The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It was just meaningless chatter-until they actually do something.

Hopefully this year, but we hope that, every year.

think I get what you mean….this doesn’t move the dial on my hopes/expectations for this year either. They just need to show up and prove it,

It does make me appreciate JT more though, and believe he’s an important piece in our next 3 years. Glad we kept him 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

think I get what you mean….this doesn’t move the dial on my hopes/expectations for this year either. They just need to show up and prove it,

It does make me appreciate JT more though, and believe he’s an important piece in our next 3 years. Glad we kept him 

I think this, for me, demonstrates that people here are (rightfully) super tightly wound and focused on ONLY results. Nothing else matters. They're tired of it. Again...I get why.

But, for me, I enjoy the ride and this stuff is part of it. I live and breathe hockey and in the off season a conversation that brings me some of that is welcome. To each his/her own. But  I don't get why some bother listening or chiming in then? That's the part that gets me...the constant negativity that's sounded out.

I mean, it's a JT interview and if he's not positive or excited about looking forward I'd be more concerned.  Those who aren't on board with him aren't being dragged in to listen to his meaningless conversation. Not sure what you'd expect in an interview with him? He's damned if he does/doesn't.

He gives good, candid answers in my view.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Also, no player has let their play talk more than JT.

not  Hughes, who continues to set records with his play, but JT with the 17 point drop in production and going from plus 15 to minus -7.

If that is letting his play talk-I'm not impressed.

But to each their own,.

I'm out, for now.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think this, for me, demonstrates that people here are (rightfully) super tightly wound and focused on ONLY results. Nothing else matters. Tired of it. Again...I get why.

But, for me, I enjoy the ride and this stuff is part of it. I live and breathe hockey and in the off season a conversation that brings me some of that is welcome. To each his/her own. But  I don't get why some bother listening or chiming in then? That's the part that gets me...the constant negativity that's sounded out.

I mean, it's a JT interview and if he's not positive or excited about looking forward I'd be more concerned. 

I get you Deb, and relate to all of that. I lean optimistic, and share your appreciation for JT, anytime you want to chat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

not  Hughes, who continues to set records with his play, but JT with the 17 point drop in production and going from plus 15 to minus -7.

If that is letting his play talk-I'm not impressed.

But to each their own,.

I'm out, for now.

That's honestly a really piss poor summary of his contribution on the team though if that's all you take away from his play.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Also, he's got that tough outer skin that's needed. He doesn't care what people think/say...he cares that his team wins. He's listened to a whole lot of criticism lately and it only seemed to fuel his fire. It didn't rattle him. He's absolutely captain material in every sense of the word.

Well said, he is absolutely captain material…I got so sick of Horvat shrinking away to our media. JT will say it like it is. I think this team and this city needs that. For too long our media has pushed their BS on the players and they’ve all just taken it. I think JT is a great counter balance to all of it. I think he can handle the distraction too and still play good hockey. Where Petey and Huggy it may still throw them off…we need those 2 performing  at their best. JT is our captain America deflecting all medias BS with his shield lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

He’s criminally taken for granted / underrated here.

He’s a durable PPG power forward / matchup 2C that’s cost us $5M through his prime.

Miller is a legit 1C in the NHL, unlike Horvat who is a 2C on a really good day.  He can do it all, score, assist, PP, PK, faceoffs, fight, he can even play goal on occasion.  A jack of all trades.  Can't wait to see him play with a motivated Boeser this year.  Should be fun.  Would love it if Podkolzin was on that line too.  Miller and Podz had great chemistry that first year.  Hopefully they can get it back this season...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is a legit 1C in the NHL, unlike Horvat who is a 2C on a really good day.  He can do it all, score, assist, PP, PK, faceoffs, fight, he can even play goal on occasion.  A jack of all trades.  Can't wait to see him play with a motivated Boeser this year.  Should be fun.  Would love it if Podkolzin was on that line too.  Miller and Podz had great chemistry that first year.  Hopefully they can get it back this season...

Agreed to all. Miller would be a great mentor for Podz.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is definitely a capable 1C, but calling Horvat a 2C in a really good day is terribly disingenuous. He's easily a 2C and a very good one at that. A very good day for Horvat puts him into 1C territory. However, we'll see if he remains to be that kind of player on the Island or if he's lost his magic. Might be the case that he's not what he was in Vancouver anymore.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Miller is definitely a capable 1C, but calling Horvat a 2C in a really good day is terribly disingenuous. He's easily a 2C and a very good one at that. A very good day for Horvat puts him into 1C territory. However, we'll see if he remains to be that kind of player on the Island or if he's lost his magic. Might be the case that he's not what he was in Vancouver anymore.

I'm sad because I think he and JT were developing some pretty good chemistry together.

Oh well.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

A 55-60-point centre is definitely not a 1C, unless maybe you are counting Arizona.  I don't look at his outlier year where the team was playing shinny hockey.  Horvat is a career 55–60-point guy and will be at that level or worse with NY Islanders.  His play was so bad in the playoffs that JP Pageau was promoted to 2C and Horvat was the 3C.  On Vancouver and many other teams he is a 3C.  On many other teams he is a 2C.  On Arizona maybe he is the 1C.  Maybe Boston too now that they lost all of their centres.  Even Chicago now has a 1C and Horvat would be the 2C...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

A 55-60-point centre is definitely not a 1C, unless maybe you are counting Arizona.  I don't look at his outlier year where the team was playing shinny hockey.  Horvat is a career 55–60-point guy and will be at that level or worse with NY Islanders.  His play was so bad in the playoffs that JP Pageau was promoted to 2C and Horvat was the 3C.  On Vancouver and many other teams he is a 3C.  On many other teams he is a 2C.  On Arizona maybe he is the 1C.  Maybe Boston too now that they lost all of their centres.  Even Chicago now has a 1C and Horvat would be the 2C...

Yeah, he's only a 1C at his best, like he was in Vancouver this year, scoring at a 50-goal rate.

Even, if you do him the disservice of removing this year, his scoring rate for the prior four years is 0.74 points-per-game. As of 2022-23, the average 2nd line centre was scoring 0.78 points-per-game. Note that this is likely higher than the reality because so many natural centres play on the wings and there are far more centres than wingers. So even with this likely higher than realistic standard and while also removing his best year, which is also his most recent, Horvat is nearly a 2C on offense alone. When you add in the fact that Horvat is almost certainly above average defensively, I think he easily matches the criteria of a solid 2C.

I think the only way your argument holds merit is if you're basing Horvat's level entirely on his 30 regular season and 6 playoff games with the Islanders, a drastically smaller, albeit more recent sample.

If Horvat continues playing like he did in New York this year, then you may be right--he may actually be a 3C now or at best, a low-end 2C. I'm not ready to hop on that bandwagon until I see a greater sample size of evidence though.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

That's honestly a really piss poor summary of his contribution on the team though if that's all you take away from his play.

How else do you judge an offensive center, that had a points production drop?

He isn't as good as Petey at either end of the ice-which isn't a diss as very few players are.

But he's about to get the big bucks and with big bucks comes big responsibility.

hopefully he plays a consistent game, with out those periods of suckage, that he has previously been prone to.

If he can't keep it together for the whole season, then this team likely doesn't make the play offs.

40 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If he can't keep it together for the whole season, then this team likely doesn't make the play offs.

Thing is, it's kind of unfair to put it all on him. Team game and it relies on the others too. Demko and Petey'll have a huge impact on what this team does as well. The d will HAVE to be better too.

I mean, JT had glances of "not keeping it together", it wasn't the norm.