The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-vaccination, whats old is new again

JM_

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

We are supposed to be in the “age of information” but sadly, the opposite is true. Its really the age of misinformation. 

Before the internet, people had to really work to spread ideas, and the process generally weeded out the moronic ones before they could genuinely affect society. Now, all a person needs is a smart phone and some free wifi courtesy of rotten ronnies to spread things like “flat earth theory”, “vaccines are bad” rhetoric, and “latest kardashian news”.  

It spreads like a virus, because the human race is generally ignorant, lazy, and has an inherent need to feel special yet still fit in with a specific group. 

I learned when i was young that a human needs only three things to survive, food shelter and water. Those things are basically given to even the poorest, lowliest person in most if not all developed countries. Yes i believe even homeless people, mental illnesses notwithstanding, have access to these three basic things through shelters and food banks etc. What im trying to say is that basic necessity of life has changed. Its an existence founded on followers, likes, upvotes, and views. Social standing trumps all (no pun intended). 

The human race has become stagnant, for the most part. We see it in our arts...acting, music, research and development etc. I watched a season of a new show on netflix called “Knightfall”. I quite enjoyed it but then i thought for a few minutes after and realized that i had basically known what was going to happen, when, and to who episodes before it did. I realized that, while i was entertained and enjoyed it, the basic plot was not something new or particularly creative. 

I kinda went off on a tangent there so ill attempt to summarize what im trying to get across. 

Essentially, the easy access of “information” and basic necessities of life, has skewed the human perspective so much that common sense takes a back seat to a particular narrative, whichever that may be. 

In this case, some people immunized their “too early to diagnose” autistic children, and blamed the vaccines because they refuse to take any responsibility. One moron becomes two, two becomes four, and all of a sudden we have people believing that its more likely that the governments are conspiring together with pictures of the earth from space, than it is that the earth is not flat. 

OG kush or grapefruit sour diesel?

Just in case there are still people here who think that not vaccinating children is no big deal:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/unvaccinated-us-boy-almost-dies-from-tetanus-in-rare-case-that-cost-dollar1m/ar-BBUDIby?li=AAggFp5

An unvaccinated boy almost died after falling seriously ill with the first case of tetanus in one US state for more than 30 years.

The six-year-old spent two months in hospital with the bacterial illness after suffering a deep cut while playing in a farm in Oregon, according to a case study published by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

His care cost nearly $1m, about 72 times the average for a pediatric hospitalization in the US, noted the paper, in a case that has alarmed preventative medicine experts.

The unidentified child received an emergency dose of the tetanus vaccine in the hospital, but his parents declined to give him a second dose – or any other childhood immunization injections – after he recovered.

"When I read that, my jaw dropped. I could not believe it,” said William Schaffner, a professor of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Tennessee. “That's a tragedy and a misunderstanding, and I'm just flabbergasted.”

He added: “This is an awful disease, but ... we have had a mechanism to completely prevent it, and the reason that we have virtually no cases anymore in the United States is because we vaccinate, literally, everyone."

Cases of tetanus have dropped by 95 per cent since widespread vaccination began in the US in the 1940s.

Judith Guzman-Cottrill, the pediatrician who treated the Oregon child, said she had never seen tetanus in a patient before the 2017 case, details of which were made public on Friday.

The boy was rushed to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland with muscle spasms so severe he could not talk, could not open his mouth and was struggling to breathe.

He was unable to drink liquids for 44 days and subsequently required weeks of rehabilitation before he was able to walk, run and ride a bike.

"We had a hard time taking care of this child – watching him suffer – and it is a preventable disease," Dr Guzman-Cottrill said.

Doctors who treated the boy declined to provide any further information about his family, citing medical privacy laws.

Details of the case emerged as politicians in Oregon and Washington consider bills that would end non-medical exemptions for routine childhood vaccines.

The debate comes as the northwest states weather their third month of a measles outbreak. Seventy people, most of them unvaccinated children, have been diagnosed with the highly contagious viral illness in southwest Washington this year. There have also been a handful of cases in Portland.

