The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Petey affected by the Dahlén trade?

Nuke

If this was enough to sideline Peterson’s production, then trade him quickly because being a professional hockey player isn’t going to work out for him.

Having said that, Utica seems to have some problems.  They haven’t really developed anyone, and lots of young players seem to be taking steps backwards.  The young players with the most success have largely bypassed being there.

They have gotten good young players who far exceeded their draft positions in their draft plus one year in juniors.  One could have expected a couple of those guys at least to continue to impress.

Veterans get a lot of leash and young guys have to prove themselves every game or get benched.  It is the philosophy of the big club and goes down to the farm apparently.

Hutton deserved flack and benchings last year... but so did Gudbranson.  Goldobin deserved benchings... but so does Eriksson.  Veterans should get a little longer leash, but there is no way Ericsson hasn’t deserved to be in the press box a couple of times to at least send a message to him and the rest of the team that the effort rules apply to everyone and not just the whipping boy of the day the coach chooses.

We likely have another year of this management team, fair or not... if they don’t make the playoffs next year there will be firings.  6 years at the helm needs to show improvement in the standings and not just a better prospect pool.  As someone in the Canucks brass famously said, this isn’t a “try league” or development league... it is a “show me” league.

The team is exhausted. Marky is the only one who seems to show up any more.

This was expected to happen. It took a little longer then expected, but here we are. There's still reason for hope for the future.

Just now, Provost said:

If this was enough to sideline Peterson’s production, then trade him quickly because being a professional hockey player isn’t going to work out for him.

Having said that, Utica seems to have some problems.  They haven’t really developed anyone, and lots of young players seem to be taking steps backwards.  The young players with the most success have largely bypassed being there.

They have gotten good young players who far exceeded their draft positions in their draft plus one year in juniors.  One could have expected a couple of those guys at least to continue to impress.

Veterans get a lot of leash and young guys have to prove themselves every game or get benched.  It is the philosophy of the big club and goes down to the farm apparently.

Hutton deserved flack and benchings last year... but so did Gudbranson.  Goldobin deserved benchings... but so does Eriksson.  Veterans should get a little longer leash, but there is no way Ericsson hasn’t deserved to be in the press box a couple of times to at least send a message to him and the rest of the team that the effort rules apply to everyone and not just the whipping boy of the day the coach chooses.

We likely have another year of this management team, fair or not... if they don’t make the playoffs next year there will be firings.  6 years at the helm needs to show improvement in the standings and not just a better prospect pool.  As someone in the Canucks brass famously said, this isn’t a “try league” or development league... it is a “show me” league.

Our top young prospects, who are elite skilled guys, in Utica (and here too) need the freedom to be creative.  I don't get why we beat the creativity out of our guys!   

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

You need find a new hobby that doesn't involve creating threads....

Do you have any suggestions? I have ASD, lame from neck down, in a wheel chair and writing on the keyboard with my mouth, and yeah, I love the Canucks. Cheers man! 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Is Petey a shrinking violet?  

Duh.

Have you seen his ice glare?

Spam thread.

Sounds like Dahlen has some mental toughness to grow into.

"I'm afraid to make a mistake..."     Poor me.  My development is being stalled by tough love....

Not ready for the NHL, obviously.

There seems to be a level of entitlement how he believes he should be treated. 

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

There seems to be a level of entitlement how he believes he should be treated. 

Agreed, will be interesting to see how it all pans out i.e. will he be skilled enough to play in the NHL. Benning and Co have a good record of evaluating players in their system so they get the benefit of the doubt but makes me nervous when it is San Jose taking the chance...that team is pretty good at evaluating talent.

10 hours ago, Nuke said:

According to Dahlén he didnt ask. This is what he says in swedish media today.

I've got a little too much undeserved $&!# from some places there (the farm club Utica Comets). I have just said all the time that I want to play here, deserve the playing time in AHL and feel good simply - the agent has passed it on and finally the club was sadly sorry that I did not feel so good and then they chose to get rid with me , says Jonathan Dahlén to Sundsvalls Tidning

Why would Benning tell the media that Dahlen's agent asked for a trade then? Benning is known to be extremely candid. I'm flat out going to say I don't actually believe Dahlen. 

8 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

His best friend is here in Vancouver.

nikolay goldobin.  Also When did they say they were best friends?

"Also When did they say they were best friends?"     Good question

Follow up question:

When did Pete say his best friend is Goldobin?  

