The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

10 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Higher offensive players have more give aways. If you give away a pick in offensive zones it's counted. D zone it's counted.

In all actuality the give away stat tells just how often a player is playing to puck

Aaron ekblad had 122 giveaways. He would probably do nothing for the Canucks huh. Oh and he's in the top 5 for most giveaways and Brent burns is right behind at 118

Myers has 63, same as Erik Karlsson and 1 less than MacKinnon

Brandon Sutter only had 6 but what does he do with the puck when he gets it? Shot on net from impossible angle or dump and chase

It's a very loose stat to use to base performance

Aaron Ekblad is not a good defensive player, florida fans will tell you that actually. And Brent Burns didn't win the Norris why? Because he wasn't that great defensively and his offensive numbers wasn't enough for him to win the best defenseman award.

I'm not suggesting Myers is a bad defenseman, not once did I say that. I'm merely suggesting Myers is a bad defensive defenseman, though he's definitely not THAT good, which brings me to my point that Myers is not exactly improving us defensively, HOWEVER, he's not harming the team as well, and he is still an upgrade over what we had last year (Del Zotto, Pouliot, Gudbranson). 

Brandon Sutter is such a random comparison. Sutter's a good defensive forward, most people will tell you that. He sucks offensively, we all have witnessed that. 

I'm just saying is Tyler Myers what this team really needs?

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Edler's instincts are pretty average on the PP and his shot would be better if it hit the net lol. Edler is a serviceable PP option but if we can upgrade while reducing his minutes overall ut will hopefully help him stay healthy. 

I dont think people here appreciate just how much of an offensive toolbox Myers has should he be given more opportunity in Van to use it. His shot is better than Edler's and his offensive instincts probably are too. 

If Van signs Myers for 6 mil i certainly hope its not to be a Tanev replacement. Help reduce Tanevs minutes for sure, but Jordie Benn can probably do a serviceable job on the pk if he is signed. Let Myers help drive the offense. 

.. wait a minute wait a minute...  Tanev played last year?

pretty sure Tanev will be packaged in a deal in bubble wrap this year before Christmas.. perhaps with a Bow on it made from Red Tensor bandage.

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

That's a great point but can the health be improved with a more balanced line up?

I have been tooting this horn since the beginning of last season. Tanev has been run absolutely ragged. There's no way anyone could stay healthy with the minutes he has had to cover on his own.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Myers at 6.5M for 6 yrs would be golden. 

Sign a depth guy as well like Stralman or ideally Nemeth for maybe 1M or so and we're sorted.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Myers

Nemeth - Tanev

Schenn

Juolevi

Biega

We’re getting him for less term and less years.

5 years x 6 million.  Platinum

15 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Aaron ekblad had 122 giveaways. He would probably do nothing for the Canucks huh. Oh and he's in the top 5 for most giveaways and Brent burns is right behind at 118

A defenseman that puts up points doesn't mean they are a good defenseman and that they'll help your team out. Burns not winning the Norris is a prime example.

Jake Gardiner is also another example. Jake Gardiner had 105 giveaways in the 2017-2018 season, though had his best offensive output of 52 points. Yes those that put up more offense will likely have a lot of giveaways, but that's too much of a discrepancy. Solid indicator of a deficient defensive player, and certainly many people have him as one of the worst defensive players in the UFA market.

A team that needs help in scoring will benefit with a Gardiner player. A team that needs help stopping pucks going past their net will want defensive oriented defenders. 

We are a team that needs both. This is why IMO, we are in a predicament with Myers. He's not really improving this team that much defensively and although he's going to help us out offensively more than the likes of Pouliot, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, he's not going to improve our offensive enough to where it'll take us to the next level, if you get what I'm trying to say.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Odd. said:

We might be improving offensively marginally, but defensively, we are about the same.

You cant say that for certain though. There is no telling how the new additions (if any) will fit in with the rest of the defense and, in the case of Myers, what impact an increased offensive role might have on his overall game.

Even if he is as bad as you say, he would still be an improvement to our top 4. But he isnt nearly as bad as you suggest.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Odd. said:

At least I won't be hating on the contract, but my concern is just how much of an impact Myers will be and is he going to improve our defense.

I feel like even with the Myers signing, we've only marginally improved our defense. 

