The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but we can afford that more next year, if Jim really goes for it and wants to sign say Myers and Nyquist and do a long term deal with Boeser we'll need that 2.6. 

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Why do we need to save 2.6 million this year? 17 million in cap space isn't enough?

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind the difference of buying him out is only actually $1.6m vs waiving him. And with waivers, who know, maybe someone even picks him up/trades for him once cleared.

Where does this 2.6 mil come from?

If the stays with the team we pay 3.1 mil in cap.

If he is buried in Utica we pay 2.025 mil in cap.

(3.1 minus the $1,075,000 exemption)

If he is bought out we pay 1.03 in cap over 2 years.

There is no 2.6 mil we only save 1 mil in cap space buying him out and have to pay that the next season. I would rather have a player on reserve that put up 49, 39 and 41 NHL points in the previous 3 seasons before last.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess if we can ink Hutty to a max 3 mil deal maybe Hutty and Loui for Smith? is there word Ottawa wants to get rid of Smith? 

Straight across. LE's actual salary after bonus is paid is only $1m this year, $4m next. Smith's is $3.25 this and next year. That's a savings of $1.5m actual dollars ($2.25 this year) for cheapo Melnyk and an almost $3m cap gain to help reach the floor. And by all acounts, he's trying to sell the franchise. If he manages it his year, he saves $2.25m. Next year $1.5m. As long as he sells it before the 3rd year, he's laughing. And Eriksson's a better player.

They've already tried to get someone to take him via waivers.

We then waive Smith and turn Loui's 3 year, $6m cap hit ($5m if waived) to a 2 year $2.25 cap hit.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

If I have to tell one more poster that NYR is on the hook for 900k of his salary I think I might puke.

Please read it a little closer.

2.06 it is. Still worth it. 

10 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Where does this 2.6 mil come from?

If the stays with the team we pay 3.1 mil in cap.

If he is buried in Utica we pay 2.025 mil in cap.

(3.1 minus the $1,075,000 exemption)

If he is bought out we pay 1.03 in cap over 2 years.

There is no 2.6 mil we only save 1 mil in cap space buying him out and have to pay that the next season. I would rather have a player on reserve that put up 49, 39 and 41 NHL points in the previous 3 seasons before last.

Thought it seemed off, so yes, only about a $1m savings over waiving and having it gone in one year. Not worth it.

Edited by aGENT

19 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

In a pinch can we not just waive LE and save on at least half his salary? 

We can waive Loui, send him to the minors, and save 1 million.  However, Loui will not report, so we can terminate and save all 6. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

2.06 it is. Still worth it. 

But it's only $1m more savings vs just waiving him. And then it runs in to next year as well. If we're that desperate for $1m, we've got problems.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we'll need it 

Boeser 7

Myers 6-7

Nyquist 5-6

Benn 1.5

We can save 2 mil more by burying Schaller and Loui in Utica incase Lu retires. 

If we do acquire all of those players, others will be pushed out. I don't think there is an urgent need to do so. Lots of potential moving pieces still.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Straight across. LE's actual salary after bonus is paid is only $1m this year, $4m next. Smith's is $3.25 this and next year. That's a savings of $1.5m actual dollars ($2.25 this year) for cheapo Melnyk and an almost $3m cap gain to help reach the floor. And by all acounts, he's trying to sell the franchise. If he manages it his year, he saves $2.25m. Next year $1.5m. As long as he sells it before the 3rd year, he's laughing. And Eriksson's a better player.

They've already tried to get someone to take him via waivers.

We then waive Smith and turn Loui's 3 year, $6m cap hit ($5m if waived) to a 2 year $2.25 cap hit.

I like Smith, rather try to fit him into the lineup than waive him.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But it's only $1m more savings vs just waiving him. And then it runs in to next year as well. If we're that desperate for $1m, we've got problems.

no, we have a better team :P

We probably only have enough cap for one big UFA signing, we have approximately 21.3 million dollars being paid to Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Spooner, Schaller and Bobby Lou (more than a quarter of the salary cap just in bottom six players and retention of Lou). Only Schaller and spooner are off the books when we need to resign Petey and Hughes without making trades and burying contracts in the minors. Peter could get 9+ and Hughes around 7. Our goalies will also need extensions. 

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We probably only have enough cap for one big UFA signing, we have approximately 21.3 million dollars being paid to Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Spooner, Schaller and Bobby Lou (more than a quarter of the salary cap just in bottom six players and retention of Lou). Only Schaller and spooner are off the books when we need to resign Petey and Hughes without making trades and burying contracts in the minors. Peter could get 9+ and Hughes around 7. Our goalies will also need extensions. 

Pettersson and Huges are signed to an ELC for 2 more seasons. Baertschi, Pearson, Sutter and Edler will all be off the books by the time they need a new contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Nope.

You missed: Sutter, Pearson, Baer, Edler, Tanev 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

Pettersson and Huges are signed to an ELC for 2 more seasons. Baertschi, Pearson, Sutter and Edler will all be off the books by the time they need a new contract.

Ya my bad Sutter is off as well, but Sven and Pearson are on relitively good contracts and Edler will have to be replaced.  

• Cheers 1