The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

I think you guys are overplaying how big of a gamble Caufield is. He's an elite shooter. He has the IQ to fade out away from plays and get to hidden spots on the ice. At best, he turns into a 40-50 goal scorer. At worst, he turns into a Vanek type player. He's still gonna crack the team, it's just a matter of if he reaches his potential. You guys make it seem like he can't make a play or he doesn't have the IQ and he just has a good shot. You don't become the best goal scorer in league history by having mediocre IQ. 

And don't forget, we need goal scorers. If he falls to us, there's no way we shouldn't take the risk on him. He should turn out to be fairly close to Boeser in terms of production. He doesn't have Boeser's shot from a stand still, but he absolutely blows him away with his release on one-timers. The kid has unbelievable finishing, and you put that with a guy like Pettersson, the kid will produce automatically. We have the playmaker for this kid. If we didn't have Pettersson, you'd have a point. The only issue is that it might move Boeser around. 

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Chances are slim, but you have to remember Edmonton has wanted this team fast tracked to success, and McDavid is super frustrated with his current team. By dumping a Lucic contract they have cap space suddenly to replace 1-3 players on the team. They need defense, so Hutton gets them a bit of that and a team could always use a versatile player like Leivo. I personally wouldn't do the deal either, but it's not as much of a stretch as you think. As somebody from Edmonton, the fans are crying to do anything to get Lucic traded so they can have some wiggle room for improvement. But yeah, certainly wouldn't happen, but it'd get considered. 

Not even a slim chance man. Holland throws up in his mouth and hangs up the phn when he hears Hutton and Leivo for the 8th and Lucic. They could do alot better.

A proposal they might consider is...

Stecher

Leivo

2019 2nd pick

For

8th overall

Lucic( no salary retained )

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Not even a slim chance man. Holland throws up in his mouth and hangs up the phn when he hears Hutton and Leivo for the 8th and Lucic. They could do alot better.

A proposal they might consider is...

Stecher

Leivo

2019 2nd pick

For

8th overall

Lucic( no salary retained )

I think the Oilers would rather take no contracts back, and give up Lucic with a young prospect, and keep their 8 OA.   I could see Lucic and Pool Party going as a package for a 4th round pick or something like that.  Any team taking Lucic would have to have him waive his NMC, so he would be eligible for the Seattle expansion. 

Lucic, has extremely negative value - even worse than Loui here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I think you guys are overplaying how big of a gamble Caufield is. He's an elite shooter. He has the IQ to fade out away from plays and get to hidden spots on the ice. At best, he turns into a 40-50 goal scorer. At worst, he turns into a Vanek type player. He's still gonna crack the team, it's just a matter of if he reaches his potential. You guys make it seem like he can't make a play or he doesn't have the IQ and he just has a good shot. You don't become the best goal scorer in league history by having mediocre IQ. 

And don't forget, we need goal scorers. If he falls to us, there's no way we shouldn't take the risk on him. He should turn out to be fairly close to Boeser in terms of production. He doesn't have Boeser's shot from a stand still, but he absolutely blows him away with his release on one-timers. The kid has unbelievable finishing, and you put that with a guy like Pettersson, the kid will produce automatically. We have the playmaker for this kid. If we didn't have Pettersson, you'd have a point. The only issue is that it might move Boeser around. 

I don’t think he’s that much of a gamble, in fact he could be the best player in the draft, little guys that can do this have both character and skill in spades because they’ve always had to do that much more to get noticed.   I posted earlier that Hughes has benefited just as much as Caufield has....and you know he can take a difficult play and score on it from pretty much anywhere including one timers (which he’s awesome at).   I don’t like small players as a rule, size does matter, but this guy has Theo Fluery or St. Louis written all over him.  Wouldn’t be disappointed if we took him (assuming he’s available) as that would mean Benning believes in him too.

• Upvote 1

Let's talk about risk.

Caufield, for example, is ranked in the Top 10. Probably the best goal scorer in this Draft. But yet he's seen as risky, because of his size? But does it really matter how big or small he is if he's potting 60 goals a year? Same with Podkolzin. Risky because he's Russian? How 'bout Seider? Risky because he plays in Germany?

I think there are risks with almost every player. Will Hughes dominate the NHL as a top line C, even though he lacks size? Will Boldy be too slow to keep up with the speed of the top 6? Will Zegras get his head taken off for being a s-disturber? Does Broberg have a high enough hockey IQ?

But, of course, any of these players could turn out to be great players. If I had to choose one or two players who don't concern me, where I feel there is very little to no risk, that would be Krebs or Turcotte. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think the Oilers would rather take no contracts back, and give up Lucic with a young prospect, and keep their 8 OA.   I could see Lucic and Pool Party going as a package for a 4th round pick or something like that.  Any team taking Lucic would have to have him waive his NMC, so he would be eligible for the Seattle expansion. 

Lucic, has extremely negative value - even worse than Loui here. 

Plus Alf there is absolutely no way Vancouver makes a trade the could help EDM.   We just won’t do it.   Historically I’d say Steve Staios is the high water mark with any trade we’ve ever made with them...maybe I’m wrong but I really don’t recall any trade with EDM that was significant.  Because we don’t trade with either Alberta team.  Kesler was the biggest move we’ve ever done with a team in our division and it wasn’t exactly a blockbuster becuase he forced the issue and had a tiny list of teams he’d go to.   Lucic can go pound sand, he isn’t coming here and unless he puts a lot of effort into it he getting bought out as soon as the next CBA is done.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's talk about risk.

Caufield, for example, is ranked in the Top 10. Probably the best goal scorer in this Draft. But yet he's seen as risky, because of his size? But does it really matter how big or small he is if he's potting 60 goals a year? Same with Podkolzin. Risky because he's Russian? How 'bout Seider? Risky because he plays in Germany?

I think there are risks with almost every player. Will Hughes dominate the NHL as a top line C, even though he lacks size? Will Boldy be too slow to keep up with the speed of the top 6? Will Zegras get his head taken off for being a s-disturber? Does Broberg have a high enough hockey IQ?

But, of course, any of these players could turn out to be great players. If I had to choose one or two players who don't concern me, where I feel there is very little to no risk, that would be Krebs or Turcotte. 

Smart picks based on the scouting reports.  I just hope Benning has sent his guys enough to get the eye test and isn’t relying on the reports.  Broberg had a great start and since has nosedived which is concerning.  Soderstrom plays the right side, is in a higher level of competition and is the consensus second best defenseman in the draft.  That said it’s doubtful he will be the BPA at ten so why bother.   Your guys could be gone before we pick...but that would mean someone else slipped hopefully and we can nab them.  Last year EDM didn’t expect Bouchard to still be on the table and didn’t have a sweater ready for him.  I’m hoping the same thing happens to us and it’s Byram but that’s probably a fairy tales.   There is a lot of centers available and every team can’t get enough of those (as guys can be moved to the wing without diffuculty but the other way around can be a big problem, another testament to EP) maybe that’s what teams infront of us do.   Think Boldy is a very safe pick.   We need wingers and don’t see the need to take a risk this year and hope that we just go for what our guys think is the BPA.   Also think that if a team behind us is desperate to move up we should consider it (to add a second or third).  There will still be good players available up until the middle of the first round and undoubtedly in five years a re-draft will look at lot different.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2019 at 2:39 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol people here severely undervalue draft picks and over value hack Canuck players and benning projects.

I’d say that we OVERVALUE draft picks and overvalue our prospects.  As a fun exercise go through all the drafts until the fifth or sixth round and see a whole lot of players that never played or never made it.  Even the first round is littered with bad players or guys that never make it.  By the time you get to the fourth round it’s an interesting exercise.   How many second rounders have we drafted that even had a career in the bottom six?  And how many third rounders?  Hint it’s not that many.  Draft picks are lottery tickets.  Of course their at HHOFers all the way up until the later rounds, but past the third round they are extremely rare.   Sure you can’t win if you don’t play (the same as the actual lotto) and some teams have managed to mine gems in the later rounds.  Who’s our best player all-time for each round?  

Edit:  Stajonov and Antoski back to back first round picks.  Ugh Quin what were you thinking...that said Naslund trade is one of the top five fleecings all-time, he had more first line all-stars than any player we’ve ever had and Stajanov didn’t score as many goals as he did appearances...

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

I’d say that we OVERVALUE draft picks and overvalue our prospects.  As a fun exercise go through all the drafts until the fifth or sixth round and see a whole lot of players that never played or never made it.  Even the first round is littered with bad players or guys that never make it.  By the time you get to the fourth round it’s an interesting exercise.   How many second rounders have we drafted that even had a career in the bottom six?  And how many third rounders?  Hint it’s not that many.  Draft picks are lottery tickets.  Of course their at HHOFers all the way up until the later rounds, but past the third round they are extremely rare.   Sure you can’t win if you don’t play (the same as the actual lotto) and some teams have managed to mine gems in the later rounds.  Who’s our best player all-time for each round?  

Edit:  Stajonov and Antoski back to back first round picks.  Ugh Quin what were you thinking...that said Naslund trade is one of the top five fleecings all-time, he had more first line all-stars than any player we’ve ever had and Stajanov didn’t score as many goals as he did appearances...

No.

People are severely undervaluing Edmonton’s 8th overall pick lol. I wouldn’t trade our 10th overall because chances are we are going to get a really good player. Yes, there is a chance the 10th busts ala JV and maybe juolevi but it’s so hard to find good people these days that if you have a chance, you take it.

Its not hard hard to get worker bees from every other method. Don’t make drafting one of these worker bee avenues, it’s a waste.  Use drafting as the gambling avenue. It’s only logical. 

And the 8th fracking overall would get a lot more than Hutton and leivo lol. Who the F in their right mind would trade lucic and one of byram/boldy/turcotte/etc for fracking Hutton and leivo?! Lol

Edited by Tomatoes11

On 5/9/2019 at 12:20 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe if Juolevi gets acclimated.

And Tryamkin comes back?

In the meantime, you need to go 10 deep on D. We cannot just trade guys because we have a crew of 6. I suppose we can? Its about return...

But as a whole we cannot just trade our depth. Then leave a skeleton crew as soon as someone gets injured.

If the Gillis era taught us anything it is exactly that.

You can never have enough depth.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

No.

People are severely undervaluing Edmonton’s 8th overall pick lol. I wouldn’t trade our 10th overall because chances are we are going to get a really good player. Yes, there is a chance the 10th busts ala JV and maybe juolevi but it’s so hard to find good people these days that if you have a chance, you take it.

Its not hard hard to get worker bees from every other method. Don’t make drafting one of these worker bee avenues, it’s a waste.  Use drafting as the gambling avenue. It’s only logical. 

And the 8th fracking overall would get a lot more than Hutton and leivo lol. Who the F in their right mind would trade lucic and one of byram/boldy/turcotte/etc for fracking Hutton and leivo?! Lol

Not sure what your saying.  Are you saying we should trade up to 8th?  Or trade to get their pick?   That would cost us one of Boeser, Horvat or Hughes so what’s the point (if your suggesting others think Hutton and Leivo is what it would cost to move up than no thanks, and it your suggusting Hutton and Lenovo would get us the 8th than I want some of what ever those posters are smoking).   I agree that we hope to get an impact core player with those types of picks....maybe we roll the dice on Caufield (if he’s still there) maybe we go safe and pick Boldy or Turcotte, and maybe they are first line players or maybe they never play in the NHL.  All teams miss at times and all teams hit home runs at times.  Benning is NOT the best drafter in the league but his is pretty good.  I’m pretty confident we get another core player this draft.   We’ve been spoiled a bit as of late with two Calder candidates it a row...will Hughes make it three ( if so we’ve got lighting in the bottle right now as far as a time in the not too distant future when everything just clicks and we explode, much the way COL and CAR have done this season).    We can’t get a guy if we don’t play.   EDMs 8th pick would cost us a core player no point in that.   

When Hamilton was traded to CAL for a couple firsts it made me laugh.  Why trade a core player like that just to hope you well draft a Hamilton.  Dumb move.  

