The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I feel for Tanev. I remember when he first came into the league. He took such a beating in the corners and he would always bounce back up. He took next to zero penalties while being one of the best defensive defenseman. I remember thinking this guy is a warrior. Fast forward 8 years and everyone is on him because he cant stay healthy. His body is broke down because of what he did for the team years ago.

I agree its time to move on, but based on his diminished value, I wouldn't be surprised to see him suit up for the nucks and if healthy, moved at the deadline next spring.

In many ways it is similar to the Edler situation. Both guys were HUGE for us in our 2011 run, sacrificed their bodies for the team and now are being called brittle and overrated by the same fans who praised them when we were winning. Nature of the beast I guess, but does not make it right. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

If they are shopping Tanev, JB is likely confident Edler gets done. The issue with Eddie was likely the NTC, given its been said he's opened that issue up (willingness to waive for Seattle), then its just money and Aquaman has always shown a willingness to spend if his GM asks for it. Tanev moving for a mid to late first rounder is needed, and given Braun went for a 2nd and 3rd, he should get that. Sign Meyers, have Tryamkin coming back next year who can play the right side, Hughes can also play right. Plus never know how Woo shows in camp. We're good..

That could work.  Not a huge Meyers fan, and his contract will most definitely be insane, but some version of this could work.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aliboy said:

There have been reports that Edler has become more reasonable and might yet be signed, so that might be why they are now shopping Tanev.

Exactly. I mentioned on another thread, that I was thinking JB might want to get Eddie done before the draft if he's getting done for exactly this reason. Keep one of the two key vets (and clearly likely Eddie vs letting him walk for nothing) and move Tanev, then sign a UFA RD (I hope Meyers). Get  mid to late first for Tanev (Braun just went for a 2nd and third). I think there's a trade coming.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Exactly. I mentioned on another thread, that I was thinking JB might want to get Eddie done before the draft if he's getting done for exactly this reason. Keep one of the two key vets (and clearly likely Eddie vs letting him walk for nothing) and move Tanev, then sign a UFA RD (I hope Meyers). Get  mid to late first for Tanev (Braun just went for a 2nd and third). I think there's a trade coming.

Why do you hope for Myers?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Personally, I would much rather have Gardiner to Meyers.  But, if we do move Tanev (and keep Eddy) doesn't that mean we need a right shot D to replace him? 

38 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Tanev's trade value hasn't been this low since he was an undrafted free agent.... We should have traded him 2 years ago when it was sky high, or just keep him and hope his value increases to what it once was and he can be a serviceable shutdown guy for us.

Never underestimate a GM's ability to overspend on July 1, and overpay on TDL day and at the draft.  Tanev could still bring in some good assets.

Also, never underestimate Trader Jim's ability to make underwhelming trades, and odd free agent decisions.

Also, never underestimate the negative effects of an expired burrito on your digestive system.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tanev has been quietly one of the best defensive defensemen in the league over the last decade. When he played on Team Canada, he drew the praise of McDavid, Gallagher, and Stone as the team's unsung hero.

He could have used a d partner with a nasty side to help deter the beatings in the corner, but didn't get one. Those beatings definitely caught up with him though. At this stage in the team's transition though, moving players (even those as selfless as Tanev) can help to set up the future. Nothing against the guy, as he has been a Canuck through and through.

Would have loved to have Chris Pronger for Tanev's partner.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's basically a younger, bigger version of Edler with better hands and better mobility. He's been stuck behind 2 all stars in Big Buff and Trouba. People forget he was a 40 pt dman in Buffalo and still has been putting up decent numbers in the peg. He's a solid 2d who would be great as a 2nd pp QB after QH, and can kill penalties etc. He's 6'8" 229

You don't like the looks of this future D as a cup run in 2 years? 4 big men who can all move with a couple of mighty mites who create havoc

QH Myers (6'8" 229)

Juolevi (6'3" 210 by that time) Tryamkin (6'7' 265)

Edler (6'3 212) Stecher

Woo

I likey

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He's basically a younger, bigger version of Edler with better hands and better mobility. He's been stuck behind 2 all stars in Buff and Trouba. People forget h was a 40 pt dman in Buffalo and still has been putting up decent numbers in the peg. He's a solid 2d who would be great as a 2nd pp QB after QH, and can kill penalties etc. He's 6'8" 229

You don't like the looks of this future D as a cup run in 2 years? 4 big men who can all move with a couple of might mites who create havoc

QH Myers (6'8" 229)

Juolevi (6'3" 210 by that time) Tryamkin (6'7' 265)

Edler (6'3 212) Stecher

Woo

I likey

2 years? Cup run? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

2 years? Cup run? 

With that defense, Petey, Boeser, QH and Bo how they are progressing, and a solid team behind them? Why not? Look at St Louis, they aren't a 'special team full of superstars", just a solid TEAM from the back end out

Edited by 18W-40C-6W