece the Canucks hoped Sam Gagner was.

Veteran skill Center/Wing who can playmake, score some goals and help on the PP and play a defensively responsible game.

Unlike Gagner, Johansson is a much better skater. 

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I don't think he has something to teach Petersson specifically. But he has been in that environment of being expected to be a contender. He scored a big game winning goal vs the Maple Leafs in round 1 a couple of years back.

The entire Capitals team in the Ovechkin era only got over the 2nd round hump last year beating Crosby and winning the Cup finally.

Don't think you can hold that against Johansson.

He is not physical no. But he does play a decent enough 2  way game when surrounded by good skill players like Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Kuznetsov.

That can't be understated. He has experience playing with and being around good players. This counts for something.

That skill/hockey IQ helps him to play with skill guys like an EP40 and understand how he wants to play and not be a free lancer like Goldobin.

New Jersey is a bad team so I don't read too much into plus minus.

Again not saying he is some great bonafide top 6 guy but he is a better option in all areas that what the Canucks currently have on the roster to play in the top 9 or even top 6.

This is a guy like Sam Gagner who you acquire for cheap like CBJ did, and then when he has a career year playing with EP40 you let somebody else overpay him, like the Canucks overpaid Gagner.

He could become the piece the Canucks hoped Sam Gagner was.

Veteran skill Center/Wing who can playmake, score some goals and help on the PP and play a defensively responsible game.

Unlike Gagner, Johansson is a much better skater. 

Actually I think he is a great case of assett management by the Caps. Wait until he has a career year then dump him for 2 draft picks

They didn't even trade him for any pieces useful in their Cup run, just future picks, its a case of addition by subtraction

Vancouver picked up Loui, Gagner and Schaller after (near) career years, and they have all underwhelmed just like Johansson in Jersey.

How do you say he will play with Petey but he is not a bonafied top six? don't we already have 6 wingers like that?

11 hours ago, lmm said:

Actually I think he is a great case of assett management by the Caps. Wait until he has a career year then dump him for 2 draft picks

They didn't even trade him for any pieces useful in their Cup run, just future picks, its a case of addition by subtraction

Vancouver picked up Loui, Gagner and Schaller after (near) career years, and they have all underwhelmed just like Johansson in Jersey.

How do you say he will play with Petey but he is not a bonafied top six? don't we already have 6 wingers like that?

My point is, Johansson is a better option than what the Canucks currently have imo, because he has played with high end skill at times like I mentioned with Backstrom etc.

I hope Benning doesn't hoard picks and prospects just for the sake of collecting assets. What good is a mid or late-round pick if the player isn't poised to make the NHL? Benning needs to build a winner, which he seems to be working on, but there's still some dead weight on the team, or positions that need an upgrade. I think Johansson would be a great addition to Pettersson's line. Sure, it might cost a bit, but so do all good players. He would be a big upgrade on Baertschi and Goldobin.

Untouchables (my opinion):

Pettersson

Boeser

Gaudette

Madden

Hughes

Rathbone

Woo

Demko

DiPietro     

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Marcus Johansson a fit on the Canucks?

Archived