The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 20 Thread

goalie13

15 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

for anyone who plays EASHL this game is absolute crap.

It's been crap every since they added cookie cutter builds.  

On 9/5/2019 at 8:57 PM, goalie13 said:

A quick scan through that list revealed lots of former Canucks...

Adrian Aucoin

Andrew Alberts 
Andrew Cassels
Brendan Morrison
Bryan Allen
Cam Neely
Dana Murzyn
Dave Babych
Esa Tikkanen
Garry Valk
Garth Butcher
Gino Odjick
Greg Adams
Harold Snepts
Igor Larionov
Jim Dowd
Jiri Slegr
John Garrett
Jyrki Lumme
Kirk McLean
Markus Naslund
Mason Raymond
Mikael Samuelsson
Mike Sillinger
Richard Brodeur
Russ Courtnall 
Sami Salo
Sean Burke
Steve Staios
Taylor Pyatt
Tim Hunter
Tony Tanti
Trevor LInden
Willie Mitchell

I probably missed a bunch, and I ignored one.

Wonder what Tim Hunters nose will look like in-game. 

Looks like initial reviews are mostly in the 7.5/10-8.5/10 range, as seen on metacritic and opencritic, links below:

https://opencritic.com/game/8248/nhl-20/charts

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-20

IGN also has a video on their website, will post youtube link when uploaded- https://au.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13/nhl-20-review?watch

Seems that most of the criticism is the same as last year, they improved the core gameplay mechanics considerably but then neglected a lot of the popular game modes. For the most part consensus is that the game is worth picking up.

1 hour ago, ftmN said:

Looks like initial reviews are mostly in the 7.5/10-8.5/10 range, as seen on metacritic and opencritic, links below:

https://opencritic.com/game/8248/nhl-20/charts

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-20

IGN also has a video on their website, will post youtube link when uploaded- https://au.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13/nhl-20-review?watch

Seems that most of the criticism is the same as last year, they improved the core gameplay mechanics considerably but then neglected a lot of the popular game modes. For the most part consensus is that the game is worth picking up.

I sometimes wonder how much lobbying EA does with companies like IGL who professionally rate their games.

My main complaint for years has been the computer AI having the hockey sense of Jake Gardiner in his own end.  Sounds like they might have actually addressed this, so it might be worth actually picking up.    Gave both 18 and 19 a miss due to the gameplay issues.  Franchise mode is where I spend my time, so seeing it beefed up is good news too.

Edited by King Heffy

On 9/13/2019 at 6:28 PM, King Heffy said:

My main complaint for years has been the computer AI having the hockey sense of Jake Gardiner in his own end.  Sounds like they might have actually addressed this, so it might be worth actually picking up.    Gave both 18 and 19 a miss due to the gameplay issues.  Franchise mode is where I spend my time, so seeing it beefed up is good news too.

I've been playing for a couple days now. They did pretty good with the AI logic this time around. Defensively, don't have to pull the winger way out of position just to cover the slot/back door plays any more. They read the plays better (offensively too). Haven't had any glitchy goals go in either.

Not a ton to complain about thus far (besides the music:sick:. Bring back custom music, I want my metal!) Coaching logic in BAP mode. They had Baertschi centering Horvat and Goldobin... Goldy was taking regular shifts with Boeser on defense in the preseason too. Kinda killed the mode for me. The new score clock layout is gonna be hard to get used to. Why change what ain't broke? The skating is a bit slow at default settings, but gameplay sliders fix that right up. All in all, I'd give it a 7/10

I have played hockey video games since they came out and at one point late 90's on a comp in three years lost one game by a goal and then stopped playing for years as it got boring.

well started up again offline, when I came and played online last couple years I win about 47% of the time.

they changed the game so much it was horrible as the game control is more fighting then how it should be

I went back to 94 controls as the game play just sucked.

they need to go back to 2010 style and get rid of the newest stuff that most i play and know say it is not hockey

the speed of the game and how you can deek just is not real at all

scoring you can score cheap goals play after play that is not real at all

hitting is the worst which is what made the game what it was and now is harder to hit anyone.

In my opinion the game itself should be getting a 3 at most out of ten

i will not buy the game again which to me is sad as I love hockey and loved the game till now

I'm getting the itch, I want to try out the new franchise mode & legends teams but I really don't want to pay full price. 

I'm debating getting a month of EA access ($5) for a free trial. Then if I like it the game its 10% off, $72 (+5 so $77) instead of $80. Atleast I'd save a few bucks if I really want it. 

Ughh. I don't know. Tweeted to EA access, really hoping they'll send me a free trial of that, so I can then get a free trial of NHL. ::D 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I took a couple of years off from the series and while I'm enjoying having an NHL game to play again, it's really disheartening to see how much is exactly the same as NHL 14-17.

Also, when playing HUT, nothing warns you that you're about to have a bad time like seeing that your opponent's starting line-up are all wearing Jofa helmets. 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Also, when playing HUT, nothing warns you that you're about to have a bad time like seeing that your opponent's starting line-up are all wearing Jofa helmets. 

It's sad to think that there's probably an entire generation that has no idea what you are talking about.  

If you place an 82 OA in the AHL for a post-season run. Would it negatively impact their growth? My NHL club looks like it might miss the playoffs and my ahl squad is close to making it in. If I send him and my other eligible guys will it hurt their growth?

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

If you place an 82 OA in the AHL for a post-season run. Would it negatively impact their growth? My NHL club looks like it might miss the playoffs and my ahl squad is close to making it in. If I send him and my other eligible guys will it hurt their growth?

Knowing EA's simulation engine, the only way they would lose growth was if they were not playing their 'role'. Can always demote the NHL player to the third line if you don't care for their retention.

Also, looks like its time to start a Canucks GM mode finally, with our roster being set and pending RFA's signed. The goal is 2021/22 Stanley Cup!

3 hours ago, ftmN said:

Knowing EA's simulation engine, the only way they would lose growth was if they were not playing their 'role'. Can always demote the NHL player to the third line if you don't care for their retention.

Also, looks like its time to start a Canucks GM mode finally, with our roster being set and pending RFA's signed. The goal is 2021/22 Stanley Cup!

Hmm. Ya I have a forward who's listed as a Top 9 Role guy. But he is still eligible for AHL. I was debating sending him down to help my AHL team if my main club doesn't make it. So that might cause him to lose growth if i do that? hmmmm

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Hmm. Ya I have a forward who's listed as a Top 9 Role guy. But he is still eligible for AHL. I was debating sending him down to help my AHL team if my main club doesn't make it. So that might cause him to lose growth if i do that? hmmmm

Yeah pretty much, if his role is top 9 then I would probably put him on the 2nd/3rd line. However if that is not possible, you can bury him in the minors playing top line minutes and for the most part he won't drop until probably half way through the season or later. Perhaps this has changed with NHL20 but this is how it generally works for other simulations.

• Thanks 1