The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Feb. 07, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Not sure why so many of you have a hard on for Gaudette. He looks like a 3rd or 4th line player out there. I don't think he'll ever top more than 40 points in a season for his entire career.

uhm, dont think anyone on this fourm said they had a hard on for adam gaudette?, im optimistic he could become a full time player, so what are you trying too qoute?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would really like to see this team utilize some of the depth it has built up on the farm.

In a season like this and at this current stage with injuries, we should be seeing what we have in guys like Brisebois, MacEwan, Gaudette and Dahlen.

Really what's the harm? Are they really going to cost us games right now? As it stands, guys like Goldobin and Pouliot are not getting it done. Time to give younger hungrier players opportunities. 

DeNiro

You can yell until you are blue in the face....these guys won't get it. All they see (and Benning and Green as well) is the possible 16th and last Playoff spot, and that is the only thing they are looking at...……..It frustrates me to no end, to see our prospects...…Demko, Gaudette, McEwen, Juolevi, Sautner, and McEneny not getting meaningful games up 

here when there are injuries.

It frustrates me even further, that Benning and his Co (CDC fans included) thinking that going for the brass ring (16 OA ) is more important than getting a handle on these young guys and moving out players that should not be in the long terms plans of the Canucks...…...and showing them, they are more than seat warmers in Utica, and really do  fit into the Canucks big picture, It only goes to remind me that Tryamkin may have been the first to feel this. As if I was sitting in Utica at 24 like McEneny, and I could play better than Pouliot, and not seeing a call up, I might go find another team...……..I am absolutely sure Edmonton would be looking at him, and a few others as well.

There needs to be a system for the second tier players, who finally get to a point where they can compete, but are still not get called up. There needs to be a policy that over-rides Coaches and assistant coaches, who are more concerned with developing a player for 2 years, and not seeing any improvement.

We (the Canucks) need to take the next step and develop that mentality...……..development does not just happen in Utica, but happens slowly, having seen samples to understand the actually strength, force, agility, speed, [positioning of an nhl player, on a nhl team, who when collectively playing play at a much higher pace and flow.

This is why you bring up those players (up for a few games with sheltered minutes) back down to practice what he has learned, and again later having the same opportunity to show you upper management and coach, that you have learned those lessons, and a chance to as for more.

I like our team this year, but I am more concerned with building a new team, than being afraid to make moves......because  a playoff may be close...….

It frustrates me>

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

DeNiro

You can yell until you are blue in the face....these guys won't get it. All they see (and Benning and Green as well) is the possible 16th and last Playoff spot, and that is the only thing they are looking at...……..It frustrates me to no end, to see our prospects...…Demko, Gaudette, McEwen, Juolevi, Sautner, and McEneny not getting meaningful games up 

It frustrates me even further, that Benning and his Co (CDC fans included) thinking that going for the brass ring (16 OA ) is more important than getting a handle on these young guys and moving out players that should not be in the long terms plans of the Canucks...…...and showing them, they are more than seat warmers in Utica, and really do  fit into the Canucks big picture, It only goes to remind me that Tryamkin may have been the first to feel this. As if I was sitting in Utica at 24 like McEneny, and I could play better than Pouliot, and not seeing a call up, I might go find another team...……..I am absolutely sure Edmonton would be looking at him, and a few others as well.

There needs to be a system for the second tier players, who finally get to a point where they can compete, but are still not get called up. There needs to be a policy that over-rides Coaches and assistant coaches, who are more concerned with developing a player for 2 years, and not seeing any improvement.

We (the Canucks) need to take the next step and develop that mentality...……..development does not just happen in Utica, but happens slowly, having seen samples to understand the actually strength, force, agility, speed, [positioning of an nhl player, on a nhl team, who when collectively playing play at a much higher pace and flow.

This is why you bring up those players (up for a few games with sheltered minutes) back down to practice what he has learned, and again later having the same opportunity to show you upper management and coach, that you have learned those lessons, and a chance to as for more.

I like our team this year, but I am more concerned with building a new team, than being afraid to make moves......because  a playoff may be close...….

It frustrates me>

Maybe the coaching staffs in both Utica and Vancouver don’t believe they are ready.

Maybe the coaching staff and players actually want to make the playoffs cause, you know, they compete for a living and want to win? 

Maybe we’re in a win win situation as if we make the playoffs the tempo, intensity and competitiveness rachette up 8 knotches and having our young guys get to know what it takes kind of matters, maybe you don’t just tank till you get your NHL 19 roster perfect so you can go 82-0 and win the cup all at once? And if we don’t we get a lottery pick! Happy days for you and the shiny new toy crowd! 

Go play a sport competitively man. Anyone who has is laughing at your nonsense 

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

When this team loses a key veteran, it's evident

Hit the nail on the head... Sign of a rebuilding team.  Little veteran depth for almost 3 seasons and counting.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Unlike last couple years... There's hope!

2 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Maybe the coaching staffs in both Utica and Vancouver don’t believe they are ready.

