The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Government Approves TMX Pipeline Again - Update: Supreme Court Dismisses Appeal

DonLever

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Genocide.....   i guess at the time of residential schools.... maybe people should have protested in front of ferry terminals as well...

Sometimes big action is needed...    Protesting an empty MLA/MP office is not always super effective.

First nations have been inconvenienced for 100 years.... maybe the rest of BC losing a day isn't really a huge thing...

Tell that to the guy waiting for a surgery that if re booked will be in 6 months, if they are still alive.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Tell that to the guy waiting for a surgery that if re booked will be in 6 months, if they are still alive.

Tell that to 3000 missing aborignial women..... who i am pretty sure are not still alive......

Edited by kingofsurrey

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

As I wait for my time in surgery, day after tomorrow, this was my first thought.

Excatly, its more than just work like some people will say "oh he can be late for work its no big deal".  Theres lives and $$ for people on the table.  If people can't get to work and miss out on a day of work it can severely impact their financial well being.

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Excatly, its more than just work like some people will say "oh he can be late for work its no big deal".  Theres lives and $$ for people on the table.  If people can't get to work and miss out on a day of work it can severely impact their financial well being.

If your indigenous mom/sister is missing.... that is also impacting you pretty  hard as well..........

At least with the terminal... you can just drive to another terminal..... and get to the mainland....  

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Have you checked the weather reports to see if the other ships are sailing?

Protest is already over... i think sailings are back on..

Rich Canadians are going to get their starbucks lattes on time... all is good...

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Nothing says trying to correct a wrong by &^@#ing over someone else who is in no way responsible for anything. 

Canadians have been f..... ing over indigenous populations here in Canada for over 100 years...

Too funny seeing canadians whining about being an hour late for their Lattes today.....    LOL >

7 minutes ago, haton said:

Do you know how many and why they are missing?

The missing and murdered Indigenous women epidemic (MMIW) is an issue currently affecting Indigenous people in Canada and the United States, including the First Nations, Inuit, Métis (FNIM), and Native American communities.[1][2][3][4] It has been described as a Canadian national crisis[5][6][7] and a Canadian genocide.[8][9][10][

Responding to repeated calls of Indigenous groups, other activists, and non-governmental organizations, the Government of Canada under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau established the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in September 2016.[13] According to the April 22, 2016 background of the inquiry, between 1980 and 2012 Indigenous women and girls represented 16% of all female homicides in Canada while only 4% of the female population in Canada.[14] A 2011 Statistics Canada report estimated that from 1997 and 2000, the rate of homicide for Aboriginal females was almost seven times higher than other females.[15] Compared to non-Indigenous females, they were also "disproportionately affected by all forms of violence".[14] They are also significantly over-represented among female Canadian homicide victims,[16] and are far more likely than other women to go missing.[1

The RCMP's 2014 report "Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women: A National Operational Overview" found that more than 1,000 Indigenous women were murdered over thirty years. While homicides for non-Indigenous women declined between 1980 and 2015, the number of Indigenous women who were victims of homicide increased from 9% of all female homicide victims in 1980 to 24% in 2015.[12]:55[31]:24 From 2001 to 2015, the homicide rate for Indigenous women in Canada was almost six times as high as the homicide rate for non-Indigenous women, representing "4.82 per 100,000 population versus 0.82 per 100,000 population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_and_murdered_Indigenous_women

At least some politicians understand what honest and respect look like...

It’s a blustery Saturday in northern B.C. and Green party interim leader Adam Olsen has just stepped off a plane in Smithers.

He is heading to the Office of the Wet’suwet’en and a meeting with the hereditary chiefs fighting the Coastal GasLink pipeline through their traditional territory.

Hereditary Chief Na’Moks shows Olsen around the boardroom and explains a map of clan and house group territories. He points out photos of hereditary chiefs who paved the way for the nation’s land claims, and photos of Wet’suwet’en children. They remind the chiefs of their responsibility, Na’Moks said.

“Long-term planning,” said Olsen, the MLA for Saanich North and the Islands who took over as interim party leader when Andrew Weaver stepped down in December.

Dominating the room is a table more than six metres long. It’s from the Smithers courtroom where the landmark Delgamuukw case was launched by the Gitxsan and Wet’suwet’en in Smithers more than 30 years ago. The case, ultimately decided by the Supreme Court of Canada in 1997, was critical in establishing Indigenous rights to traditional territories.

Sitting at that table, Olsen said he doesn’t have any simple answers to resolve the pipeline conflict. He stressed the importance of starting a conversation.

“It really starts with humility and listening and spending time and building relationships and having those conversations. I’ve been honoured to have the invite to come up and do it,” Olsen said. “That invitation means something to me.”

Na’Moks welcomed Olsen’s visit.

“We’re actually quite honoured to have Mr. Olsen here, as the leader of the Green Party of British Columbia,” Na’Moks said. “Previously, we’ve had other leaders in here that would not stand behind their words when they talk to us. We expect better. I know we deserve better.”