Incidentally, the Canucks finished the year marginally out of the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

You cant say that for certain though. There is no telling how the new additions (if any) will fit in with the rest of the defense and, in the case of Myers, what impact an increased offensive role might have on his overall game.

Even if he is as bad as you say, he would still be an improvement to our top 4. But he isnt nearly as bad as you suggest.

I know, it's a food for thought kind of opinion, and I'm trying as hard as I can to not sound like it's something factual and that it's not like he wont improve. We won't know until we see him play. 

I'm just trying to argue that many think he's going bolster our defense and I don't exactly see that. Also, I did not suggest Myers was a bad defenseman, not at all. He's decent. hough it's a positive rather than a negative. The contract is fair, and so I'll live. 

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Incidentally, the Canucks finished the year marginally out of the playoffs.

I doubt Myers would have been that much of a difference maker though.

Edited by Odd.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

A defenseman that puts up points doesn't mean they are a good defenseman and that they'll help your team out. Burns not winning the Norris is a prime example.

Jake Gardiner is also another example. Jake Gardiner had 105 giveaways in the 2017-2018 season, though had his best offensive output of 52 points. Yes those that put up more offense will likely have a lot of giveaways, but that's too much of a discrepancy. Solid indicator of a deficient defensive player, and certainly many people have him as one of the worst defensive players in the UFA market.

A team that needs help in scoring will benefit with a Gardiner player. A team that needs help stopping pucks going past their net will want defensive oriented defenders. 

We are a team that needs both. This is why IMO, we are in a predicament with Myers. He's not really improving this team that much defensively and although he's going to help us out offensively more than the likes of Pouliot, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, he's not going to improve our offensive enough to where it'll take us to the next level, if you get what I'm trying to say.

Again, you dont know that definitively at this point. 

Myers is actually quite a bit better and more consistent offensively than any of those 3 you mention. 

One of the best ways to play better defensively as a team is to control the play and maintain possession of the puck to generate more offensive chances. Myers will certainly help in that regard. 

• Upvote 1

I think the trickle-down effect of signing Myers will be huge. His size alone will help us more than people think. The ability to clear the crease is huge and a problem that has existed forever as a Nucks fan. Back end is bigger, more physical, and will put up more offense. Now we can drop Tanev to the 3rd pairing and minimize his risk of injury hopefully. 

2 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

I think the trickle-down effect of signing Myers will be huge. His size alone will help us more than people think. The ability to clear the crease is huge and a problem that has existed forever as a Nucks fan. Back end is bigger, more physical, and will put up more offense. Now we can drop Tanev to the 3rd pairing and minimize his risk of injury hopefully. 

Stecher ahead of Tanev?

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Stecher ahead of Tanev?

Another solid year from Stecher and Tanev is definitely expendable. I think a benefit of having Myers would be that the minutes can be better allocated to where Tanev can have 3rd pairing minutes. Tanev is too injury prone, he shouldn't be playing that much, in all honesty. 

Also, I can't exactly think of an aspect where Tanev far excels at than Stecher. Maybe his ability to skate? Shot blocking perhaps, but everything else about Stecher I seem to see more from than Tanev.

Edited by Odd.

Stecher and Tanev only played 15 seconds different ATOI last year, so very close.  He of course had to step up when Tanev was out, but maybe he can take another step this year.  If he and Myers can keep Tanev's minutes and tough assignments down, maybe we get a good healthy season out of him and increased/restored trade value.  A contender won't have him as a primary shutdown guy anyway, more of a bottom-4.

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Stecher ahead of Tanev?

For the purpose of keeping him healthy, yeah. Tanev has been playing what, somewhere around 22 mins a game on average? Idk if playing him 4-7 mins less  a game will do much but it’s worth a shot. I think Stetcher has proven that he’s one of our best defensive D so I think it should work.

2 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

I’m not going to do a backflip off my house while simultaneously shooting Roman candles into a tremendous dismount until I hear it from multiple sources. If this is the truth it’s a huge relief. It’s sad that a 5x6 Myers deal is a huge relief but here we are. 

I’m old enough to remember this being the worst contract in franchise history.

5 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Mark my words. This will be the worst contract in franchise history. 

:picard: