The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Petey affected by the Dahlén trade?

Nuke

Best friends forever Pettersson and Dahlén will not play hockey together in Vancover Canucks since Dahlén left for Sharks about two weeks ago. 

Has Petey been more affected by this trade than we realize? The last 3-4 games he has looked very unmotivated. He looks like just another guy in the team right now. There is no spark, no amazing passes, shots, plays, no happy smiles... 

Know it sounds a bit silly, to be low about your friend leaving your team, but remember he is just 20 years old and has his first season in nhl, the social life might be more important than we assume. 

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

Did it affect Messier, when Gretzky left Edmonton?

These guys are professionals, and they know hockey is a business.

Im not sure Messier and Petey are the same kind of persons. Was Gretzky best friends with Messier? Was Messier 20 years old and in his rookie season? 

4 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Dahlen asked for a trade its not like Canucks were trading hard to trade him

According to Dahlén he didnt ask. This is what he says in swedish media today.

I've got a little too much undeserved $&!# from some places there (the farm club Utica Comets). I have just said all the time that I want to play here, deserve the playing time in AHL and feel good simply - the agent has passed it on and finally the club was sadly sorry that I did not feel so good and then they chose to get rid with me , says Jonathan Dahlén to Sundsvalls Tidning

No,

What you are seeing now is the toll an NHL season has on a rookie.

Others like Barzal for example could be insulated better in their rookie season having Tavares etc on the team.

In Vancouver Pettersson is one of the main go-to guys. He will be fine, will break the team's rookie points record, may just miss Bure's mark on goals.

But his play is and was to be expected, you wear down a little, teams learn your game and then you try harder which leads you to stray from preparation and play that made you succeed.

As a fan it would have been interesting to see if the two had chemistry but it is more an assumption then fact that most duos with chemistry prior to the NHL rekindle it at the NHL level.

Dahlén also says:

For the site, he also develops the situation in Utica Comets in the state of New York.

- There are fantastic teammates and captains in the team, the guys are wonderful but that is the way they try to develop young players - it has had the opposite effect on me and it feels like I have been trampled rather than lifted. Instead of becoming a better hockey player, it has gone in the opposite direction, I have not been able to do anything offensive but to be afraid of being sidelined if I make a mistake, he says.

With 15 goals and 14 assists in 50 matches, Jonathan Dahlén was the best rookie in Utica Comets and the club is on the top half of the north division.

Now Jonathan Dahlén plays in the Shark's pharmacy club San José Barracuda in AHL.

He has been assigned sweater number 22, the same as dad Ulf Dahlén in the organization.

In three games it has become three assists - San José Barracuda is second in the pacific division.

58 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Im not sure Messier and Petey are the same kind of persons. Was Gretzky best friends with Messier? Was Messier 20 years old and in his rookie season? 

Yes they were best buddies who had won 5 cups together and probably could have won 3-5 more had they kept the team together.

Not every 20 yr old is a snowflake bro

6 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Yes they were best buddies who had won 5 cups together and probably could have won 3-5 more had they kept the team together.

Not every 20 yr old is a snowflake bro

Well its obvious something has happened to Petey last 3-4 games and we all know how dependent this team is of him already. I dont believe the talk about that he is tired or that the league got their eyes on him now. 

I think hes been really excited about having his best friend on the team one day and got really sad when he got traded. I think it might been an energy drainer on him. Maybe he will comment on it further on and well get his view on it. 

13 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Well its obvious something has happened to Petey last 3-4 games and we all know how dependent this team is of him already. I dont believe the talk about that he is tired or that the league got their eyes on him now. 

I think hes been really excited about having his best friend on the team one day and got really sad when he got traded. I think it might been an energy drainer on him. Maybe he will comment on it further on and well get his view on it. 

I don’t think he’s sad. 

Archived