The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

If someone comments my post I usually try to respond. So if ten different poster address me and I answer it quickly gets a lot of me in a thread. Some poster here doesn't seem to understand that process and take it out on me also with excessive posting as result. 

It might be Dahlen only that is the problem but what he speaks of is enough for me to start an investigation and maybe change how the coaches work in what many here calls the second best league in the world. I think they, AHL definately, should recruit more coaches from Sweden, Europe.

Do you accept the possibility that Dahlen might just not be NHL quality? 

• Upvote 1

It's not at all possible that Dahlen just isn't that great right? 

57GP

14G

19A

33PTS

Average at best

He had potential but can't take criticism and obviously isn't mentally mature or tough enough to take the next step. The kid left to go to his safety blanket and that says a lot about his character and compete levels. He wasn't able to rise to the challenge, argue it however you like it's a fact and if you can't except it clearly you have a close minded point of view.

Everyone isn't ganging up on you but having a honest conversation. Perhaps you should consider that.

I guess when you're a fan of a second tier organization and are in total denial it's easy to make ridiculous claims like the SHL is the 2nd best league in the world. (It is a good league but I'd argue the list is more like NHL/KHL/AHL/SHL)

I'm sure Ikea is also known for hand crafted quality furniture too haha. 

At the end of the day he's a soft player who steers away from the gritty areas of the game, can't play defense to save his life amongst tougher competition and should fit right in in a lower league to match his offense only skill set. 

You can have offensive flash all day but to play in the NHL you gotta be well rounded which is why the AHL is the best development league for the big show. I guess some guys just can't cut it..... or accept it. 

I'm sure the coaching staff in San Jose and here in Vancouver are the ones who got it wrong and you are clearly right Timrafan

Edited by KanNuck

14 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

It's not at all possible that Dahlen just isn't that great right? 

57GP

14G

19A

33PTS

Average at best

if he was a dominant physical presence that would be good production, but unfortunately for a small winger thats not going to cut it most of the time. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

if he was a dominant physical presence that would be good production, but unfortunately for a small winger thats not going to cut it most of the time. 

I think he had good production but wasn't responding to constructive criticism.  Whatever the coaches were saying both Utica and in San Jose was meant to help him develope his overall game and become an NHL regular someday. 

His production was decent for a first year pro almost even good but his defensive game is nill and he has to put the work in like everyone else. I guess tho like I said he's falling into his safety blanket and going to play in a lower league, taking two steps back. Says a lot about his compete levels not rising to it or trying to overcome his situation.

Kids not Petey that's for sure and Timrafan needs to stop thinking he is. Petey plays defense and has sound positioning to go with his offensive game. 

Edited by KanNuck
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Hard coaches has nothing to do with screaming etc. 

If you're a brute as coach and can't communicate what you want from a player, you have a problem. I've not read anything from Dahlen were he talked about being rattled by the coaches. It's more like he didn't understand why they did as they did that was the big problem. 

Johnathan Dahlen - " I have not been able to do things offensively without being afraid of being benched if I make mistakes" 

To me this sounds like a player being asked to play two way hockey and being held accountable like every other player in our system, players who don't complain like Dahlen.

Where do you get your facts? Aside from you I have seen nowhere and nothing to indicate he was being yelled at or screamed at as you claim here in this thread multiple times. 

Please provide sources if your gonna continue to use that as a point to base your argument. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Do you accept the possibility that Dahlen might just not be NHL quality? 

Off course... I have alteady stated before that I don't have a problem with that. 

I think though that Utica might be very wrong for some players and that tha Canucks should choose other growth leagues for prospects. To let Dahlen play in Utica if he wasn't ready is wrong. If so they should have let him play in SHL instead for a season to see if it's worth bringing him to NHL/AHL 

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Off course... I have alteady stated before that I don't have a problem with that. 

I think though that Utica might be very wrong for some players and that tha Canucks should choose other growth leagues for prospects. To let Dahlen play in Utica if he wasn't ready is wrong. If so they should have let him play in SHL instead for a season to see if it's worth bringing him to NHL/AHL 

He did go back for a season after getting mono in the offseason. He could've played in the SHL but chose the lower league and looked admirable at the time trying to bring "his" team to the SHL, in which he did. He came over, didn't like it, now went back and instead of going to the SHL to prove himself in the higher level, he has chosen to go back to the lower league again. Isn't he hurting his own development with his choices?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

He did go back for a season after getting mono in the offseason. He could've played in the SHL but chose the lower league and looked admirable at the time trying to bring "his" team to the SHL, in which he did. He came over, didn't like it, now went back and instead of going to the SHL to prove himself in the higher level, he has chosen to go back to the lower league again. Isn't he hurting his own development with his choices?

