The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Jonathan Dahlen could be going back to Timra next season.

Probably another tactic to get the club to play him at the NHL level or he's gone. I've kept giving him the benefit of the doubt (even suggesting an agent issue rather than Dahlen when he left here), but it's getting harder and harder to support him with his actions. You'd think the son of a former NHLer would know better.

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Probably another tactic to get the club to play him at the NHL level or he's gone. I've kept giving him the benefit of the doubt (even suggesting an agent issue rather than Dahlen when he left here), but it's getting harder and harder to support him with his actions. You'd think the son of a former NHLer would know better.

I think the problem with Dahlen is that he wants to have fun. 

NHL/AHL isn't that understanding(especially in Canada) , as SHL, so he'll probably always have a problem with motivation if he not get a coach with great knowledge in psychology. 

But if Dahlen has fun he'll manage NHL also but after reading what fans value it seems unlikely. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

NHL/AHL isn't that understanding(especially in Canada) , as SHL, so he'll probably always have a problem with motivation if he not get a coach with great knowledge in psychology. 

But if Dahlen has fun he'll manage NHL also but after reading what fans value it seems unlikely. 

There's having fun and there's putting the time in so you can be in the best league in the world. Unfortunately Dahlen isn't some elite talent that can stroll into the NHL so he has to pay his dues. No one is suggesting he can't have fun while playing hockey, but there will have to be a level of commitment and effort if you expect to be taken seriously in the next level. He doesn't want to try, then there are plenty of players who will.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So basically he's a Ho-Sang, who also apparently wants to have fun....

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

There's having fun and there's putting the time in so you can be in the best league in the world. Unfortunately Dahlen isn't some elite talent that can stroll into the NHL so he has to pay his dues. No one is suggesting he can't have fun while playing hockey, but there will have to be a level of commitment and effort if you expect to be taken seriously in the next level. He doesn't want to try, then there are plenty of players who will.

Agree, if he not want to dig the heels down and work harder to have fun later he's not gonna make it.

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So basically he's a Ho-Sang, who also apparently wants to have fun....

If you take a look at Petey he's the same... Get Petey emotionally motivated and he beat every single player in NHL. Hence the collaboration between Dahlen and Petey might have been something extra ordinary. 

But wich coaches in NHL are that good at man management? 

Just now, Timråfan said:

If you take a look at Petey he's the same... Get Petey emotionally motivated and he beat every single player in NHL. Hence the collaboration between Dahlen and Petey might have been something extra ordinary. 

Ah, not really. Petey's considered an extremely hard worker. Dahlen apparently doesn't want to put in that work to make the NHL over here.

That's a pretty big difference between those 2 players, and we're not even considering raw talent with that either, of which Petey's natural abilities are off the charts.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The Beagle contract doesn't matter with where we are and will be for its duration cap wise....people really need to get over it. It is not their money....

Give them credit, they achieved the rare 'triple-derp' with those posts :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Ah, not really. Petey's considered an extremely hard worker. Dahlen apparently doesn't want to put in that work to make the NHL over here.

That's a pretty big difference between those 2 players, and we're not even considering raw talent with that either, of which Petey's natural abilities are off the charts.

You saw Petey come full speed from a season where he was the reason Växjö won SHL. High on positive emotions. Flying and scoring and no one can stop him. 

Dahlen went to AHL where a hard attitude dominate. One big difference. 

If Peteys latter part with fewer points and a lot of turnovers had been from the start... What would you have thought of Petey then? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

You saw Petey come full speed from a season where he was the reason Växjö won SHL. High on positive emotions. Flying and scoring and no one can stop him. 

Dahlen went to AHL where a hard attitude dominate. One big difference. 

If Peteys latter part with fewer points and a lot of turnovers had been from the start... What would you have thought of Petey then? 

What does this have to do with how Petey is now? Petey didn't have fewer points and didn't have a lot of turnovers, so what does it have to do with how he's actually been playing? Clearly, you realise Petey's played well (and I'm glad at least you realise that). The AHL is much easier than the NHL. Dahlen, if he was ready, would have schooled the AHL. He didn't. Therefore, Dahlen clearly needed more work than Petey coming in.

What do you see in Dahlen that makes him just as good as Petey and deserving of a automatic addition to this team without putting in the work in the AHL? Please be specific and not just say "he deserves it". Why would he deserve it?

I am of the mentality that everyone needs to work for it. If Petey wasn't ready, he would have played in the AHL too and would have had to work on his skills much like how Dahlen had to work. The NHL is the toughest league to play in in the world. and is a significant jump from even the AHL. What Petey's done coming into the league is amazing and I don't blame Dahlen for needing more work as he's not as skilled as Petey; however, if he's not willing to put in the work, he's not playing in the NHL. Period.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

What does this have to do with how Petey is now? Petey didn't have fewer points and didn't have a lot of turnovers, so what does it have to do with how he's actually been playing? Clearly, you realise Petey's played well (and I'm glad at least you realise that). The AHL is much easier than the NHL. Dahlen, if he was ready, would have schooled the AHL. He didn't. Therefore, Dahlen clearly needed more work than Petey coming in.