Maybe the coaching staff and players actually want to make the playoffs cause you know they compete for a living 

Maybe we’re in a win win situation as if we make the playoffs the tempo, intensity and competitiveness rachette up 8 knotches and having our young guys get to know what it takes kind of matters, maybe you don’t just tank till you get your NHL 19 roster perfect so you can go 82-0 and win the cup all at once? 

Go play a sport competitively man. Anyone who has is laughing at your nonsense 

so says a guy with a 120 posts...……..pffff!

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

so says a guy with a 120 posts...……..pffff!

So posts on a message board indicate one’s level of hockey knowledge?

lol wow just ......wow

i guess I should go post on a medical board 87k times and I’ll be a doctor! 

Smh what an idiotic comment 

1 minute ago, 40Dangles said:

lol wow just ......wow

Not as idiotic as your NHL 19 comment

You can make a counter point without insulting someone

This is not HF Boards...…..

you want to fling $hit on here...….be ready to get it back

If you want to join a conversation......please join and make it worth while

We have a lot of knowledge on here, and we are all still learning

and there are a lot of diverse opinions on here

and we need to respect those opinions...……..

I personally have learned a lot on here from young and old posters alike....

and some time I will put up a post that you will absolutely disagree on

and I am enticing you to voice your knowledge, and what you think

and sometimes you will change my mind....I like that!

Be cool and bring up good points.....we have some pretty smart people on here

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

The problem is getting those guys to Vancouver. Several players will need to hit waivers.

Goldobin won't hit waivers, it's clear management hasn't given up on him. And he's better than several players currently on the roster.

What really sucks, and this is Benning's fault, is that Schaller clearly shouldn't be on the roster. He just hasn't been the player he was last year in Boston. Apparently ownership isn't interested in seeing Schaller and Gagner buried in the minors. The team picked one to send to the AHL. They picked Gagner. Schaller will probably get the Gagner treatment next year if he isn't dealt at the deadline or in the summer.

I think there's a genuine case to be made that Granlund should be waived. He's never going to hit that 19 goal season and is a shell of his potential. The trade that got him was a big win for the Canucks but he's not very productive anymore. MacEwen would be better in the bottom six. He's got size, a shot, and uses his body. He's also the ultimate underdog in this organization. Undrafted QMJHL player who wasn't even in the Q during his draft year. He's clawed his way up at every level. There was a hit piece article written about him at CanucksArmy calling his signing "a waste of a contract space" and "pour asset management" that caused the writer of the article to write an apology article a year later about how WRONG he was to write that article in the first place. MacEwen has the intangibles of compete and character, exactly what the Canucks like. He should see some time with the Canucks before the season ends. Ideally before the deadline.

Pouliot needs to go. He's just bad. He plays that sloppy style of hockey that is AHL hockey. He's probably the Reid Boucher of defensemen in this organization. He's not good enough and should not be a regular NHLer but will probably be a perennial AHL all-star. He'd be great in Utica if he clears. And I think he'd clear. He, like Del Zotto, probably spends September on a PTO elsewhere. That's why waiving won't be a waste. The Canucks got him by trading a 4th and a KHLer for him. Losing the 4th sucks but he did play a season and a half for us. The player selected in the 4th round probably never plays an NHL game. It's time to take your losses. It's sort of a "meh" deal. Canucks win it, but it doesn't feel like a win. I'd replace Pouliot with Brisebois, Sautner, McEneny, or Chatfield. Preferably Sautner first since he showed well at the end of last season. Then, Brisebois. Then McEneny. And then Chatfield.  That's just my opinion.

Gaudette is a unique case. He should be in the NHL. He's better than Sutter. He's a point per game at the AHL level. He's the future 3rd line C of this team. He should be centering our third scoring line. Problem is, Sutter is in the way. And Sutter needs to get moved. Sutter probably doesn't get moved this season. And that sucks. Sutter's been a good stopgap between generations of Canucks. But Sutter's deal is one year too long and it's costing the Canucks now. The Canucks would be in a better position with Gaudette in the lineup. He's faster and more skilled than Sutter. Only downside is that Sutter is a better "defensive" player. I don't hate Gaudette playing in the AHL for the back half of the season. It'll be good to give him 1C time and confidence and it's good to have him develop some chemistry with Zack MacEwen because, in the future, I could see a Leivo/Gaudette/MacEwen line really taking off as our 3rd line when the Canucks hit there prime. The real question for the Canucks is do they trust Gaudette enough to move Sutter in the summer. I'm sure if they deal Sutter in the offseason and don't take a significant body back -- especially on draft day -- there'd probably be cheers at Rogers Arena. Big question will be if management has the balls to pull the trigger. Because Horvat/Pettersson/Gaudette/Beagle down the middle is pretty damn solid. Add in a Tyler Madden in March 2020 (that's when I expect he'll go pro), things are going to get interesting.

I think it's best for the Canucks to let Dahlen play the entire year in Utica. He's still adjusting. And there isn't a spot in the Top 6 for him at the moment. My worry is that he'll become a "Goldobin" type of player without the right kind of development. I don't expect Dahlen to get NHL games this year but should get some next season.

