The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

Is Karlsson mostly play on the wing this year so far? If so, that is unfortunate we really need a young C to be able to make the jump to the NHL. Wish we gave Jasek a shot after all he did in Utica he deserved a late season call up before he went to Europe, maybe he comes back for another chance under a new management and coaching staff

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

Is Karlsson mostly play on the wing this year so far? If so, that is unfortunate we really need a young C to be able to make the jump to the NHL. Wish we gave Jasek a shot after all he did in Utica he deserved a late season call up before he went to Europe, maybe he comes back for another chance under a new management and coaching staff

Sadly, Jasek is tied to vcr until 2025. I think he may get a better opportunity if he were to become a UFA with another team

Edited by Fred65

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

After a hot start, Karlsson is really struggling now. Anyone know if he has a nagging injury not bad enough to keep him out of the lineup?

It’s probably due to the fact he is a rookie and not used to NA hockey. 

Not all development paths are a straight road to reaching your potential. We’re already seeing that with Pod/Hog who have struggled and have yet to secure spots with the constant scratches. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It’s probably due to the fact he is a rookie and not used to NA hockey. 

Not all development paths are a straight road to reaching your potential. We’re already seeing that with Pod/Hog who have struggled and have yet to secure spots with the constant scratches. 

Pod/Hog pretty much explained by having their spots taken by Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. They had a hard time competing against more experienced pros, weren’t really fourth line types, and Miller moving back to the wing took one winger spot, and Boeser coming back from injury took another, and Pearson yet another. They don’t get first line time, they can’t get second line time, can’t get third line time, and the organization prefers energy guys on line 4. They get to play when other guys are hurt - not great for their development - Hoglander can sort of play the energy guy role, but it doesn’t really suit Podkolzin.

Just part of Rutherford making it ‘his’ team, I suppose. Too bad about that 10th overall pick that looked so promising a year ago.

17 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Pod/Hog pretty much explained by having their spots taken by Kuzmenko and Mikheyev. They had a hard time competing against more experienced pros, weren’t really fourth line types, and Miller moving back to the wing took one winger spot, and Boeser coming back from injury took another, and Pearson yet another. They don’t get first line time, they can’t get second line time, can’t get third line time, and the organization prefers energy guys on line 4. They get to play when other guys are hurt - not great for their development - Hoglander can sort of play the energy guy role, but it doesn’t really suit Podkolzin.

Just part of Rutherford making it ‘his’ team, I suppose. Too bad about that 10th overall pick that looked so promising a year ago.

I haven't checked their waiver eligibility status, but why not get Podz and Hogz some game time in Abby?

56 minutes ago, saucypass said:

I haven't checked their waiver eligibility status, but why not get Podz and Hogz some game time in Abby?

Not the worst idea if they’re just going to be in the press box half the time. They are waivers exempt still for now

send them down until you trade some vets for futures and then give them a real opportunity to succeed once they’re confidence gets back up

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Podkolzin's ice time has stayed relatively the same as last year and Podklozin's has played mostly with so far this season in these line combinations.

BO HORVAT - CONOR GARLAND - VASILY PODKOLZIN
ELIAS PETTERSSON - VASILY PODKOLZIN - ANDREI KUZMENKO
ELIAS PETTERSSON - NILS HOGLANDER - VASILY PODKOLZIN 

His production was dipped nevertheless despite playing with some good linemate for the most part.

Hoglander's ice time has dipped from last year from 13:05 to 11:23 and Hoglander's has played mostly in these line combinations.

ELIAS PETTERSSON - NILS HOGLANDER - ANDREI KUZMENKO
J.T. MILLER - BO HORVAT - NILS HOGLANDER

Overall the opportunities they've gotten(which have been relatively good in terms of quality of linemates for the most part) they haven't made the most of.  They haven't warranted the ice-time or staying in the lineup consistently even vs the 4th liners. Sure we have better wingers(some of which they play with), but they struggled when given opportunity, especially considering we started the year without 2 of these better forwards. I won't discount the fact that we have a deeper forward group but they had the opportunities and didn't make the most of them. 

Given the fact we're deeper at forward, getting healthier and the fact that they are waiver exempt, I would probably send them down the AHL for a time. I see a lot more benefit compared to their current situation at this point in time. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:27 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Podkolzin's ice time has stayed relatively the same as last year and Podklozin's has played mostly with so far this season in these line combinations.

BO HORVAT - CONOR GARLAND - VASILY PODKOLZIN
ELIAS PETTERSSON - VASILY PODKOLZIN - ANDREI KUZMENKO

His production was dipped nevertheless despite playing with some good linemate for the most part.

Hoglander's ice time has dipped from last year from 13:05 to 11:23 and Hoglander's has played mostly in these line combinations.

ELIAS PETTERSSON - NILS HOGLANDER - ANDREI KUZMENKO
J.T. MILLER - BO HORVAT - NILS HOGLANDER

Overall the opportunities they've gotten(which have been relatively good in terms of quality of linemates for the most part) they haven't made the most of.  They haven't warranted the ice-time or staying in the lineup consistently even vs the 4th liners. Sure we have better wingers(some of which they play with), but they struggled when given opportunity, especially considering we started the year without 2 of these better forwards. I won't discount the fact that we have a deeper forward group but they had the opportunities and didn't make the most of them. 

Given the fact we're deeper at forward, getting healthier and the fact that they are waiver exempt, I would probably send them down the AHL for a time. I see a lot more benefit compared to their current situation at this point in time. 

Nice research. I stand corrected.

16 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Nice research. I stand corrected.

You're not wrong and neither am I. The circumstances we laid out correlate with each other to depict their current situation. 

They've struggled individually and they've had players outplay them. 

IMO they should be sent down. To help them develop in a more expanded role, build their confidence and until we figure out our forward situation. I don't think that the environment they're in at this point is getting them anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You're not wrong and neither am I. The circumstances we laid out correlate with each other to depict their current situation. 

They've struggled individually and they've had players outplay them. 

IMO they should be sent down. To help them develop in a more expanded role, build their confidence and until we figure out our forward situation. I don't think that the environment they're in at this point is getting them anywhere. 

I agree Podkolzin could use the time to unwind his nervousness and regain his confidence. Hoglander would be a monster in the AHL and that might be good for him, but he does appear to be benefitting from his nhl experience in terms of application to his defensive play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Isn't it time to call up Linus?? I mean, our 3C with Studnicka/Dries has been quite underwhelming... we could use Linus' forechecking and offensive skills with the big club!!

But hes not playing center .. been a winger all season in Abby

25 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If I'm honest I'm over Aman. He hasn't progresssed much and I frankly feel Lazar and Joshua have been carrying him. To be honest I don't believe management is doing evry thing it can 

He's a better fit than Karlsson on the 4th line and is a faster skater than Karlsson. He's a few months younger too.

We shouldn't be trying to develop Karlsson as a 4th line winger. 

There's also guys playing better than Karlsson in the AHL like Pederson and Lockwood.