The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

I would love to get Edmonton’s 8th. I just don’t know how we can accomplish this without taking on lucic. If there’s a buyout. Great. If not we might screw ourselves if we also have eriksson as well. If we can trade eriksson then I’m all for going after lucic. I don’t think however, Edmonton ,would give up the draft pick simply for taking on lucic contract. I would imagine something like Hutton and leivo might get it done. 

Hutton and leivo 

for 

lucic and the 8th

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, Nucks-4-Life said:

#10 - #20 pretty much have the same chances at making it. Hopefully Benning trades down and gets an impact player in return.

I beg to differ.I think maybe #13-20 have the same odds, but 10-13 can yield the same better odds as 4-13. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I beg to differ.I think maybe #13-20 have the same odds, but 10-13 can yield the same better odds as 4-13. 

Totally agree with you.  I would really rather JB didn't trade down from 10, unless it's only a couple spots.  Going from 10 down to 20 is big difference.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

Still small. Size still matters come playoff time. 

I'm not disagreeing, entirely.  For me, I think it's more guts than size though and I see caufield going to some pretty dirty areas to score, with no hesitation whatsoever.  He's got far more drive than JG.  Still, the size is a concern, but that's why he's looking at being picked at #10-15, rather than top 5.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joscanucks said:

I would love to get Edmonton’s 8th. I just don’t know how we can accomplish this without taking on lucic. If there’s a buyout. Great. If not we might screw ourselves if we also have eriksson as well. If we can trade eriksson then I’m all for going after lucic. I don’t think however, Edmonton ,would give up the draft pick simply for taking on lucic contract. I would imagine something like Hutton and leivo might get it done. 

Hutton and leivo 

for 

lucic and the 8th

This is far more plausible. I'd do it though for sure in a heartbeat. Edmonton might be desperate enough to make this trade too to keep McDavid happy. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm not disagreeing, entirely.  For me, I think it's more guts than size though and I see caufield going to some pretty dirty areas to score, with no hesitation whatsoever.  He's got far more drive than JG.  Still, the size is a concern, but that's why he's looking at being picked at #10-15, rather than top 5.

Man oh man I'd still be pumped to get Caufield though. Basically a Brock Boeser with more of a drive to get to the dirty areas. I honestly don't see him getting to pick 10 though. Somebody's going to gamble on him. My guess would be at #8. 

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Man oh man I'd still be pumped to get Caufield though. Basically a Brock Boeser with more of a drive to get to the dirty areas. I honestly don't see him getting to pick 10 though. Somebody's going to gamble on him. My guess would be at #8. 

I think you could be right, then that means that Boldy might drop to #10.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think you could be right, then that means that Boldy might drop to #10.

I actually think either Zegras or Boldy is gonna drop to #12 if we don't take one of them. Somebody from that team is going to drop significantly. I can't see Turcotte dropping there though. 

17 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I actually think he may be available and dangerous for us to pick.

We have been seeing in the playoff that size still matters.  That may scare teams off Caufield and have him drop farther than his goal totals would suggest.

For us, we will have several players in that tier to pick from that are really close to each other.  We have enough young pieces that completing our existing core should become the tiebreaker.  

For us that means a D, or a skilled winger with size.  There should be a couple of those options available to us when we draft without reaching down to find one.

Load up on D after the first round.  You can always trade off excess young D for good value if more turned out than expected.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't do Virt for Nylander straight up, let alone adding Hutton

If it wasn’t for the cap but I’d do this deal.  This actually has some merit, TO is entering cap hell soon, and we should see if we could take advantage of it.  Maybe Virtanen for Nylander and 1 million retained for Nylander.  I’d do that deal.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

If it wasn’t for the cap but I’d do this deal.  This actually has some merit, TO is entering cap hell soon, and we should see if we could take advantage of it.  Maybe Virtanen for Nylander and 1 million retained for Nylander.  I’d do that deal.

I am wondering if a deal to get Nylander will need to include taking a cap dump, like Marleau?

• Cheers 1

There is something about Caufield that is so darn intriguing.  Canucks need scoring badly. Caufield is the best scorer in this Draft. Duh, seems like a no-brainer. Just having him as this secret weapon gets me excited about future Canucks hockey. Imagine Pettersson's elite passing and Caufield's finishing.  I think players like Cozens, Zegras, Newhook and Boldy will be pretty good players in their own right, but none of them make me jump out of my seat and say "holy smokes" like Caufield does. y'know?

Go for Krebs, and if he's gone, take Caufield. If he's also gone, go with the D.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joscanucks said:

Hutton and leivo 

for 

lucic and the 8th

i think Hutton would be attractive to them, but they'd want something more significant than Leivo.........but it might not be far off.

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

i think Hutton would be attractive to them, but they'd want something more significant than Leivo.........but it might not be far off.

Rather than Lucic, I'd be open to taking on Russell as a cap dump as a part of a deal. We can afford 2 years of a $4m 3rd pair D and they can likely replace him with one of their ELC prospects or a far cheaper UFA, saving them roughly $3m.

That alone doesn't get you 8th OA but I'd certainly consider other pieces/later picks.

Hutton + taking Russel back probably gets us closer but I think I'd rather try to package Hutton + for a younger 2nd pair RD. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

There is something about Caufield that is so darn intriguing.  Canucks need scoring badly. Caufield is the best scorer in this Draft. Duh, seems like a no-brainer. Just having him as this secret weapon gets me excited about future Canucks hockey. Imagine Pettersson's elite passing and Caufield's finishing.  I think players like Cozens, Zegras, Newhook and Boldy will be pretty good players in their own right, but none of them make me jump out of my seat and say "holy smokes" like Caufield does. y'know?

Go for Krebs, and if he's gone, take Caufield. If he's also gone, go with the D.

I think you are discounting Hughes impact.....he had huge zone exit  stats for a small sample size....+ 3 for 5 games.....prorated to + 50ish over a season.....I think the offense will come. I would stay away from Caulfield....either Krebs, Boldy or Soderstrom.......but we will see....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I am wondering if a deal to get Nylander will need to include taking a cap dump, like Marleau?

Maybe.  I’d still do it if they retained on Nylander.  JV and Goldobin for Nylander and Marleau and 1 million retained would be fine.  That’s really what he should be getting, Dubas paid him too much and now he’s got to work things out with Marner, arguably their best player and I bet they are lowballing him at 8 x 8 or something like that.  Marner is nuclear right now, depending on what he signs for will determine the amount of cap hell they will be in and also determine the comparables in the future for the entire league (as did Mathews, Eichel etc.).   Will these guys (including Laine) be worth it?  That’s debatable , I’d say yes as you need core players like them.  Can’t say I’m happy that they seem to be getting third contract money off the hop....but under the cap and salary disclosure this was inevitable.  

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you are discounting Hughes impact.....he had huge zone exit  stats for a small sample size....+ 3 for 5 games.....prorated to + 50ish over a season.....I think the offense will come. I would stay away from Caulfield....either Krebs, Boldy or Soderstrom.......but we will see....

He’s a high risk high reward player.  It wasn’t all Hughes, his stats wouldn’t look nearly as good without an elite trigger man like Caufield.  Time will tell but whomever takes him is rolling the dice for sure 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree @janisahockeynut.  But it's fun to dream up scenarios, even knowing they have zero probability of happening.  I've dreamed of many scenarios that will befall my mother-in-law too. :lol: It's fun to dream!!! 

Eventually one of those things will happen, maybe both if your lucky.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1