Well, I don't know who chosed what. The different teams or Dahlen or his agent or... 

Do you know? 

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I don't know who chosed what. The different teams or Dahlen or his agent or... 

Do you know? 

Why would his agent choose for him which destination he should play in? Especially if hurts his player's development. Only time an agent may suggest a team/league to play in is maybe for negotiating purposes. Going back to a 2nd division team doesn't seem to go along with any of this. I think I'll rule the agent out on this one.

Teams can make offers to players, but they don't get to force a player to play for them. A trade may put a player in a situation they do not like, but if the player/agent requested out, then that's out of their control. The NHL team can choose for a player to play in the AHL if they feel the player is not suited for the NHL yet. It is on the player to demonstrate and follow the direction of the coaching staff to find the path back to the NHL. At the end of the day, I doubt Timra chose for Dahlen to join them. I'm sure that an SHL team could likely offer him more money if that was the case too.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Dahlen choose to go back to a lower division in Sweden, twice now. His time in NA may have been more out of his hands, but he isn't the only player facing the challenges of trying to make it into the best league in the world. He doesn't seem fond of trying to prove himself in the best league in Sweden either.

Maybe he's homesick and misses the comforts of what he's used to and that's fine. That's the path he has chosen and unfortunately for him, it's likely not the path to the NHL if that was his goal.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Why would his agent choose for him which destination he should play in? Especially if hurts his player's development. Only time an agent may suggest a team/league to play in is maybe for negotiating purposes. Going back to a 2nd division team doesn't seem to go along with any of this. I think I'll rule the agent out on this one.

Teams can make offers to players, but they don't get to force a player to play for them. A trade may put a player in a situation they do not like, but if the player/agent requested out, then that's out of their control. The NHL team can choose for a player to play in the AHL if they feel the player is not suited for the NHL yet. It is on the player to demonstrate and follow the direction of the coaching staff to find the path back to the NHL. At the end of the day, I doubt Timra chose for Dahlen to join them. I'm sure that an SHL team could likely offer him more money if that was the case too.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Dahlen choose to go back to a lower division in Sweden, twice now. His time in NA may have been more out of his hands, but he isn't the only player facing the challenges of trying to make it into the best league in the world. He doesn't seem fond of trying to prove himself in the best league in Sweden either.

Maybe he's homesick and misses the comforts of what he's used to and that's fine. That's the path he has chosen and unfortunately for him, it's likely not the path to the NHL if that was his goal.

Timrå played in SHL last season... 

4 hours ago, KanNuck said:

Johnathan Dahlen - " I have not been able to do things offensively without being afraid of being benched if I make mistakes" 

To me this sounds like a player being asked to play two way hockey and being held accountable like every other player in our system, players who don't complain like Dahlen.

Where do you get your facts? Aside from you I have seen nowhere and nothing to indicate he was being yelled at or screamed at as you claim here in this thread multiple times. 

Please provide sources if your gonna continue to use that as a point to base your argument. 

I have linked two interviews in this thread. None has any yelling/screaming/hairdrying in it. But his lust for hockey is killed and he didn't want to go to practice due to enease. And talk about a couch culture not suitable for some of the young players, not just him. 

Something is wrong but what? 

Communication in one way or another is bad. If it isn't screaming it's something else...  I gladly listen to some of the coaches in Utica when they explain how they work. 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but how do you know if he is until he gets there? 

What I here about a lot of other prospects is that they're young. No need to stress... And Dahlen has only played second tier in Sweden. If he had been tested against tougher competition in SHL I would say yes to test him in AHL(if he isn't ready forNHL). 

Edited by Timråfan

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

To let Dahlen play in Utica if he wasn't ready is wrong

For Dahlen to come over before he was "ready" shows poorly on Dahlen. He could have stayed with Timra or signed with a longer term SHL team and he chose not to.

Dahlen and his advisors messed up.

Like Tryamkin he couldn't cope so  he went home.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posters who tried to temper expectations re Dahlin almost got attacked by fan boys on here a couple of years ago. 

He was playing in 2nd tier on Sweden. Ppl thought he'd come over and be an instant star in the NHL. 

Unrealistic expectations. 

• Upvote 2