The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That basically makes him top-2 in scoring for defensemen.  Don't know if you heard, but in an interview Benning was asked if they had contacted Gardiner and he said no, that they figure with Hughes and Stecher they have sufficient puck retrieval/movement D for now.

I'm a big Hughes supporter so I totally agree with JB.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm a middle-aged dude.  Of course I was watching back then.  Honestly though the only partner I specifically remember with Myers was his final Buffalo partner, Henrik Tallinder.  I'd guess Lindy Ruff probably sheltered him for his first couple years.  As for his partners between then and Tallinder, I don't recall who and how often.

The problem with Myers in Buffalo was that he exploded on the scene his rookie year and then became pretty inconsistent afterwards.  I always thought that was a product of the club going on a downward trajectory until his consistency wasn't much better with Winnipeg.  Although that could also be a product of spotty injuries.

Myers is a WYSIWYG kind of player.  Personally I expect him to get around 30-35 points with a need to be paired with a defensively responsible partner.  He was the best available option for the Canucks in free agency.  On the trade market, there's only Ristolainen who's only marginally better but who would have cost way too much in assets that the Canucks can't afford to part with.

I'm hopeful that myers can work well in a pairing with edler now and with juolevi in the future. both are smooth, steady, 2-way guys that can help to be a calming presence (again, hopefully) for myers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Likewise Benn turned down the Habs for equal money, and Nyquist would probably be here if not for the Luongo penalty. 

Vancouver again becoming a desirable destination for players.

Your post was great until you added this nugget of unsubstantiated BS. 

1 minute ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

http://<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nyquist to Columbus.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Canucks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Canucks</a> were serious contenders for him but ran out of cap space.<br>Pettersson was a big reason why Nyquist showed so much interest in Vancouver.</p>&mdash; Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1145743209558970369?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">July 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nyquist to Columbus.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Canucks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Canucks</a> were serious contenders for him but ran out of cap space.<br>Pettersson was a big reason why Nyquist showed so much interest in Vancouver.</p>&mdash; Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1145743209558970369?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dhaliwal doesn't know anything. Also, your post is a disaster. 

Edited by Maketherightmove
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Likewise Benn turned down the Habs for equal money, and Nyquist would probably be here if not for the Luongo penalty. 

Vancouver again becoming a desirable destination for players.

Vancouver has always been a desirable place for players. we missed the playoffs 4 straight years and we got players wanting to play here lol.

over at cowgary land, fans are raging cause Kadri nixed a deal to Calgary but waived it to go to the Avs despite being the best team in the west. :lol:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Knows more about it than I know about embedding tweets lol.

You dont believe there was a chance we were close on him?

I have no idea if there was a chance the Canucks were close on him or not, but it doesn't really matter as he's not a Canuck. 

My beef is with adding unsubstantiated conjecture to add more positive spin to a post when it's not necessary. 

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

I have no idea if there was a chance the Canucks were close on him or not, but it doesn't really matter as he's not a Canuck. 

My beef is with adding unsubstantiated conjecture to add more positive spin to a post when it's not necessary. 

And that's where you're wrong.  The comment was made BECAUSE it has substantiation, whereas yours was, now admittedly, nothing but dismissal without basis.

• Upvote 1

With the signing of Myers?

Our right side D depth = Myers / Stecher / Tanev / Biega  > Rafferty & Woo in pipeline.    

We could debate Tanev better than Stech, even Myers? But less minutes & less key minutes blocking shots, taking hits would hopefully extend the number of games Chris can play.  It is without a doubt the best right side we have had in a while...

My remaining questions?  Once we have Brock signed, will the market have dimmed from some UFA's falling into a secondary market. Specifically, will we still have cap room to add Gardiner? I think it would be good! I was never happy with the concept of Gardiner instead of a good RHD. And I did not anticipate $3 mill from Hutton, $2 mill from Spooners buy out being available. It has a chance of being viable now?

> I don't mind signing Gardiner with Hutton out of the picture, think it would help! 

> Or do we just still try to re-sign Hutton?

> Signing Gardiner means no money to offer Tanev a raise next year.  Hard to say what he will make in the market? But probably would signal Chris Tanev's departure?

> Leaves us, ideally, not ideally, signing (fingers crossed) Tryamkin to play off side. Compete with Jett Woo for 3D next year.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Our right side D depth = Myers / Stecher / Tanev / Biega  > Rafferty & Woo in pipeline.    

We could debate Tanev better than Stech, even Myers? But less minutes & less key minutes blocking shots, taking hits would hopefully extend the number of games Chris can play.  It is without a doubt the best right side we have had in a while...

My remaining questions?  Once we have Brock signed, will the market have dimmed from some UFA's falling into a secondary market. Specifically, will we still have cap room to add Gardiner? I think it would be good! I was never happy with the concept of Gardiner instead of a good RHD. And I did not anticipate $3 mill from Hutton, $2 mill from Spooners buy out being available. It has a chance of being viable now?

> I don't mind signing Gardiner with Hutton out of the picture, think it would help! 

> Signing Gardiner means no money to offer Tanev a raise next year.  Hard to say what he will make in the market? But probably would signal Chris Tanev's departure?

> Leaves us, ideally, not ideally, signing (fingers crossed) Tryamkin to play off side. Compete with Jett Woo for 3D next year.

Where would you play Gardiner though?

Edler

Hughes

Benn

I doubt they even consider it.

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

:bored:

That was accurate at the time.  Fact was, Canucks were interested in a top-6 forward, and still are.  But if you have a beef with Dhaliwal then go ahead and throw out absolutely everything he says.  Either way, he still has far more credibility than your denials.

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Between the Spooner buyout and Luongo CR, there' not a lot of cap left without moving out Eriksson (and/or Sutter, Tanev etc).

We also don't really need more bodies on D (particularly left) at this point (again, without making other moves).

Don't think Gardiner's anywhere on the radar due to those things.

If Benning's making any other moves this summer, it's likely to be trades.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

:bored:

That was accurate at the time.  Fact was, Canucks were interested in a top-6 forward, and still are.  But if you have a beef with Dhaliwal then go ahead and throw out absolutely everything he says.  Either way, he still has far more credibility than your denials.

You're hilarious.