Unlike measles, which is a virus, a patient who has survived a case of tetanus is not immune and can get the illness again if they remain unvaccinated.

Tetanus is transmitted by bacterial spores found in soil, household dust and human or animal feces, rather than person-to-person through sneezing or coughing.

Symptoms including muscle spasms, lockjaw, breathing difficulties and seizures typically begin within three to 21 days. The disease can cause severe disability or death.

55 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

If the government(s) really cared about our health, why are they allowing Monsanto (for starters) to continue poisoning people ?

26 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Poisoning people? Explain.

Let's try and keep this centered around one tin foil hat topic.  We don't need to derail this thread with GMO/Monsanto talk.  I'm sure if ya dig, you may find a thread centered around GMO's and Monsanto.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Let's try and keep this centered around one tin foil hat topic.  We don't need to derail this thread with GMO/Monsanto talk.  I'm sure if ya dig, you may find a thread centered around GMO's and Monsanto.

lol Monsanto's practices are hardly a 'tin foil' topic  SMH.  You don't need to dig to far to find information.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

My post still stands.  That could easily occupy its own thread.

The problem is, once you believe in one tin foil hat theory, the rest are easy to believe because you now have a biased point of view.

Here we go again:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/angela-price-nhls-carey-prices-wife-promotes-alternative-vaccine-schedule-on-instagram/ar-BBULVmd?ocid=spartandhp

"

It's been 20 years since actress Jenny McCarthy insisted vaccines gave her son autism — a statement with no scientific founding.

The study she based this opinion on has been retracted, and the author lost his medical license. It's a claim that has been proven wrong time and again — the newest, largest-ever study shows there is absolutely no link between the MMR vaccine and autism.

We're now feeling the increasing effects of the fear this falsehood has helped create. Cases of measles are spiking around the world, and the World Health Organization has listed "vaccine hesitancy" on its list of top threats to global health.

Now, another famous mom is making claims about vaccines, albeit less controversial, but the effects could still be dangerous. Angela Price, a lifestyle blogger who is married to Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price, posted a video Tuesday promoting an "alternative" vaccine schedule to her 124,000 Instagram followers. Her two young daughters are vaccinated, she confirms in the video, but under certain conditions.

"I do do most of the vaccines, not all of them, and I do an alternative schedule," Price said.

"So like today, Millie will only get two vaccines, because I only do one live vaccine each time."

a person taking a selfie: .© Provided by Oath Inc. .

Price's comments came as she recommended helpful baby books to new parents on the occasion of her daughter, Millie, turning two months old.

One book she suggested parents check out was The Vaccine Bookby Robert Sears, a California pediatrician whose medical license was placed on probation last year for alleged medical negligence and inappropriately exempting a toddler from all vaccines, according to Forbes.

"I absolutely loved it," Price said of the book.

"I think the biggest problem with vaccines is people aren't educating themselves. You don't know what you're putting into your child."

Video player from: Oath (Privacy Policy)

Don't follow Price's lead: Pediatrician

Alternative vaccine schedules are not recommended by health professionals and parents shouldn't take Price's advice, Dr. Michael Dickinson, a pediatrician in Miramichi, N.B, and former president of the Canadian Paediatric Society, told HuffPost Canada in a phone interview.

The routine vaccine schedule isn't arbitrary, he added.

"It was set up in order to offer maximum protection for children at a time when they are most vulnerable, so if you deviate from the normal schedule for whatever reason, you are almost always introducing risk and leaving kids vulnerable to these infections at a time when they're most at risk," Dickinson said.

"Stick with the schedule."

It worries Dickinson when people with influence, such as Price, promote views that go against medical advice, he said.

"It does make me worried, especially when the basis for a lot of these recommendations isn't sound."