The player I'd absolutely love to see get some games at the tail end of this season is Lukas Jasek. He's such a fun player to watch in Utica. He's all over the ice, creates plays, and never seems discouraged by lack of playing time. I think he's going to be a Canucks for awhile. He's from the same draft class as Boeser, Gaudette, and Brisebois (2015), so he should be close to getting some NHL time. Honestly, Schaller's probably the reason Jasek won't get NHL time this season AND THAT BLOWS. Because I think if you have Motte, Jasek, and Roussel buzzing around your bottom six, you're going to create a lot of fast havoc for the opposition and it would just make for some VERY fun hockey to watch. 

The other anchor on this Canucks team is Eriksson. There's rumors he may retire after July 1 as that's the last year of his HUGE bonuses. As the rest of the contract mellows out. His NMC becomes a NTC. If Eriksson doesn't retire (as I suspect, he's still young-ish), there's definitely a market for him. Probably a cap floor team will take him on. Ottawa comes to mind. Maybe Carolina. Or Arizona. He's solid defensively but he's a shell of his former self. I suspect if he gets injured near the end of season, much like last season, the Canucks will just "shut him down" for the year and let a young guy play. MacEwen/Jasek probably come in to replace him. That's the best hope.

Outside of trading him, I legitimately don't know what to make of Gudbranson being on this roster. I like his size? He seems like a really nice guy? But that's about it... UGH, why did the Canucks re-sign him last year?!?!?!?

But I'm with you. Wish the Canucks would get the young guys in. I just don't know HOW they get the young guys in.

Probably the best post I've ever seen on CDC

40 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

lol wow just ......wow

This is not the kind of discussion most on these boards like to have.  Calling someone idiotic helps, how?

You might want to read and absorb this:

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/

I can point out at least 3 fallacies in your previous 2 posts.

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Tanev was a beast all game. Not sure what game you watched. We have to ride him because we have Poo on our team 

not Tanev’s fault we rode him like a mule 

Without Edler Tanev has to do more.  The record since Edler got injured is consistent with previous times he got hurt.  We struggle to win without Edler in the lineup.  Blaming Tanev is a new thing, guess the CDC has a new whipping boy.  

Some fans have no respect for long time club veterans.  Tanev and the defence is going to struggle without Edler.  Heck Edler is the finger in the dam.  Tanev isnt the problem for our defence.  

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

DeNiro

It frustrates me>

I don't think the playoffs are a brass ring to this team.  This team is only going to get better with most, if not all our key players being well under 25.  

Every team has to compete to be successful, the fact that JB isnt going to add picks for the sake of adding picks in the regular season this year is justified.  This team needs to be built up not torn down.  With Edler injured, this changes the equation.  This team will struggle without their best defense man in the line up.  No depth on d.  

As for the players in Utica, Green knows most of them really well.  Far better than any one on this board.  I cannot say why this player is called up vs another.  Mcenemy is a guy I would like to see, but for reasons he isnt the guy they want.  

Hard to argue with a team that has become competitive in a year that everyone believed would be dead last.  Hard to argue that this team ignores its young talent when it is successful solely based on young talent.  

10 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Got a point at least so not too disappointed.

Our PP single handily lost us that game; Newell Brown needs to GTFO!

Tanny’s play has been poor since Eagle got hurt. 

Guddy and Pooalot- :picard: just no. They made me nervous every time they are on the ice.

Bo is so snakebitten; it’s hard to see him so frustrated.

Leivo was fantastic; great pickup JB. 

Get well soon Eagle. 

Guddy & Hutton: isn't working

Guddy & Pouliot: isn't working

Some Canucks fans contend that Guddy would be fine out there if there was a D- Partner compensating Guddy's weaknesses.

Obviously Canucks don't have this kind of D-Man on the roster.

Is there a D-Man in this league who would be able to make up for Guddy's deficiencies?

The only explanation I have right now for extending Guddy's contract is that Jim might had thought that Guddy's trade value would rise once Guddy is regularly playing games and not being injured (he missed tons of games in his first two seasons as a Canuck).

It seems like that his current trade value is as low as it has been at the time his contract was extended.

Canucks would have been better off to swallow the pill of losing Guddy to free agency and getting nothing for him. Should have record the expenses coming with an write off of an asset in the category sunk costs in the books.

I am really curious how much Jim will get for him. First of all there needs to be a team who wants to add Guddy to their roster. 

In terms of Bo Horvat.  the situation he is in is pretty frustrating.

He just does not have the linemates he needs to have on the top line to get on the scoreboard on most of the nights.

To be honest: after each game day I check the standings in order to see how far the bottom feeders like L.A. , Jersey, Ottawa are behind the Canucks. Hope that those teams win some hockey games to close the gap. Hopefully Canucks finish this season at the bottom in order to pick in the top 5. Hockey gods are with the Canucks on lottery date and we pick a high end scoring winger like Kaapo Kakko or Vasili Podkolzin for the top line.

Getting another 1st round pick and get a RHD who projects as a top 4 D-Man would not hurt.

Archived