The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

11 hours ago, Googlie said:

From puckprose " The top 5 Centers in the NHL today"

#5: J.T. Miller – Vancouver Canucks

J.T. Miller earns the respect of his teammates and fellow competitors by the way he carries himself on the ice. At 6’1 – 220 lbs., the East Palestine, Ohio native excels at making life difficult for the opposing team by finishing all of his hits, grinding in the juice factory, and sacrificing his body to limit scoring opportunities. On top of this, thanks to his large stocky frame and a quick draw on the dots, Miller is a fearsome adversary between the hashes.

From taking the draw in every situation regardless of the zone that the faceoff is in, to consistently smothering plays going the other way, J.T. Miller is a model figure for his position in hockey. It’s time we start giving him credit for being one of the best true centers in today’s NHL.

In the last two seasons on the Vancouver Canucks, one of the worst teams in the NHL mind you, J.T. Miller has missed just three outings out of 164 games, compiling 372 hits (wow), 107 blocked shots, 114 takeaways, while winning 54.5% of 2,119 faceoffs.

Offensively, he’s quietly been on a tear notching 64 goals and 181 total points featuring 19 power-play goals and 5 shorthanded goals. All of this while averaging 20:53 on the ice per game. To do all of this is simply astounding, to say the least.

Because of his ability to check all of the aforementioned boxes regarding the responsibilities of the center, there is strong support in favor of putting J.T. Miller in the conversation for the top five true centers in the NHL today

He’s consistently an unrivaled workhorse who will stop at nothing to make sure either his team puts the puck in the net or that the opposing team feels the grind that will be coming their way when they face his team. It’s time we put some respect on J.T. Miller’s name.

Here's the link to the full article ...

https://puckprose.com/2023/08/29/top-5-centers-nhl-today-might-not-think/2/

And people cried we gave up a 1st for him smfh

• Cheers 1

I'm glad people are starting to jump on board the JT train and seeing beyond a few moments of frustration he had in the past. They didn't define him....he's a great team player and we're lucky to  have him.

Can't wait for Vintage to post his story today (I'll be at work). The more I learn about our future captain, the more he shines in my view. He's got a little Bieksa swagger to him (another favourite of mine).

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10. You will respect the personal privacy of players/management(past and present) and their families.

Discussions about players or management that have nothing to do with hockey (including talking about how good looking the players are) are strongly discouraged. You will not post personal and/or private pictures of players/management

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

irony.

• elephant 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

And people cried we gave up a 1st for him smfh

I would suspect that perspective had something to do with:

a) Benning having a problem with giving up draft picks when rebuilding teams generally try to collect them (we also gave up a 3rd) and

b) Prior to Vancouver, Miller had not shown himself to be anywhere close to a point a game player.

Personally, I liked the trade because I've always loved the way Miller played and had wanted him on our team for some time prior. But it was a lot to give up on a hope he would improve. Improve he did (beyond my expectations) and that price seems like a pretty good deal now. But hindsight is 20/20, right?

57 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Cc: @-DLC-

When my siblings and I jumped up and down on the furniture my Mom yelled at us.

J.T. hurls his kid to the couch. And the expression she has is priceless. "DO IT AGAIN!!!" :)

Man, right in the feels. My sister said at my Dad's funeral he gave the best airplane rides ever. And that brought a tear to my eye. She was so right.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1

JT has always been a family man which is nice to see, so different from our other stars I suppose. I do worry and wonder when his age and this hectic lifestyle is going to start taking a toll on his body. So far so good, it'd be nice to get another couple of PPG seasons out of him but even if he can maintain around a 60pt clip for a few seasons, that's still good enough for a solid 2C.

• Cheers 1

That just reinforces everything for me.

How can you NOT love this family? They're awesome.

JT trains for 2 hours each morning, golfs, hurls kids around, skates/trains on ice. I wouldn't worry too much about his decline. I mean, it's bound to happen a bit but I don't feel he'll just dog it at any point. Like his girl, he's ultra competitive and that'll factor in.

• Cheers 1

2 mos prior to JB's draft deal, had proposed we get him. My proposal thread was 5 pcs with Tanev going to TBay - that would've prob worked out nicely, as well.

This guy has been absolute MONEY! & all for a paltry AAV. Over the past few seasons(not counting ELC's) likely one of the best contracts goin', league-wide.

His hometown has been hit hard too(train derailment/environmental devastation in East Palestine, Ohio). Hope we see the best of JTM going fwd.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I love that JT gets it....get here, start early with the boys and get a running start instead of starting from behind and trying to "settle in" as the season gets going.

Yep, captain's right.

Some of the guys are already here teaming up. Almost time to trade in those golf clubs for hockey sticks.

375913261_10160499727615549_169292749384

21 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I love that JT gets it....get here, start early with the boys and get a running start instead of starting from behind and trying to "settle in" as the season gets going.

Yep, captain's right.

Some of the guys are already here teaming up. Almost time to trade in those golf clubs for hockey sticks.

375913261_10160499727615549_169292749384

I see the boys really want to spend time with Myers before September 15th :bigblush: