The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

I pointed all this out a couple times in the various threads... no one cares.  It is easier to just keep validating each other that he is the slowest worst player in the league... now that we have discovered that Luke Schenn isn't the slowest, worst player in the league.

The amount of effort it takes to only bump into opposing players 3 times over the course of an entire season is stunning.  He had the lowest hits per game of any player in the entire league... by a long mile.  The next worst is a Chicago player Sikura who had 3 hits in 33 games.

As Ferraro and several other knowledgeable hockey guys have said... he is the most disengaged player they have ever seen, and that he wears his suit under his uniform because he knows he isn't going to break a sweat.

I want that attitude nowhere near our team.  I don't want our young guys thinking that is what being a professional is supposed to be.  I would rather an ineffective Lucic who would chew nails to try and win, than someone entirely apathetic.  Look how much Roussel positively affected the room, his attitude rubs off on the other guys.  Lucic is that even more so.  I also bet on Lucic finding a way to come back and be more useful than I do Erkisson.

I agree with you, but that NMC is a killer. We simply cannot have Lucic on our team (even if it means getting rid of Eriksson) unless he waives his NMC for the expansion draft. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Jesus. I had no idea that this happened. I can’t imagine what that must have done to Lucic. 

Interesting how many forget these guys have families, lives and even struggles.   I still recall how many were posting vile stuff about Linden Vey when imagine what he went through even in compare to this for Lucic.   To think that stuff doesn't impact your entire life.....let alone playing a game.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

I agree with you, but that NMC is a killer. We simply cannot have Lucic on our team (even if it means getting rid of Eriksson) unless he waives his NMC for the expansion draft. 

If the language that has been posted before by folks is correct, his NMC automatically disappears when he waives it to be moved.  It would have to have agreement from both parties to add that clause back into the contract.  Naturally no receiving team would do that, and Lucic wouldn't even push for it as his alternative is staying in Edmonton.

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Interesting how many forget these guys have families, lives and even struggles.   I still recall how many were posting vile stuff about Linden Vey when imagine what he went through even in compare to this for Lucic.   To think that stuff doesn't impact your entire life.....let alone playing a game.

True. They become this abstract object for fans to project misguided embitterment onto. Having his father commit suicide must have had a massive effect on how Lucic was processing everything in his life, especially when he was in the midst of being a father himself.

The game probably took a secondary position in his life at the time, and many dismissed him as being a has been when he was just trying to stay afloat and manage. Couple that with the anger and vitriol from Edmonton fans, and I’m sure he’s soured on the place. 

Once again, I’d welcome a reinvigorated Lucic. Now, if the game really has passed him by, Holland needs to include the 8th overall. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t think getting Lucic to waive the clause to come to Vancouver or for the ED would be too hard. Edmonton is a crappy place to live, a crappy team and he clearly needs a change of scenery. Seattle is going to get the LVK treatment and will be a great place to play. They won’t pick him, but I think he should do a happy dance if they do. 

43 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I wouldn’t think getting Lucic to waive the clause to come to Vancouver or for the ED would be too hard. Edmonton is a crappy place to live, a crappy team and he clearly needs a change of scenery. Seattle is going to get the LVK treatment and will be a great place to play. They won’t pick him, but I think he should do a happy dance if they do. 

If he wants out of Edmonton, he'll have to.

I think how  Eriksson can be moved would be to wait until after July 1st ,when the 3M bonus is paid, and retain the max. This leaves a remaining cash total of 9M owed over the last three years along with a 3M cap hit. Or potentially look at a team like Dallas that has a few bad but less severe contracts and try to work something out. I think it's possible but it won't be pain free. 

5 hours ago, bassetgreg said:

Last year

Lucic -9

Eriksson -11

Eriksson last 3 years   24,23 and 29 pts

Lucic last 3 years   50,34 and 20 points

Eriksson is not useful at all. 

