The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All eyes on Nanaimo UPDATE Sheila Malcolmson wins

Violator

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well the alternative is the ndp. Pretty poor choices.

it actually took a fair amount of Green vote splitters to ensure the win for the NDP, it was probably a little closer than they would've liked. 

If the Liberals actually had a good leader this might have been an interesting night. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it actually took a fair amount of Green vote splitters to ensure the win for the NDP, it was probably a little closer than they would've liked. 

If the Liberals actually had a good leader this might have been an interesting night. 

If someone didnt vote for the greens pretty sure they wouldnt have voted liberal.

This just shows that the green vote keeps its closer than it should be.

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

If someone didnt vote for the greens pretty sure they wouldnt have voted liberal.

I think a good Liberal leader would have brought out more Liberal voters off the couch and made this a tighter race. As it is, I'm surprised by the turnout for them. 

Fairly safe NDP seat, and she got a larger percent of the votes than Krog in the last Provincial election. Now lets talk about media bias for a minute as well. All the days leading up to this election all I saw from Global, CBC, and the Province. The only media I read mind you, was that IF the Liberals win this seat we could be seeing an election on the horizon. Do they honestly think that Plecas would help the Wilkinson Liberals? I think the new headlines should read, What's next for Andrew Wilkinson? or What's next for the BC Liberals? The next Provincial election is going to be a barnburner.

27 minutes ago, Violator said:

Personally, I'll never vote for NDP for Green, but I'm also from the north where we see the economic impacts these parties have perhaps more than anywhere else in the province. Immediately, when the NDP came in, I saw a number of friends lose their jobs due to changes in ideals. It's not that I necessarily like the Liberals, it's that I deem the NDP (and to a lesser extent the Greens) as being far worse. They don't care about anything other than Vancouver and the island.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think a good Liberal leader would have brought out more Liberal voters off the couch and made this a tighter race. As it is, I'm surprised by the turnout for them. 

There isn't a good liberal leader right now, won't be for years.  Watts would have just been another worthless Harper transplant like Kenney.  A Conservative pretending to care as it was.

Until that party clears its rank and file to the person nothing will change

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There isn't a good liberal leader right now, won't be for years.  Watts would have just been another worthless Harper transplant like Kenney.  A Conservative pretending to care as it was.

Until that party clears its rank and file to the person nothing will change

that seems a little extreme. 

I don't agree, I think based on her record in Surrey she would have been quite popular. Her Harper years were pretty short and gaffes not insurmountable. 

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Jas Johal seems to be the mouth that roared, he looks so angry, that he could spit, everytime he's being interviewed. Would the Liberal party faithful select him as a leader??

Leadership comes in many forms to be honest. General Patton: a leader. Mother Theresa: also a leader. Literally 2 opposite types of people; yet both are leaders.

That being said, I don't know if Jas Johal would be a good leader or not. I think it's hard to tell at times. That being said, I do agree that there's not a lot of potential candidates showing solid "signs" of leadership. Generally those kinds of people that I mentioned above rise up naturally.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Personally, I'll never vote for NDP for Green, but I'm also from the north where we see the economic impacts these parties have perhaps more than anywhere else in the province. Immediately, when the NDP came in, I saw a number of friends lose their jobs due to changes in ideals. It's not that I necessarily like the Liberals, it's that I deem the NDP (and to a lesser extent the Greens) as being far worse. They don't care about anything other than Vancouver and the island.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends losing their jobs. If you don't mind me asking where abouts north are your from? What sector, field, area, did they suffer the job losses from? 

It would be ideal if the parties focused on everyone & what's best for the whole province. 

6 minutes ago, prix57 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your friends losing their jobs. If you don't mind me asking where abouts north are your from? What sector, field, area, did they suffer the job losses from? 

It would be ideal if the parties focused on everyone & what's best for the whole province. 

I'm from Prince George and most of the jobs lost were camp and construction jobs. There were a couple of projects the Liberals had going up here that the NDP immediately cancelled when they came in. Seriously hurt a few people.

Perhaps it's because of who's in office since it's mostly Liberal up here anyway. but we often get considerably more ignored up here when the NDP come in.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Better than the greens they got killed.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, when your leader gets on tv and talks about how great a guy Horgan is and how he'll never vote against him, why bother voting Green? 

Yeah, unfortunately, the Greens pretty much sold out, or at least the leader did. lol

I guess to be fair, the Liberals winning would mean he would have less of a say in government, so it's pretty easy to argue the personal gains he gets from being a "leader that follows someone else".

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, unfortunately, the Greens pretty much sold out, or at least the leader did. lol

I guess to be fair, the Liberals winning would mean he would have less of a say in government, so it's pretty easy to argue the personal gains he gets from being a "leader that follows someone else".

i think you nailed it with "personal gains". Weaver has turned out to be a massive disappointment. I'm sorry about whats happened to the people in your area with the shuttered projects, but so far under Horgan he hasn't made a monumental mistake, like stopping site-c or the lng project, so we can thank the coalition for that at least, and Weavers willingness to fold like a cheap tent to keep his job. 

I was pretty annoyed with the selection of Wilkinson, it just delays the renewal of the Lib's leadership group. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that seems a little extreme. 

I don't agree, I think based on her record in Surrey she would have been quite popular. Her Harper years were pretty short and gaffes not insurmountable. 

Her saving grace would have been Surrey and the NE half of the province, to the rest of BC she was/is a Conservative under Harper.  It's hard to fix those ties which is why you still the idiot generation still mumbling about fast ferries, bingo gate or the like while ignoring 16 years of apparent corruption and allowance of money laundering in BC.

BC's largest demographic doesn't seem to want to let go of the past.  I for one wouldn't have voted for Watts simply because her appointment and change of ideals would have seemed far too self serving for my tastes.  Now if she ran under the actual conservative banner i'd certain;y give her a listen and might be persuaded to lend her a vote, but you don't change your entire ideology in 11 months simply based on political expediency.  

That just smacks of personal gain over a desire to lead the party you're truly aligned with

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Her saving grace would have been Surrey and the NE half of the province, to the rest of BC she was/is a Conservative under Harper.  It's hard to fix those ties which is why you still the idiot generation still mumbling about fast ferries, bingo gate or the like while ignoring 16 years of apparent corruption and allowance of money laundering in BC.

BC's largest demographic doesn't seem to want to let go of the past.  I for one wouldn't have voted for Watts simply because her appointment and change of ideals would have seemed far too self serving for my tastes.  Now if she ran under the actual conservative banner i'd certain;y give her a listen and might be persuaded to lend her a vote, but you don't change your entire ideology in 11 months simply based on political expediency.  

That just smacks of personal gain over a desire to lead the party you're truly aligned with

I don't know. I think a lot of things get blurred after a while. For example, the BC Liberals are more like the Conservatives of Canada while the NDP are... I was going to say like the Liberals of Canada but that doesn't seem right at all. I'll stand by the first part though.. lol

So I'm not too worried if she's going from the Harper Conservatives to the BC Liberals in that regard as we have no Conservative party in sight in this province.

Archived