What do you see in Dahlen that makes him just as good as Petey and deserving of a automatic addition to this team without putting in the work in the AHL? Please be specific and not just say "he deserves it". Why would he deserve it?

I am of the mentality that everyone needs to work for it. If Petey wasn't ready, he would have played in the AHL too and would have had to work on his skills much like how Dahlen had to work. The NHL is the toughest league to play in in the world. and is a significant jump from even the AHL. What Petey's done coming into the league is amazing and I don't blame Dahlen for needing more work as he's not as skilled as Petey; however, if he's not willing to put in the work, he's not playing in the NHL. Period.

You misunderstand me... Dahlen is no way near Petey. I say both players thrive when they are surrounded by positive, honest players that want to play hockey. 

You know, like the Sedins... Not go the hockey rugby style. 

SHL and KHL is better leagues than AHL. Put players like Dahlen and the finnish player there instead. Let them earn their "NHL" rights a better way. 

Bortom line is it’s up to the player to make it and that you have to question JD:s mental toughness. NHL history is also full of players that never made it due to mentality, physical attributes, bad luck or a combination. 

That said, while GMJB while be remembered as a draft genius with one or two more good drafts, the pro scouting and prospect development under his watch have been bad. 

Regarding prospects, McCann and Virtanen where rushed (Gaudette as well in my eyes), Dahlen and Palmu should have played at least one more year in Europe. And I’m sorry, but if McEwen and Sautner are the only positive developments from Utica for an entire season that’s just not gotta cut it. Also - playing a player like Dahlen in the bottom 6 in the AHL makes no sense at all. If he’s not ready for top 6, he should not be on the roster (same as for Goldy, Boucher etc.). 

Like with Dahlen, you can always find excuses but the results are what matters. 

I don’t know enough about Cull and Johnson to have an informed opinion, but I’m really hoping for a better season in Utica this year and if not that’s a major concern. 

I do think the rookie players coming in to the NHL last season have been put in positions to succeed though and have been more or less ready, so that’s a positive. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/3/2019 at 1:02 PM, Alflives said:

Different spelling though.  

:lol:

Never thought we’d get a spelling lesson on Dahlen and Dahlin from Alf!

I think for about a year straight I kept reading “Dhalen” and ”Dhalin” in your posts. 

(Friendly ribbing and all in good fun, Alf. Just makes me laugh to see you setting someone straight on the spelling of these names.)

5 hours ago, J-P said:

Bortom line is it’s up to the player to make it and that you have to question JD:s mental toughness. NHL history is also full of players that never made it due to mentality, physical attributes, bad luck or a combination. 

That said, while GMJB while be remembered as a draft genius with one or two more good drafts, the pro scouting and prospect development under his watch have been bad. 

Regarding prospects, McCann and Virtanen where rushed (Gaudette as well in my eyes), Dahlen and Palmu should have played at least one more year in Europe. And I’m sorry, but if McEwen and Sautner are the only positive developments from Utica for an entire season that’s just not gotta cut it. Also - playing a player like Dahlen in the bottom 6 in the AHL makes no sense at all. If he’s not ready for top 6, he should not be on the roster (same as for Goldy, Boucher etc.). 

Like with Dahlen, you can always find excuses but the results are what matters. 

I don’t know enough about Cull and Johnson to have an informed opinion, but I’m really hoping for a better season in Utica this year and if not that’s a major concern. 

I do think the rookie players coming in to the NHL last season have been put in positions to succeed though and have been more or less ready, so that’s a positive. 

Great post, if only more fans use their heads to analyse and reflect more I could stay quiet. ::D

21 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I think EP40 is internally motivated, and Dhalen needs to be externally motivated and because he doesn't have the skill level to get by without effort he'll have an extremely tough time making it in the NHL.

2 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

I think EP40 is internally motivated, and Dhalen needs to be externally motivated and because he doesn't have the skill level to get by without effort he'll have an extremely tough time making it in the NHL.

It all comes down to man management. If the organisation isn't flexible(modern) it it's approach only certain types of players succeed. With a more individual approach more players succeed... Win win situation. 

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

It all comes down to man management. If the organisation isn't flexible(modern) it it's approach only certain types of players succeed. With a more individual approach more players succeed... Win win situation. 

You keep talking about this, but these players aren't children. They've got to want it, and sometimes no matter how much effort and time you pour into a player it becomes obvious they just don't want it bad enough and then you have to move on from them. Not meant as a statementof value of the individual, but as an organisation you have to invest your time and energy where it will be most useful. 

• Upvote 1