The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomical sightings thread

Kragar

Two black holes got together. Real big.

Large gravitational waves, these ones oscillate as they are made up of only 5 or 6 waveforms. Most gravitational waves detected are made up of hundreds.

I have thought that gravitation waves may be the key to future long distance space travel. These waves effect time and space, could we ride a wave and dodge the impact that time has on us, since we have such short lives?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Large gravitational waves, these ones oscillate as they are made up of only 5 or 6 waveforms. Most gravitational waves detected are made up of hundreds.

I have thought that gravitation waves may be the key to future long distance space travel. These waves effect time and space, could we ride a wave and dodge the impact that time has on us, since we have such short lives?

Beautiful, makes my mind wonder too.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 6:51 PM, bishopshodan said:

Space surfing eh, it's a beautiful thought, but it ZPE will enable us to travel the stars.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

As in wormhole?

Haha, I haven't figured it out yet:P

In the quantum world I think of that spooky connection at a distance, entanglement. 

Gotta be a way to tap that and transfer info over great distances? then once we can upload them...consciousnesses. Boom, we are intergalactic. 

Edit:

Read a bit about ZPE last night. Cool, want to learn more.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

Those Russkies......:rolleyes:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/world/venus-russian-planet-scn-scli-intl/index.html

No longer confined to territories here on Earth, Russia has now staked its claim on Venus, saying it is a "Russian planet."

This week, Dmitry Rogozin, head of the Russian space corporation Roscosmos, revealed that the country plans to send its own mission to Venus in addition to "Venera-D," the planned joint mission with the US, the Russian state news agency TASS reported.
Rogozin was addressing reporters at the HeliRussia 2020 exhibition, an international expo of the helicopter industry in Moscow.
"Resuming Venus exploration is on our agenda," he told reporters Tuesday.
"We think that Venus is a Russian planet, so we shouldn't lag behind," he said.

In retaliation, president Donald Trump immediately declared Uranus an American planet....B)
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

From the BBC:

A new high powered telescope in the Australian outback has led astronomers to an intriguing new discovery.

"Odd radio circles" or ORCs have never been seen before and have left scientists baffled.

Astrophysicist Professor Ray Norris explained to the BBC why the mysterious circles have the space community so excited.

Video available at:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/55212727

Moving away from the metaphysical to the slightly more mundane, if you get a clear evening where you live as we approach the Winter Solstice, you should be able to see the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, just after sunset, low in the SW sky.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/jupiter-saturn-conjunction-1.5840818

How To Witness Astronomy's Once-In-A-Lifetime Planetary Alignment On  December 21

• 2 months later...
Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Perseverance has successfully landed on Mars! 

:towel:

Thanks for posting the link, Sharpie. I got in just in time to see the reaction.

Gotta say, I'm a bit blown away by how many young people work for JPL. As someone who's used to seeing MC usually being staffed by older white guys, it's a bit of an eye opener.

Of course, I'm really old.....

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thanks for posting the link, Sharpie. I got in just in time to see the reaction.

Gotta say, I'm a bit blown away by how many young people work for JPL. As someone who's used to seeing MC usually being staffed by older white guys, it's a bit of an eye opener.

Of course, I'm really old.....

Glad you were able to watch it Rup. In a time where the news from/for humanity is so grim and cynical, it's a welcome respite to see something that we've accomplished as a species that offers hope, positivity and well, perseverance. 

I totally understand your surprise at the diversity of Mission Control. I think it may be the most diverse representation on a NASA mission i've ever seen either. It makes me happy to see it.

I'm excited to see this rover possibly finding signs of life(which is a main mission) and how it's able to produce breathable oxygen and liquid O2 fuel, for future manned missions. If it's successful, I see a full on manned mission getting a green-light. 

These are exciting times indeed.

• Cheers 3

Perseverance's helicopter Ingenuity will take its first flight. This will be the first controlled flight on another planet, in order to collect data in order to engineer the flight of larger helicopters in the future. It'll also take colour pictures of the surface of Mars. This is really cool. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

When we start terraforming and living on Mars we're unleash an ancient space disease.  Killing us all.

Terraforming is a long long long ways away, and may not be within practical reach.

Food will be produced in controlled atmospheric pods for the foreseeable future. 

• Upvote 1