The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What is your expectation though? I thought Myers was going to be overpaid because I thought he was going to be getting 7-8 million with max term even before all the false reports were coming out. At 6 million and 5 years, it is very reasonable for what he should be able to provide considering the UFA market.

At least I won't be hating on the contract, but my concern is just how much of an impact Myers will be and is he going to improve our defense.

I feel like even with the Myers signing, we've only marginally improved our defense. 

Just now, Odd. said:

At least I won't be hating on the contract, but my concern is just how much of an impact Myers will be and is he going to improve our defense.

I feel like even with the Myers signing, we've only marginally improved our defense. 

Not an upgrade on Gudbranson or Biega?

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not an upgrade on Gudbranson or Biega?

Yes, not much of an upgrade after. 

In my opinion, that's marginal. Stecher is a better defenseman, and I'm sticking by that.

Edited by Odd.

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Don’t forget Del Zotto and Poiliot :lol: 

Man just think about the Top 6 at the start of last year. Wow 

Pouliot and Gudbranson had 70 giveaways combined. Myers alone had 63 last year on a signficantly better Jets team. This guy isn't that much of an improvement, if at all defensively.

Edited by Odd.

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Edler has the instincts and the shot. However, he's never really had anyone to challenge his spot. Hughes and Myers to an extent could change that, but until then Edler is still a reliable go-to PP guy. It may be good to lower Edler's minutes a bit though and that may help lower his mileage to get more out of him. Myers taking on more PK minutes from Tanev should hopefully have the same/similar effect.

Edler's instincts are pretty average on the PP and his shot would be better if it hit the net lol. Edler is a serviceable PP option but if we can upgrade while reducing his minutes overall ut will hopefully help him stay healthy. 

I dont think people here appreciate just how much of an offensive toolbox Myers has should he be given more opportunity in Van to use it. His shot is better than Edler's and his offensive instincts probably are too. 

If Van signs Myers for 6 mil i certainly hope its not to be a Tanev replacement. Help reduce Tanevs minutes for sure, but Jordie Benn can probably do a serviceable job on the pk if he is signed. Let Myers help drive the offense. 

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Pouliot and Gudbranson had 70 giveaways combined. Myers alone had 63 last year on a signficantly better Jets team. This guy isn't that much of an improvement, if at all defensively.

Hughes skates circles and gets it back.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Don’t forget Del Zotto and Poiliot :lol: 

Man just think about the Top 6 at the start of last year. Wow 

Well, was sticking with righties.  On the left, it's Hutton vs. Benn.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Pouliot and Gudbranson had 70 giveaways combined. Myers alone had 63 last year on a signficantly better Jets team. This guy isn't that much of an improvement defensively.

Chiarot had even more.  Myers also handles the puck more and was 3rd for dmen in takeaways, just one behind Morrissey.  Petey had the most giveaways on the Canucks, and by quite a lot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Guddy also had a team worst -27.

Petey had a team worst 52 giveaways. I guess he’s a bad player too...

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

You know that giveaways is not necessarily indicative on its own of a players defensive ability, right? Or that it is also very subjectively tracked from arena to arena. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Guddy also had a team worst -27.

Petey had a team worst 57 giveaways. I guess he’s a bad player too...

Myers is a defenseman. What? 

Edited by Odd.

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Myers is a defenseman. What? 

You do know that defensemen usually dominate the top giveaway stats right? And its usually thd 20 pkus minutd guys who touch the puck a lot. Same with forwards actually. The top giveaway forwards are usually top players. Because they have the puck more same as with defensemen. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

You know that giveaways is not necessarily indicative on its own of a players defensive ability, right? Or that it is also very subjectively tracked from arena to arena. 

63 giveaways is pretty alarming for a defenseman of Myers's kind. It's quite normal for top scoring forwards and point producing defenseman in the NHL to have a higher number of giveaways due to the amount of chances they create.

McDavid had 89 giveaways for example. Though had 100+ points. The pattern I've noticed is the more points you have, the more number of giveaways you'll likely have. The less you score, the likelihood of having a higher number of giveaways is low. If you aren't scoring enough, and you are giving the puck away a lot, to me that's a good indicator of someone who is inept in the defensive part of the game.

My concern is if Myers an improvement defensively for this team, and is his offense going to be enough to negate his defensive deficiencies. 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You seem to think giveaways tells the whole story of a players defensive game. When in fact Pettersson is a great two way player.

if giveaways is your evidence that Myers is poor defensively you might wanna rethink that.

Well then giveaways is a pretty useless and misleading stat then isn't it

Edited by Odd.