The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You still don’t get it. Those other’s potential? You can’t have 3/4 of your D filled with “potential”. One or two is good but other than that, it’s a recipe for disaster and the young guys will learn nothing. 

Risto Ghost Schenn .. all Vets..  the league is getting younger..  there is talent on the way that will push a 32 year old hockey player into extinction if he can’t play like he is 25-27.

A lot of this new talent does no t need a mentor..  let me go wild for a sec..  MacDavid, Marner, Mathews, Kruug, McEvoy, Barsal..

its a list that is growing all the time..  1 - 4 mentors on a team..   Edler is no mentor.. nor Tanev.  Schenn has that quality.. Biegga oozes ethic.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

They didn't think Patrick was ready to play C2 and see him in a less demanding role at C3.  They were targeting a point producing C2 to create a legit scoring line with JvR and Voracek.  Their 1st line being Giroux-Couturier-Konecny.   Sutter and Gaudette don't fit what they were looking for.

Tanev's injury history probably scares teams.  Canucks probably also don't want to part with Tanev given the uncertainty around the Ds.  There's been talk that they see him playing with Hughes.

YIKES !

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Those names were not meant to be particular pairings,. As I stated I wasn’t paying attention to LH or Rh set ups..  and again all Hypothetics.. 

so with the names I had, how about this Old News, no particular 1-2-3..

Ghost Tryamkin

Hughes Schenn

Risto Joulevi

Biegga Sautner Brisebois Hutton

im getting low on pop.   

I would not take Stecher out of the lineup - to put Schenn in the top 4.  This is the problem with adding a D like Gostisbehere who isn't really a fit  - you need to create another absence/fit in order to accommodate that move.

And you've most likely just spent a ton of assets, while still having another piece to figure out.

Tryamkin - fine - but are we talking about the present - the work that is being done now - because he isn't here, so there's another whole to deal with in that proposal?

Ristolainen makes sense imo - but instead of Gostisbehere, the focus imo should be on another RHD - (or keep Tanev_ - who can help enable/support Hughes, Juolevi (and some size/grit as well to play with Stecher).  No Tanev, no Stecher, but Schenn.... the symmetry wasn't found.

The way this team is set up right now with Edler likely leaving, it's very possible that 2 of Hughes, Juolevi , or Brisebois start the season on the left side for us with Hutton. To me, that means we're gonna need some good vets to play on the right side. Tanev stays, unless someone like Doughty becomes available. Also since he has no back up on the right side for good hard PK minutes, we'll need to upgrade one of Stetcher/Biega/Schenn with an experienced vet who can still do it, lay the body, grind out the PK minutes, being paired with either Hutton or Juolevi/Brisebois. Benning has to hit a homerun with a trade for that right side. Honestly, the 10th has to be on the table. We need this.

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

So a player we probably won't get and a player who may not come back until next year are going to match up against the other teams top lines? Do you even comprehend the different roles players have? It doesn't seem like you do.

Not only that, but what is our forward group going to look like with what we would have to give up to get both Risto and Gost?

So your trying to pick apart a hypothetical swap of 2 players on D ... and now your tearing down an entire team..

ive already stated what I thought might get Risto and Gost,.  Maybe it was to one of the other posters I’ve answered to here..

im sorry if I overlooked you, and sorry that your not the center of my universe,. Especially now that your creating a complex compound problem that might require algebra.. from a hypothetical plus and minus calculation.

i was told the Flyers were looking for a C2 and a 4D ...    I say Tanev.. and one of  Granlund, Baertschi, Sutter, or regrettably the possibility Gaudette , who played Center in College...

anyway, it sounds like Philly May have solved their situation.

We or, I,  don’t know what Buffalo would want for Risto , but I think his contract expires in 22.. and his cap hit is just over 5m per..

Maybe we get Edler to sign with no clauses,.   trade for Risto , and add our 1st pick in 2021. 

Its all hypothetics,.  Don’t kill yourself over this or anything,.  

Maybe you have some thoughts on trying to make it work, dream a little, have some fun..  your not offering much.

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I would not take Stecher out of the lineup - to put Schenn in the top 4.  This is the problem with adding a D like Gostisbehere who isn't really a fit  - you need to create another absence/fit in order to accommodate that move.

And you've most likely just spent a ton of assets, while still having another piece to figure out.

Tryamkin - fine - but are we talking about the present - the work that is being done now - because he isn't here, so there's another whole to deal with in that proposal?

Ristolainen makes sense imo - but instead of Gostisbehere, the focus imo should be on another RHD - (or keep Tanev_ - who can help enable/support Hughes, Juolevi (and some size/grit as well to play with Stecher).  No Tanev, no Stecher, but Schenn.... the symmetry wasn't found.

Your turn Old News, dream a little... it’s hockey, anything can happen..  look what the Blues did this year.