Oh yes and Eriksson only had 3 hits last year....yes, only 3    https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/erikslo01.html

Lucic 259 hits...big body hits   https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lucicmi01.html

By those stats that you posted it is pretty clear which way Lucic is trending and if you are going to use +/- at least provide context. The Edmonton Oilers are a more offensive team than the Canucks and Lucic plays in more offensive situations than Eriksson. Eriksson plays a defensive/shutdown role and does a decent job at it; he gets paid too much for his role but he still does a good job. Eriksson is put into situations where his +/- stats are more susceptible to be negatively impacted. It is a team statistic after all. Furthermore to that point, Eriksson played 14min/game whereas Lucic was at 13min/game. Again, given the exposure to defensive situations/playing against opponents top line, Eriksson's +/- is more susceptible to negative outcomes. Lucic on the other hand, got significantly less goals and points than Eriksson playing a more offensive role on a more offensive team.

To say Eriksson is not useful is ridiculous. He plays a significant role on our PK; a PK that was ranked 11th league wide. Whereas Lucic bounced around from PP1 and PP2, mostly on PP2 IIRC, on a oilers PP that was ranked top 10 in the league with CM97 getting time on both PP1 and PP2. I don't know if Lucic played much PK time but the oilers PK was last in the league. Yeah Lucic gets more hits but no one is claiming Eriksson to be a physical player, he contributes in other areas like the PK and shutdown roles. If you want hits go after Matt Martin for half the price and more foot speed.

Am I saying that Erikkson was a good signing? No, absolutely not. But would I prefer him over Lucic? Absolutely. Especially given the one less year on the contract of LE and NMC of Lucic.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

If the language that has been posted before by folks is correct, his NMC automatically disappears when he waives it to be moved.  It would have to have agreement from both parties to add that clause back into the contract.  Naturally no receiving team would do that, and Lucic wouldn't even push for it as his alternative is staying in Edmonton.

Intereting. I haven't heard that take before but I think you may be right. A quick look at PK Subban on cap friendly and it says Nashville did not honour PK's NMC that would have kicked in July 1 2016.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/pk-subban

44 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Intereting. I haven't heard that take before but I think you may be right. A quick look at PK Subban on cap friendly and it says Nashville did not honour PK's NMC that would have kicked in July 1 2016.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/pk-subban

I am not sure if it is true.  They asked Mackenzie on 1040 about it specifically yesterday.  He didn’t know, he said he thinks it can be stipulated in a contract that the NMC moves with the player.... but doesn’t know the case with Lucic.

It is obviously the dealbreaker.  The amount of sweetener to take a NMC through expansion would be too high for them probably to consider.

Of course, if we did it and then were slower a compliance buyout before expansion we would be pretty happy.

10 hours ago, bassetgreg said:

Last year

Lucic -9

Eriksson -11

Eriksson last 3 years   24,23 and 29 pts

Lucic last 3 years   50,34 and 20 points

Eriksson is not useful at all. 

Oh yes and Eriksson only had 3 hits last year....yes, only 3    https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/erikslo01.html

Lucic 259 hits...big body hits   https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lucicmi01.html

I'd take Lucic any day over Erikkson. I'd take Lucic just to watch him swear at anyone who even farts near 40.

His contract is difficult though with the NMC. 

Erikkson had three hits. That's disgusting. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I’m curious to see what kind of reaction he’ll get from the fans, if he does gets traded here. 

Especially those who question his integrity and intelligence.

Nothing but cheers. Bettman could wear a Canucks jersey and we'd cheer. 

38 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

3 hits during an entire season. I didn't think that was possible.

C'mon at least Lucic competes.

I'd hit 3 players by accident. Just shows a lack of commitment and engagement.

Krug doesn't even need a helmet to hit.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I’m curious to see what kind of reaction he’ll get from the fans, if he does gets traded here. 

The moment he levels someone or knocks the &$%# out of someone for hitting Pettersson, you’ll hear a reaction. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Are you talking about those drunk Granville Street guys that wanted to start a fight with him outside of a club?  Or the jewels of our society that spray painted on his church and his grandparents' house? 

I wouldn't worry what those guys think, world is full of idiots and you'll never appease them all. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Are you talking about those drunk Granville Street guys that wanted to start a fight with him outside of a club?  Or the jewels of our society that spray painted on his church and his grandparents' house? 

I wouldn't worry what those guys think, world is full of idiots and you'll never appease them all. 

I’m talking about fans on this particular forum, who have a strong disdain for Lucic.