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure what your saying.  Are you saying we should trade up to 8th?  Or trade to get their pick?   That would cost us one of Boeser, Horvat or Hughes so what’s the point (if your suggesting others think Hutton and Leivo is what it would cost to move up than no thanks, and it your suggusting Hutton and Lenovo would get us the 8th than I want some of what ever those posters are smoking).   I agree that we hope to get an impact core player with those types of picks....maybe we roll the dice on Caufield (if he’s still there) maybe we go safe and pick Boldy or Turcotte, and maybe they are first line players or maybe they never play in the NHL.  All teams miss at times and all teams hit home runs at times.  Benning is NOT the best drafter in the league but his is pretty good.  I’m pretty confident we get another core player this draft.   We’ve been spoiled a bit as of late with two Calder candidates it a row...will Hughes make it three ( if so we’ve got lighting in the bottle right now as far as a time in the not too distant future when everything just clicks and we explode, much the way COL and CAR have done this season).    We can’t get a guy if we don’t play.   EDMs 8th pick would cost us a core player no point in that.   

When Hamilton was traded to CAL for a couple firsts it made me laugh.  Why trade a core player like that just to hope you well draft a Hamilton.  Dumb move.  

Eh?! It’s pretty clear.

But I can break it down point by point if you want but it’s pretty clear. Lol

10 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

If the Gillis era taught us anything it is exactly that.

You can never have enough depth.

Just don’t sign them to NTC’s and then you really have learned something from that era.

• Cheers 1

Two teams that would trade their first picks are Edmonton and Buffalo , both teams need to make improvements to make the playoffs. Edmonton is in a window and needs to adjust cap. Lucic would not be a hardship for us .He will give us something that we need toughness . This will let Hughes and Pettersson play without looking over their shoulder all the time. Bad contract yes could we get their 8th pick as well yes without giving up any of our core, yes to all. A package of  the following would get it done. Lucic Russel and the 8th overall for . Markstrom , Tanev, and Sutter  retain on Sutter 2 mil.. That package alone would make them playoff bound. Basically cap is even but Edmonton gains players that they need to defend with. We get some much needed toughness and future core piece .

Now Buffalo needs the same players but you would need to add I would say plus a prospect add Lockwood . So  Markstrom , Tanev, and Sutter  Lockwood and Vans 2nd pick plus a conditional pick 2020 ( 2nd or a 3rd) For Ristolainen and their first (5th overall). Defensively Buffalo is a mess this  package would cure that . We add another core player. Plus a deman that needs a change in scenery .

5 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Two teams that would trade their first picks are Edmonton and Buffalo , both teams need to make improvements to make the playoffs. Edmonton is in a window and needs to adjust cap. Lucic would not be a hardship for us .He will give us something that we need toughness . This will let Hughes and Pettersson play without looking over their shoulder all the time. Bad contract yes could we get their 8th pick as well yes without giving up any of our core, yes to all. A package of  the following would get it done. Lucic Russel and the 8th overall for . Markstrom , Tanev, and Sutter  retain on Sutter 2 mil.. That package alone would make them playoff bound. Basically cap is even but Edmonton gains players that they need to defend with. We get some much needed toughness and future core piece .

Now Buffalo needs the same players but you would need to add I would say plus a prospect add Lockwood . So  Markstrom , Tanev, and Sutter  Lockwood and Vans 2nd pick plus a conditional pick 2020 ( 2nd or a 3rd) For Ristolainen and their first (5th overall). Defensively Buffalo is a mess this  package would cure that . We add another core player. Plus a deman that needs a change in scenery .

Your proposals are not bad at all I just can’t see JB helping a team in our division get better when we likely need to make the playoffs to earn himself a contract extension. All these proposals involving Lucic to the Canucks seem way off base.

Buffalo on the other hand, perhaps we could work out a deal with our expansion cousins. Risto and their 5th would be the kind of glitzy deal I can see Franny wanting to happen at the draft here in Van...

22 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

If Buffalo is a mess, why don't they just keep their 5th and draft Byram?

Think we'll struggle without Markstrom... But do like the idea of getting the 5th OA.

Edited by spook007

6 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Buffalo is NOT trading a top pairing D man and the 5th overall for that weak ass package. Sutter and Tanev are band aids and past their primes and although he played phenomenal this year, Markstrom will have to do it again this season to prove last year wasn’t a fluke.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3