Petey has hit the rookie wall. Nothing more, nothing less. Injuries have players playing minutes outside their comfort zone. Stecher and Hutton aren't a top 2 pairing although they have had some impressive games. In addition, more experienced teams are ramping up for playoffs, the intensity is picking up and our guys don't have that extra gear. Whether that is the result of injuries or lack of experience.

I think the question isn't if it affected him in a personal way, but a respect for the direction of the team, the development coaching in Utica, which reflects the intelligence of the big club.

It is probably a combination of a few things. All piled on. But one small part could very well be that he and Dahlen have been texting since they both got to NA, and were looking forward to playing together on the big club eventually. And now hearing Dahlen b*tch about how he was treated and lack of development in the Canucks organization.  At that age you tend to agree more with your friends.

The greater upset for him in the Dahlen trade away may more have been a disappointment with the Canucks organization than pining for his buddy.  And that disappointment could also be applied to when he scans over the rest of the rag tag Canucks team he is saddled playing with.  Maybe he had higher hopes for his first professional NHL team, and management.

Add to that, the wear and tear of an 82 game schedule.

Add to that the dawning disappointment that he will not be a part of the 2019 SCP,  no matter how much he scores.

What I don't want to add to that, I hope its not true, is that he is looking around at all the floaters on this team who are so-called NHL veterans, and just like JB wanted when he signed so many of them, they are mentoring him and guiding him about how to "pace yourself" through a contract.

10 hours ago, Nuke said:

Best friends forever Pettersson and Dahlén will not play hockey together in Vancover Canucks since Dahlén left for Sharks about two weeks ago. 

Has Petey been more affected by this trade than we realize? The last 3-4 games he has looked very unmotivated. He looks like just another guy in the team right now. There is no spark, no amazing passes, shots, plays, no happy smiles... 

Know it sounds a bit silly, to be low about your friend leaving your team, but remember he is just 20 years old and has his first season in nhl, the social life might be more important than we assume. 

Wow, so many poster that have no idea of the culture shock or how a lack of contemporaries affect young players mentality. So disconnected it is obvious that some posters are just video game or fantasy league players.

These posters look upon Sutter's need for surgery again like it is changing a tire, surgeries are serious things.

Tryamkin is shredded by CDC as being homesick and the suggestion EP may be affected similarly is met with ridicule, so many two faced trolls make themselves known.

Dahlen complaining Vancouver fans sending him hateful messages so he had to delete his social media.... wonder if he’d even make it through high school here.

- I have not done many interviews, I find it difficult to get messages from Vancouver fans. They have written very hateful messages and it ended with me removing both Twitter and Instagram.

What a whiny little $&!#. 99% of people would kill to be in his position. He’ll never make the NHL. Way too soft.

I doubt it. It is part of the business. Your friends get traded all the time. 

From what I read from Dahlen’s comments above contradicts what he said right after the trade. Unfortunately, I misjudged this kid. He is coming across like a entitled, spoiled brat.  You earn your shot; it’s not gift wrapped to you! Gaudette, MacEwen, Sautner and Demko have all said positive things about their development in Utica. Not saying it’s perfect but I don’t buy what he’s saying. 

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Wow, so many poster that have no idea of the culture shock or how a lack of contemporaries affect young players mentality. So disconnected it is obvious that some posters are just video game or fantasy league players.

These posters look upon Sutter's need for surgery again like it is changing a tire, surgeries are serious things.

Tryamkin is shredded by CDC as being homesick and the suggestion EP may be affected similarly is met with ridicule, so many two faced trolls make themselves known.

Maybe these "two faced trolls" are just young and ignorant?  Of course EP is home sick.  

2 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Dahlen complaining Vancouver fans sending him hateful messages so he had to delete his social media.... wonder if he’d even make it through high school here.

- I have not done many interviews, I find it difficult to get messages from Vancouver fans. They have written very hateful messages and it ended with me removing both Twitter and Instagram.

What a whiny little $&!#. 99% of people would kill to be in his position. He’ll never make the NHL. Way too soft.

He will thrive in San Jose, or a different southern US market; they have no fans.  

Dahlin might be right, I think Cull is a conservative “play hard” coach. His style is more on the finesse side and offensive players usually can’t defend well, which is normal, but doesn’t bode well with the system. 

Dahlin is a skill guy but the Canucks don’t like those skill guys, they are more into the likes sutter, gudbranson, schallers, erikssons and the Beagles. Any idea why their previous teams gave up on them? 

That’s why we will never win the cup, stop bringing in hard working players with middle of the pack ceilings and just play the offensively and defensively talented players already. Dahlen was one but we gave him away for free. Nice job 

Archived