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/01/20/BC-Green-Crosses-RCMP-Checkpoint/

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

This part is a little interesting.....

On Jan. 13, the RCMP created a checkpoint on the Morice road and limited access to the area.

The same day, Horgan told media the provincial government would not respond to the Wet’suwet’en requests for a meeting.

“This project is proceeding, and the rule of law needs to prevail in B.C.,” he said.

Olsen said Horgan’s position is troubling, especially as in November the legislature unanimously passed Bill 41, which commits the government to accept the provisions of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. That includes recognition of the right to participate in any decision-making through their own procedures and law.

“It’s problematic when you refer to the rule of law and Indigenous law is excluded from that,” Olsen said. “I think it’s pretty clear that the Canadian court system has recognized Indigenous law as part of the broader legal context in this country and in this province. We’re sitting in territory where the court decisions reference and explain the very, very sophisticated order that this territory has been governed by since time immemorial.”

On 1/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, kingofsurrey said:

This part is a little interesting.....

On Jan. 13, the RCMP created a checkpoint on the Morice road and limited access to the area.

The same day, Horgan told media the provincial government would not respond to the Wet’suwet’en requests for a meeting.

“This project is proceeding, and the rule of law needs to prevail in B.C.,” he said.

Olsen said Horgan’s position is troubling, especially as in November the legislature unanimously passed Bill 41, which commits the government to accept the provisions of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. That includes recognition of the right to participate in any decision-making through their own procedures and law.

“It’s problematic when you refer to the rule of law and Indigenous law is excluded from that,” Olsen said. “I think it’s pretty clear that the Canadian court system has recognized Indigenous law as part of the broader legal context in this country and in this province. We’re sitting in territory where the court decisions reference and explain the very, very sophisticated order that this territory has been governed by since time immemorial.”

respect doesn't mean dropping your schedule when someone asks for a meeting out of the blue :picard:

I noticed you totally ignored the story on your UN buddies. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

respect doesn't mean dropping your schedule when someone asks for a meeting out of the blue :picard:

I noticed you totally ignored the story on your UN buddies. 

Its funny how wads of money can swing peoples values / opinions..... money can do that.   It can distract people from what truly is important in life. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Its funny how wads of money can swing peoples values / opinions..... money can do that.   It can distract people from what truly is important in life. 

Jobs and prosperity for this country which in turn keeps things like free medical care, free. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

oh come on man, at least acknowledge that the UN committee didn't know what it was talking about! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, Warhippy said:

Thank you to Trudeau and former Alberta Premier Notley for putting the time and effort in to this to ensure it got approved and will be guaranteed to beat any upcoming court challenges because it was done properly.

BC Waives a White Flag

While it has certainly taken longer than many think, WH I have to agree that having all the work done to death left zero room for any proper legal challenge.   Hats off where they are deserved even if I have to do it holding my nose.   

Cheers :)

On 1/21/2020 at 6:19 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

oh come on man, at least acknowledge that the UN committee didn't know what it was talking about! 

And this surprised you?   This is a group who when evaluating Wood Buffalo issues for the potential expansion of the oil sands sent their team to the wrong Province and then mistook the park location with an area south of Calgary.    

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

BC Waives a White Flag

While it has certainly taken longer than many think, WH I have to agree that having all the work done to death left zero room for any proper legal challenge.   Hats off where they are deserved even if I have to do it holding my nose.   

Cheers :)

Had they just done this right the first time we'd have seen the ceremonial smashing of the 10w 30 over the end of the line months ago.  When this was first approved and every single legal expert and even those in the energy sector sounded off about how legeal challenges would bury it, it ONLY made sense to redraw, redraft and ensure it got done.

I disagree with the timeline.  I still disagree with BCs level of compensation and the lies that have been endlessly parroted but I do not for a second disagree that this is a line that needed to be built and I am glad it's effectively on its way.

I still would have preferred to see a system further off shore to ensure that ships didn't have to navigate in to the Burnaby refinery and would love to see the Canadian government get very VERY serious about ensuring that any ship leaving the harbour carries excess insurance and can in fact be hunted down and made to pay clean up costs in the event of a spill.  But that's a fight for another day

it's done, it's over.  Get that line expanded..

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

And this surprised you?   This is a group who when evaluating Wood Buffalo issues for the potential expansion of the oil sands sent their team to the wrong Province and then mistook the park location with an area south of Calgary.    

the UN does good things on healthcare (e.g., vaccinations) and international development projects (e.g., girls education).

Where they fall incredibly flat in recent years is on things like this. It bugs me that a branch of the UN has become politicized like this, to the point where they are so arrogant on a topic they don't even google it ffs :picard: 

Add that together with the utter uselessness of the security council and really whats the point of Canada caring at all what goes on there? 

• Cheers 1