The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] should the canucks trade down in the upcoming draft

it seems to be a relative consensus that after the first 2 picks

the differences between the next 7 or so really is not that big

there is some debate about the value of byram, so he could be an exception

but he is not likely to slide to 10th spot anyway

i think jb and his draft team already have a pretty good idea who they want at 10

and given the past drafts, higher drafting teams will go off the board 2 or 3 times

so that our 10th selection could be had at the 12 or 13th spot

since the draft is in vancouver

we have a good, but not stellar draft position

it sure would make a lot of noise if the nucks traded down from the 10th

and picked up another 2nd or 3rd round selection

that would feel pretty good in the home town arena i think

what say you

• coastal.view changed the title to should the canucks trade down in the upcoming draft [discussion]

It's pretty much common knowledge what we need; top 6 forward and a top D. Since it seems to be much more difficult to develop Dmen, and we are rather thin, it would make sense to look at either Loderstrom or Seider. Both are probably available with a later pick than 10th. So yeah, agree that trading down to grab an extra 2nd or 3rd would make sense...IF that is an option to be explored.

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i think jb and his draft team already have a pretty good idea who they want at 10

and given the past drafts, higher drafting teams will go off the board 2 or 3 times

what say you

There's also a pretty good chance they know who they'd take before 10 ;)

So that could also mean either standing patt and hoping one of those guys falls to us at at 10, or perhaps, even moving up to 6, 7 or 8 to get their guy.

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

what say you

FYI - Threads like this would go in Proposals and Armchair GMing and not in Trades, Rumours, and Signings (which require a source). I have moved it for you. Just a heads up for the future. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's also a pretty good chance they know who they'd take before 10 ;)

So that could also mean either standing patt and hoping one of those guys falls to us at at 10, or perhaps, even moving up to 6, 7 or 8 to get their guy.

i understand

but consider my assumptions

they wish to make a splash

there is not much difference between the 7 or so prospects after the obvious ones

they likely have multiple relatively equally rated prospects between 10 and 13 when enough other teams "go off the board"

then they can create excitement in the draft at the home town arena

by making a trade to add another draft pick

i think the marketing potential here will influence how they handle this draft

since their draft position is kinda "meh" for a hometown draft

24 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

FYI - Threads like this would go in Proposals and Armchair GMing and not in Trades, Rumours, and Signings (which require a source). I have moved it for you. Just a heads up for the future. Thanks!

oooops.. my mistake

sorry about that

i should have been more focused on where the topic belonged

thanks for your imput

I think that is a very good question Coastal.....

Here is my problem with trading down......at 10, as you pointed out, there will be several teams that probably will go off the board, so possibly, if Benning has targeted a player, that player may be off the board already, or be taken before we get there. So, I am more of the mind to either stay where we are, or attempt  to move up 2 or 3 spots...….

Personally, I would like to get ahead of Anaheim and Edmonton, in the first round. Where we have the choice of those picks. But Benning may not be concerned about that, if he is not sold on one prospect over the other. (4 to 11 seem to be very close in calibre)

Personally, if Benning picks a forward (which I hope he does), I hope he goes after another late 1st or early second, and goes after a couple of Dmen, in the 28 to 40 OA spots.

I think it is possible, and there are plenty of examples where defensive picks in that area, have turned out to be very good choices...…(including our own Jett Woo)

Looking forward to seeing the answer provided...………...good post!

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think that is a very good question Coastal.....

Here is my problem with trading down......at 10, as you pointed out, there will be several teams that probably will go off the board, so possibly, if Benning has targeted a player, that player may be off the board already, or be taken before we get there. So, I am more of the mind to either stay where we are, or attempt  to move up 2 or 3 spots...….

Personally, I would like to get ahead of Anaheim and Edmonton, in the first round. Where we have the choice of those picks. But Benning may not be concerned about that, if he is not sold on one prospect over the other. (4 to 11 seem to be very close in calibre)

Personally, if Benning picks a forward (which I hope he does), I hope he goes after another late 1st or early second, and goes after a couple of Dmen, in the 28 to 40 OA spots.

I think it is possible, and there are plenty of examples where defensive picks in that area, have turned out to be very good choices...…(including our own Jett Woo)

Looking forward to seeing the answer provided...………...good post!

so you do not think there are a relatively equal group of prospects after the first 2 or 3?

you think there is someone worth targeting and pay extra for ?

who?

i think that next grouping is relatively equal

and given we have the draft in our hometown

our team management needs to create additional excitement

to jazz up the fan base

otherwise why would they agree to hold the draft ?

Trading down seems like giving up to me. I mean, it's nice that we have three 6th round picks, but really, none of those players will play in the NHL. Canucks need better players, not more picks. If Seider will be as good, if not better, than Soderstrom, then heck yeah, trade down. If not, then keep the pick and get the better player.

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

they wish to make a splash

there is not much difference between the 7 or so prospects after the obvious ones

they likely have multiple relatively equally rated prospects between 10 and 13 when enough other teams "go off the board"

Again, I like your topic...…..nice to see you post a thread, don't see many. :canucks:

Any how, Just a comment on your above statement

I actually think by seeing Benning's picks, that he is very deliberate in his picks and has a very definite list...with separation...…..he will just simply cross off the players as they get picked until it is his turn and take the BPA, as per his list.....I know what you mean, but I think he is precise, and has a strong feeling on his 1st round picks

Cheers

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you do not think there are a relatively equal group of prospects after the first 2 or 3?

you think there is someone worth targeting and pay extra for ?

who?

i think that next grouping is relatively equal

and given we have the draft in our hometown

our team management needs to create additional excitement

to jazz up the fan base

otherwise why would they agree to hold the draft ?

No, I think you are right in general......I think 4 or 5 to 11 are pretty much equal in talent, but that is in general and not particularly relevant to each club...….

3 minutes ago, zombieksa said:

Depending on where they fall:

Canucks:
Both NYR late 1st round picks
NYR 2nd round pick

NYR:
10th OA
Ericksson or Sutter

All of a sudden we have 4 picks in the top 40 and move a bad contract.

sorry not to be nit picky

but really

if you give nyr a choice

why in the world would they pick loui?

you may as well just erase him from your proposal

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

sorry not to be nit picky

but really

if you give nyr a choice

why in the world would they pick loui?

you may as well just erase him from your proposal

Wasn't really choice per say - was just looking at options of who we could ship out as a cap dump. Obviously I'd prefer if this was an option they make it Ericksson part of this deal and move Sutter seperately.

Nah, I don't want him to move down.  It is likely that one of Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras or Krebs could be there at 10.  I would take any of them as high as the 5th pick.  If not, Soderstrom looks like he could be a stud for us.  We are going to get a massive piece of the puzzle at 10 for sure, no reason to move down.

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Nah, I don't want him to move down.  It is likely that one of Turcotte, Podkolzin, Zegras or Krebs could be there at 10.  I would take any of them as high as the 5th pick.  If not, Soderstrom looks like he could be a stud for us.  We are going to get a massive piece of the puzzle at 10 for sure, no reason to move down.

Agreed.  The guys from 3-12 are almost (almost) interchangeable for where their NHL impact will be after developing.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  The guys from 3-12 are almost (almost) interchangeable for where their NHL impact will be after developing.  

I'm am secretly hoping that Turcotte falls due to injury and lack of games, or Podkolzin because he is russian.

Archived