The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Teves | D

GoldenAlien

2 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Regardless of how he turns out, always nice to see a guy's dream come true.  Canucks will likely have a full practice before the road trip, I think we'll see Teves debut during the back-to-back.

Hopefully add to the hockey IQ as well ;) 

14 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

is this "kid" going to get in the line up soon? I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do, put him in before Hughes is cleared to play later next week

Teves plays #4. Didn't the great Barry Wilkens play sweatern #4? Love to see Joulevi in #7. Heck I don't care the number I just want him in a Canuck jersey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I hope the coach puts Teves in the lineup for the Ottawa game but have not heard or seen anything on him in a few days now. If anyone has an update on him please post it.

Well he's had exams and needs some practice time. Plus Brisebois and Sautner both deserve longer looks as well.

My guess is once Hughes or Hutton get better we will see Brisebois sent down and Teves getting in for a game.

You also never know though. He might have a slight injury as well that needs some rest.

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Well he's had exams and needs some practice time. Plus Brisebois and Sautner both deserve longer looks as well.

My guess is once Hughes or Hutton get better we will see Brisebois sent down and Teves getting in for a game.

You also never know though. He might have a slight injury as well that needs some rest.

There is no roster limit now, so don't need to send anyone down.

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

There is no roster limit now, so don't need to send anyone down.

No but they'll want to get Brisebois down there fighting for the playoffs. Sautner too once everyone up here is healthy.

Edler (mainstay)

Hutton (mainstay)

Hughes (up for the year)

Teves (up for the year)

Sautner (Utica eligible)

Brisebois (Utica eligible)

Pouliot (up for the year)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

No but they'll want to get Brisebois down there fighting for the playoffs. Sautner too once everyone up here is healthy.

Edler (mainstay)

Hutton (mainstay)

Hughes (up for the year)

Teves (up for the year)

Sautner (Utica eligible)

Brisebois (Utica eligible)

Pouliot (up for the year)

Sautner would need to clear waivers as he has played more than 10 games.

From Princeton hockey head coach Ron Fogarty: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-josh-teves/c-305804540

"He goes into every shift working as hard as he can and doesn't take a shift off. We were always afraid he'd get injured because he competed so hard every shift. He just has an incredible drive to be the best every time he steps on the ice. There's no days and no shifts off for Josh," he explained.

"Over these four years, he's gotten stronger, has better endurance and his defending is very good. His playmaking ability and his first pass is excellent. He puts it on the tape every time whether it's five feet or 30 feet away. He can now accelerate fast enough to catch up to a rush or even lead the rush. He plays a real hard-nosed style and his improved strength makes him better prepared now to win those one-on-one battles too. His attitude is also one of his best assets," Fogarty continued. "He wants to be the best defenseman out there and he works hard every day towards achieving that goal. I have no doubt he's going to do real well at the next level."

Teves' junior story:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-mechanical-whiz-teves-believes-he-has-tools-for-making-canucks-too

He went to an academics-focused high school in Calgary, and was playing triple-A Midget in Calgary when he was 18. He then moved on to junior B hockey in Fernie the following season. By the end of that season, he was playing junior A in the BCHL as Dale Hladun, his Fernie coach, pitched him to the Merritt Centennials’ coaching staff as a player to watch.

His new BCHL coaches were so impressed by his raw talent, they dressed him for playoff games — even though he’d never really practised with the team.

“I had a pretty late growth spurt that definitely played into it. I think as a smaller D-man I got passed over growing up,” he said Friday after his first morning skate with the Canucks. (He’s now a solid six feet tall.)

“Definitely not the most routine path. That helped build my work ethic and determination: it doesn’t matter if I’m cut from a team or looked over or undervalued or anything like that. I can prove my worth in any situation.”

Martin also chuckled when asked to describe what Teves looked like when he first arrived in Merritt.

“He looked like a young deer,” he recalled. “His skating was a bit scrambly, his puck control was all over the place, but he had an ability to out-compete players and always be around the puck and make things happen even if it’s not always smooth.

“He kept carving his way until the game really started to change at the NHL level in terms of what kind of player they wanted.

“There’s more and more players who just need more time in good spots, in places where they can just hunker down and learn to play; they’re not so worried about the end game of winning a championship or making the next level, they just want to get better.”

Edited by GoldenAlien

On 3/20/2019 at 5:25 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Yes but very little chance he gets claimed as no other team can use him this year in that case

Actually any team could still claim him, but he just would not be eligible to play playoff games or to be send to the AHL, but would be eligible to play the remaining regular season.  

If a team really was decimated or was interested in Sautner he could still get claimed

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

18 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

So Pouliot gets back into the lineup tonight while Teves continues to watch from the press box. Yet Benning was unable to talk him into an ATO with the Comets and a one year ELC starting in 2019-20.

Teves is probably still getting up to speed with both the systems and the pace of the game.

Benning was not likely the only GM interested in signing him and sometimes you have to make a slightly better offer than other GM's to entice a player to sign.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Teves is probably still getting up to speed with both the systems and the pace of the game.

Benning was not likely the only GM interested in signing him and sometimes you have to make a slightly better offer than other GM's to entice a player to sign.

Duszak was valued higher and he agreed to an ATO with the Marlies and a two year ELC with the Leafs starting next year. Seems odd that Teves didn't get the same thing except a one year ELC for next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

I don't buy having Pouliot in and not Teves. how the heck are you going to see what you have in Teves , we already know what Pouliot brings:sick:

I understand your wanting to see Teves play, I do as well, 

but not sure throwing him in before he is ready is a very good idea