The problem with alternative vaccine schedules

Sears is infamous for promoting an alternative vaccine schedule, "a formula by which parents can delay, withhold, separate, or space out vaccines," according to 2009 publication in Pediatrics that outlines all the problems in the 2007 book. The publication's authors — who include Dr. Paul A. Offit, the chief of Infectious Diseases and the director of the Vaccine Education Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia — say Sears' book misinforms parents.

"At the heart of the problem with Sears' schedules is the fact that, at the very least, they will increase the time during which children are susceptible to vaccine-preventable diseases. If more parents insist on Sears' vaccine schedules, then fewer children will be protected, with the inevitable consequence of continued or worsening outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases," the authors wrote.

"In an effort to protect children from harm, Sears' book will likely put more in harm's way."

Experts in Canada strongly encourage parents to stick to the routine vaccine schedules set by each province.

"Vaccines work best when they are given on time, beginning when your child is very young," the Public Health Agency of Canada notes on its website. "The vaccination schedule is designed to protect your child before they are exposed to vaccine-preventable diseases."

On Wednesday, in light of the measles outbreak, Canada's Chief Public Health Officer urged healthcare professionals to talk to vaccine-hesitant parents.

"Seeds of doubt are often planted by misleading, or worse, entirely false information being spread in campaigns that target parents on social media and the internet. It is no wonder some parents are confused and concerned," Dr. Theresa Tam said in a news release.

"Parents want only the best for their children, always. Some parents may question, hesitate or delay vaccinating their children for a variety of reasons, but they all want to protect their children from harm."

More from HuffPost Canada:

On Thursday, in response to the "big deal" she says was made of her Instagram post, Price posted a blog explaining and defending her stance on vaccines.

"I do all the vaccines, I just use an alternative schedule. For an example instead of giving 4 vaccines at 2 months, I would do two at 2 months and then another two at 3 months," Price wrote.

But, she also wrote that "following any doctor blindly is not ideal" is not ideal.

"It is shocking how many parents don't even know what disease they are vaccinating their kids for, let alone the ingredients in these vaccines," Price wrote.

"Lastly, I do not consider myself an expert on this subject but I have done my homework and discussed it at length with my doctor so I feel very comfortable with my decision. I do believe that vaccines are not 100% safe for 100% of kids so I respect any decision a family makes regarding this subject."

This article originally appeared on HuffPost Canada.

" i feel vaccines are not 100% safe for 100% of people so i respect the decision of parents"

Says the wife of a dude who's job is to stop 100mph chunk of rubber flying at him 30 times a night, 3 nights a week for 9 months a year, for 20 years. Brilliant.

There is no such thing as 100% safe for 100% of people. Ever.

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

" i feel vaccines are not 100% safe for 100% of people so i respect the decision of parents"

Says the wife of a dude who's job is to stop 100mph chunk of rubber flying at him 30 times a night, 3 nights a week for 9 months a year, for 20 years. Brilliant.

There is no such thing as 100% safe for 100% of people. Ever.

Are these two paragraphs supposed to relate?

also,  what are the stats for puck related injuries to the head/face for nhl goaltender s?  Worth noting that they aren’t stopping pucks for free.

i dunno,  this is a senseless post for you imo.  Which is a shocker wadr.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Are these two paragraphs supposed to relate?

also,  what are the stats for puck related injuries to the head/face for nhl goaltender s?  Worth noting that they aren’t stopping pucks for free.

i dunno,  this is a senseless post for you imo.  Which is a shocker wadr.

the relation is, she is calling out an essential medical service for children as potentially unsafe because its not 100% safe for 100% people - well, taking a puck to the face isn't 100% safe for 100% of goalies either. Almost every single goalie has taken a puck to the side of the head/above the ears atleast once in their career, if not more. its a long-shot but rupturing that artery thats just behind your ear usually means death in quick time. 

If I was heartless...

I would say that you're not medically covered if your children contracted a disease due to your children not being vaccinated.  Let's use a form for those who opt out (so they can't say they forgot or some other BS).  A percentage of the costs of treating your child will be garnished from your wages (I'm not totally heartless).