The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomical sightings thread

Kragar

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm excited to see this rover possibly finding signs of life(which is a main mission) and how it's able to produce breathable oxygen and liquid O2 fuel, for future manned missions. If it's successful, I see a full on manned mission getting a green-light. 

iirc Space Ex has an idea to send an unmanned craft up to Mars, have it sit there for a couple of months while it creates enough fuel to return. Then send people up in another ship. When it is time to come home they move to the first ship and come home. Meanwhile the second ship begins to refuel itself, waiting for another crew to come up.

Just now, gurn said:

iirc Space Ex has an idea to send an unmanned craft up to Mars, have it sit there for a couple of months while it creates enough fuel to return. Then send people up in another ship. When it is time to come home they move to the first ship and come home. Meanwhile the second ship begins to refuel itself, waiting for another crew to come up.

I think you're right. 

47 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hopefully they don't send Matt Damon.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Perseverance's helicopter Ingenuity will take its first flight. This will be the first controlled flight on another planet, in order to collect data in order to engineer the flight of larger helicopters in the future. It'll also take colour pictures of the surface of Mars. This is really cool. 

"Ohh what's that!?"

- "sand"

"Oh oh, over there, 3 o'clock  whats that!?"

-"a rock"

"Hey look ov.."

-"more rocks"

2 hours ago, gurn said:

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's just another inevitable step for humanity. We'll get there and beyond. It's in our DNA to explore.

It would be interesting to me to see what technology eventually gets used to go these long distances, because Mars isn't even like going across the street to see the neighbours in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps just a trip to your front door? lol

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's just another inevitable step for humanity. We'll get there and beyond. It's in our DNA to explore.

It's also in our DNA to destroy ourselves and the planet we live on.

We are doing a reasonably good job of that now.

Don't get me wrong I am excited about this just as I was when we all celebrated the Rover expedition,however I know our species ability to snatch defeat in the face of victory.

At least there is not that much we can trash on Mars.

36 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Don't get me wrong I am excited about this just as I was when we all celebrated the Rover expedition,however I know our species ability to snatch defeat in the face of victory.

Until we find Atlantis on Mars... and kill them from our germs accidentally....

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Until we find Atlantis on Mars... and kill them from our germs accidentally....

I know you are joking however this is a concern we must consider if we do find a planet in the future that has life on it.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I understand your concern. We may be expanding more/faster than we're socially evolving.

Being violent, adversarial, and hatred is inherent in us. Without dealing with these ancient and yet ever-present social/individual vestiges, our future endeavors may always be endangered.

• Upvote 1