The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Fabbro

Provost

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok...………..once Edler is back

Hutton + Schaller for Brook + 3rd

Misread this as an Edler proposal.  Hutton is interesting.  Montresl is thin on the left side. That said Schaller doesn’t bring much appeal.  Essentially it would be Brook for Hutton.  Not sure how I feel about it considering how bad Hutton was last season. But it’s a lot closer to being a trade Montresl makes 

McKenzie on Insider Trading says Fabbro would like to turn pro as soon as his season is over - says it gives Nashville either a depth D or a trade chip.  They've called CBJ on Panarin but price is still too high that far out from the deadline.  

Poile says if he does anything it's for an offensive player.  He adds that he might not do anything if his group can get it done - he's pointing the finger at their 2nd line. 

Nashville has plenty of Cs - Johansen, Turris, Bonino, Jarnkrok, Sissons.  Jarnkrok, Sissons and Bonino are bottom-6 Cs (who can also play wing) and all 3 are solid defensively.  Sutter is redundant whether they keep Boyle or not.  Boyle has mostly been playing wing in NJD this season and has also started at wing in Nashville.  

Nashville moved away from a pure shutdown line - they want 4 lines that can score.  Bonino is scoring despite being in a shutdown role.  He has the same role as Sutter but is significantly more productive.  He has the lowest zone starts on Nashville (even lower than Sutter) but is producing at twice his rate.  He can also play higher in the lineup but so can Sissons and Jarnkrok.  

They moved Weber because they noticed that in the playoffs they were playing more defence than offence.  They want Ds who can cycle the puck in the o-zone and maintain possession.  That's not Gudbranson.  They let go of all their defensive D prospects explaining that it's not how the game is played anymore and that mobility from the Ds is the most important thing. 

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Guys take a look at this prospects list...………………..does it change your minds as to Fabbro's value? I am not sure......

I would be interested to hear your answers, as part of this proposal

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/butchs-list-of-the-top-175-drafted-prospects.2591031/

Sebastian Aho is ranked #93 on that list.  Last I checked he has 60 points in 53 games in the NHL.  Based on that he should be first on that list...

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Nashville will want to load up, and already have a set top 4 D.  Fabbro is coming out of college in a few weeks, and TSN is suggesting that he could be a trade piece.

What would it take on our end?

Sutter with cap retained is a good piece for a contending team, they have space and need for him next season as well unless they plan on re-signing Boyle.  Gudbranson could serve their desire for some more grit in their lineup and wouldn’t be asked to do too much in more limited minutes.  A 2020 2nd round pick is a decent add in from our side as it gives them a future while giving us a more NHL ready prospect.

Not sure the exact package we would have to put together, but he is the type/age of player we need to target.

Nashvillr is probably big game hunting, but if they don’t land a big name, veteran depth could be a backup plan.

Sorry Provost to go in a different direction...…...I really like Fabbro, but it sure seems he isn't going to get traded

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nashville is in win now mode. I doubt they would let Fabbro go for less than Brock Boeser. 

That makes no sense.

There is no indication that Fabbro will be some sort of impact star right out of the gate that would help them win now.  Especially considering he would be playing in very limited 3rd pairing minutes behind a very strong veteran top 4 D.

Aside from very few exceptions, young D take time to hit their stride and become impact players.  Fabbro is a “futures” asset and not a “win now” one.

Your statement is them wanting to win now is true.  That is literally why they would be willing to part with a guy that will help them down the road.

The Boeser connection is ludicrous.  Fabbro probably doesn’t even get you Virtanen.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Fabro that good we would give up assets for him?  I thought he was just finishing off his fourth year, and heading to UFA status this August?  I don’t think it’s good to trade for him, when we could just get him for dollars in August.  

This is his third year I am pretty sure. Not that it matters, pretty sure it was mentioned a while ago that when his college season is up he is gonna join Nashville.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nashville is in win now mode. I doubt they would let Fabbro go for less than Brock Boeser. 

A prospect, save Austin Matthews / Elias Pettersson destroying the SHL type level prospect will never be worth a 22 year old forward already proven capable of scoring at a 40 goal 70 point rate.

Never.

A very small % of prospects, even strong prospects, see Eeli Tolvanen, achieve what Brock is doing, and will do. 

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A prospect, save Austin Matthews / Elias Pettersson destroying the SHL type level prospect will never be worth a 22 year old forward already proven capable of scoring at a 40 goal 70 point rate.

Never.

A very small % of prospects, even strong prospects, see Eeli Tolvanen, achieve what Brock is doing, and will do. 

Yep, it was a dumb comment... the rest didn’t make sense either.

I am really surprised at the variety of valuations on this prospect.  It makes no sense.

Fabbro for Virtanen I probably wouldn’t even do, mostly because we have no guarantee Fabbro will be any good at the NHL level... or if he will be Pouliot, who was selected way higher at 8th overall.  

Archived