I honestly dont get the NMC that he is seeking if that is the main deal breaker here. If he is exposed and picked up by Seattle, that wouldn't be as bad as you think. He wants to remain in Vancouver but Seattle is only a 3 hr drive? His family would be setttled and not have to worry even if he gets picked up by Seattle. Win win IMO. 

4 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

I honestly dont get the NMC that he is seeking if that is the main deal breaker here. If he is exposed and picked up by Seattle, that wouldn't be as bad as you think. He wants to remain in Vancouver but Seattle is only a 3 hr drive? His family would be setttled and not have to worry even if he gets picked up by Seattle. Win win IMO. 

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Media reported today that Edler's camp is fine with no ED protection if the Canucks add more term than the 2 years they're currently offering.

It's just negotiation 'chicken'.

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Risto Ghost Schenn .. all Vets..  the league is getting younger..  there is talent on the way that will push a 32 year old hockey player into extinction if he can’t play like he is 25-27.

A lot of this new talent does no t need a mentor..  let me go wild for a sec..  MacDavid, Marner, Mathews, Kruug, McEvoy, Barsal..

its a list that is growing all the time..  1 - 4 mentors on a team..   Edler is no mentor.. nor Tanev.  Schenn has that quality.. Biegga oozes ethic.

Did you miss the playoffs this season.......or every season.  The bad teams are getting younger........the good teams are older teams.

McDavid hardly counts as needing a mentor haha.

Marner had Marleau, Kadri, etc. Same with Matthews

Krug has had Chara, and others

McAvoy has been under Charas wing

Barzal has had Tavares, Ladd...

Horvat had the Sedins

Boeser had Vanek, BoHo, and Sedins to learn from

Sam Steel has Getzlaf, Perry, Silfverberg

Your turn Old News, dream a little... it’s hockey, anything can happen..  look what the Blues did this year.

Ah.  I get it.  You're not basing your "hypothetical" moves in reality.   OK.

I think they should also get rid of their current defense and replace them as follows:

HedBerg  Doughty

Dahlen     Burns

Giordano  Hughes

Subban   Reilly

I really think Hughes will flourish playing with these players, and will elevate his game to be the next Bobby Orr.

18 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

McDavid hardly counts as needing a mentor haha.

Marner had Marleau, Kadri, etc. Same with Matthews

Krug has had Chara, and others

McAvoy has been under Charas wing

Barzal has had Tavares, Ladd...

Horvat had the Sedins

Boeser had Vanek, BoHo, and Sedins to learn from

Sam Steel has Getzlaf, Perry, Silfverberg

And Edler has been here how many years and whom has he mentored?

... the point of my point in that quote is that there game requires very little mentoring..  perhaps 4 vets per team.

17 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Ah.  I get it.  You're not basing your "hypothetical" moves in reality.   OK.

I think they should also get rid of their current defense and replace them as follows:

HedBerg  Doughty

Dahlen     Burns

Giordano  Hughes

Subban   Reilly

I really think Hughes will flourish playing with these players, and will elevate his game to be the next Bobby Orr.

Hypothetical within the reason of whom is or reportedly available via trade or UFA..

Bobby Orr didn’t have a mentor,.   and if he had had Edler or Tanev,  I kinda think a different journey.

According to Sekeras, the Canucks are shopping Tanev... that would leave a hole on the top RD for... Ristolainen?! :frantic:

Imagine Edler and Tanev gone, the last members from the 2011 team.

Then we go sign Gardiner.

Gardiner - Stecher

Hughes - Ristolainen

Juolevi - 

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Hypothetical within the reason of whom is or reportedly available via trade or UFA..

Bobby Orr didn’t have a mentor,.   and if he had had Edler or Tanev,  I kinda think a different journey.

Haha.  Yeah I was being overly sarcastic.  

I appreciate your optimism, however unfounded I believe it to be.

46 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

And Edler has been here how many years and whom has he mentored?

... the point of my point in that quote is that there game requires very little mentoring..  perhaps 4 vets per team.

Stecher's mentioned how invaluable he's been numerous times. They were talking about Edler's invaluable leadership on Sportnet this morning as well.

He's a quiet, stoic Swede and you don't see a lot of him in the media. Doesn't mean he's not an excellent leader in that locker room.

39 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

According to Sekeras, the Canucks are shopping Tanev... that would leave a hole on the top RD for... Ristolainen?! :frantic:

Imagine Edler and Tanev gone, the last members from the 2011 team.

Then we go sign Gardiner.

Gardiner - Stecher

Hughes - Ristolainen

Juolevi - 

I'd prefer we retain Edler and add Stralman to that list.

Edler, Stralman (match up pair)

Hughes, Ristolainen (offensive pair)

Hutton, Stecher (mop up)

Part way through the season you move Hutton to a team with D injuries and recall Juolevi.

Archived