The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

On 8/6/2019 at 9:06 AM, Solinar said:

OO, back to the main post, Dahlen always was a gamble.  There is a reason he was included in a trade for an aging winger, much the same as Goldobin.  There were serious questions about ceiling, as well as floor.  Player attitude has to be taken into account, as well as their ability to translate their game to the NHL, with clubs that can even out their shortcomings and emphasise their strengths.  Dahlen needed time to acclimate, and I think he did himself a disservice in his time in the AHL.  He has some great qualities, that if harnessed, could have made him something in the show....but, you can't always gauge for what is going on between the ears.  I think it is telling that SJ hasn't had the success with him that everyone here thought.  This could well end up to be like Shinkaruk, everyone bemoaning us giving up a future nhl star....and once the smoke clears.....Benning was right.

A very passionate @Timråfan will disagree with you.

The entire time this guy has been bashing how the Canucks were handling Dahlen. He just kept making excuses for him. Then he disappears when you talk about why SJ decided to send him down to the AHL.

Which @Timråfan goes to say that Dahlen is a loyal guy because he goes back to Timra.

I'm only making of this poster because he is so blinded by Dahlen that he can't see the reality. I was SO excited the Canucks traded for Dahlen, but now as time goes by, I see why Benning traded him away.

Maybe in time Dahlen will mature and realize how lost a great opportunity with Vancouver.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

A very passionate @Timråfan will disagree with you.

The entire time this guy has been bashing how the Canucks were handling Dahlen. He just kept making excuses for him. Then he disappears when you talk about why SJ decided to send him down to the AHL.

Which @Timråfan goes to say that Dahlen is a loyal guy because he goes back to Timra.

I'm only making of this poster because he is so blinded by Dahlen that he can't see the reality. I was SO excited the Canucks traded for Dahlen, but now as time goes by, I see why Benning traded him away.

Maybe in time Dahlen will mature and realize how lost a great opportunity with Vancouver.

I'll be back B)

• Cheers 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:44 PM, Solinar said:

Hey @oldnews, I can see your take on things, and I realise that sometimes the analytics are...off in the true assessment of the player.  When it comes to matchup/defensive players, sometimes you have to use a little bit of both to truly understand the impact of the player.  In the case of Gudbranson, I believe we had a player that wasn't suited for the role he was asked to perform, and individually, wasn't exactly great in his time playing for the team.  But here is where a lot of defensive analytics have things not quite figured out.  Sometimes, you're looking too much at the individual, and not taking into account role, people he's playing with, and the realism of that player being what he is perceived to be instead of what he is.  Sbisa and Kassian also suffered under that.  Players who were asked to play roles they weren't able to play, because they weren't the type of player that people 'projected' them to be.

I think we'll hear a lot of Myers hate eventually, for many of the same reasons.  People get fixated on the size of a players skates, drool, over height and weight, and god, if he has a mustache....  He's big, he's going to do Superman style things, clear the front of the net, punch out 2 giants with a single blow, intimidate an entire team with his steely gaze and piercing blue eyes....oh wait.   Myers is a guy, who happens to be big, who plays a style of game that isn't really much about any of that.  He'll still be useful, contribute, but if you try make him something he's not....well, prepare to be disappointed.

Hopefully we'll get to the point where people will be better able to see what is there, than what they wish, and help a player be the best they can be, not the best 'power forward', 'defensive stalwart', they wish they had, instead.

I agree that expectation over realism usually leads to unwarranted hate here.  That said, I don't think anyone is expecting Myers to be Shea Weber here.  He's a big, mobile dman who plays a strong two way game.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, Timråfan said:

What bitterness? I read an honest, down to earth interview by him.

He is a player that got caught between an old structure(Utica) and a newer(Timrå).

Dahlen is a player that needs other aspects of hockey besides money.

Please, inform me how the Comets work, coachwise? What is it Dahlen talks about that stop him from being creative?

Boys get a room would ya

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/BRmOpE/jonathan-dahlen-klar-for-timra

The transfer is confirmed, Dahlén will play in Timrå the upcoming season in Hockeyallsvenskan

@Timråfan should be happy..

Dahlen gets to start from scratch.

(meanwhile 200-300 prospects move ahead of him).

Edited by SilentSam

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, he should have stayed in Timrå last season also to mature in a better league than AHL.

you're going to have a hard time finding a better NHL development league than the AHL. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, the numbers speak for KHL and SHL in second place pointwise.

AHL maybe is better for a certain type of players.

AHL is the second best league in the world.  SHL and KHL have a few elite young guys, but lack the depth of competition the A has.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

AHL is the second best league in the world.  SHL and KHL have a few elite young guys, but lack the depth of competition the A has.  

Maybe, it would be fun to see them compete with each other. But I believe only certain types of players prosper in AHL. The rest will have a better development in SHL.

It is too much of a difference coachwise. As I said earlier, we left the coaches from the seventies in the seventies. You won't find a coach in Sweden behave like the one Dahlen spoke of.

13 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Maybe, it would be fun to see them compete with each other. But I believe only certain types of players prosper in AHL. The rest will have a better development in SHL.

It is too much of a difference coachwise. As I said earlier, we left the coaches from the seventies in the seventies. You won't find a coach in Sweden behave like the one Dahlen spoke of.

Dahlen can enjoy himself in Sweden then, because in the AHL and NHL players have to earn their ice time and learn how to play the north american game. The high majority of young players understand this, but unfortunately he does not.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2019 at 4:13 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

A middling prospect for a guy who WANTS to play in tier 2 Sweden. I'd say we win that trade. 

Yeah we won that trade alright, San Jose put the boots to any other conclusion.

I like karlsson, he is also a little younger (I think, didn't look it up) so he has a chance yet to make the show.

Still sad to lose Jonathan Dahlen from the system though.

He is a good player, maybe not tough enough for the NHL, but a good player and a good person.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

So much for you 'returning' to answer about the SJ team debacle, hey?

Two NHL teams, twice demoted to AHL. Now in the 2nd tier Swedish league. Maybe just maybe it has nothing to do with Sweden as a country and more about him being immature?

I just laugh at you recycling the AHL argument.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So much for you 'returning' to answer about the SJ team debacle, hey?

Two NHL teams, twice demoted to AHL. Now in the 2nd tier Swedish league. Maybe just maybe it has nothing to do with Sweden as a country and more about him being immature?

I just laugh at you recycling the AHL argument.

?

Why do you get stuck with Dahlen?

When I critisize coaches and Benning it's from what gives the most value. So, no, it's not specifically about Loui or Dahlen.. M

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Dahlen can enjoy himself in Sweden then, because in the AHL and NHL players have to earn their ice time and learn how to play the north american game. The high majority of young players understand this, but unfortunately he does not.

Think of it more lika a pedagogic process... Screaming coaches is a relic from the past.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Think of it more lika a pedagogic process... Screaming coaches is a relic from the past.

Maybe I missed hearing that the coaches were screaming at him? If this actually happened then that's not cool and very Torts-esque. Source?

I think it's more Dahlen being asked/told to develop his game into the style that the Canucks want - fast and hard-checking - and Dahlen likely not wanting to be that type of player, which is why Benning jumped on trading him when Dahlen asked to be traded. 

I also think this is why Goldie is still around, because he does want to be the type of player the Canucks want, and he's not asking for trades or claiming unfair treatment. (I'm quite excited to see Goldie this year, as a result.)

I should add, lastly, that Dahlen denied asking for a trade whereas his agent confirmed it, so if he claims coaches were screaming at him or treating him unfairly, then I think his word should be taken with a grain of salt, because there's a better chance he's a little mentally weak/immature for the pro NA game.