The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Colorado trades Soderberg to Arizona

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I wish JB would do something like this. Ship out Sutter to give Gaudette a bigger role as the 3rd line C. I think Gaudette breaks out next season. 

JB will do something like this in due time (if he's given the confidence vote to stick around long enough to see it through). Whether it's Sutter or Beagle or Roussel for example, these guys were brought in to take the hard minutes until the youth are ready to take over. Sutter just doesn't have the value right now, so hopefully he can put together a relatively healthy season and up his value.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

They lose a 49 point guy that was on his last year for 4.75M and they get spare parts from the junkyard in return. 

I can’t see how this was done for them to create space to land a Panarin. Soderberg was a good deal of a contract.  If they wanted to go for it next year, this was not the player to let go. 

They don't want to go for it next year.  Their young players still need more time to develop.  

34 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If that is the case, Panarin will not go there, regardless of their cap space.

Florida, NYR and NYI are the other teams he has visited - they are not further along.  

Colorado is still building towards having one of the top teams in the league.  Their young players need to continue to develop before they are there. 

Yup, Colorado will be a top them when the Canucks are competing, that is why I hope the Canucks would not trade for Barrie to help out Colorado; rather instead take my chances in FA...   Colorado due to Sakic is building an incredible team but they ve been rebuilding for alot longer than the Canucks.... last time I checked they still have almost half there roster to fill out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Sakic joined the team further into their rebuild while Benning joined right at the start of it. There's going to be that time lag for a rebuilding squad. The comment I made was meant for those who continually call Sakic a shrewd GM or whatever and given this example here where they used a vet to take on the hard minutes before letting the younger guys take over seems very familiar to the trajectory and development plan we have in place as well. Yet Benning is continuously harped on by some here. Colorado luckily had some top end picks like MacKinnon and Landeskog in which we never had the luxury of.

But yes, I agree that the team is only going to get better and better and hopefully Benning gets to see it through rather than another GM inheriting the work Benning has done.

Agreed, I missed the subtlety of your last line. Some of the outrage it pretty humorous...a certain section of the fan base has decided they hate JB no matter what happens. As a result, every draft pick traded is amplified, etc.

In my view:

1 - Re-building teams lose games

2 - Takes 3 - 5 years to develop most draft picks (Benning has had five years and six drafts) - top end picks usually take less time

3 - Teams need veterans to support prospect growth and maintain stability

4 - I believe in the Canucks' young core so why not bet on them and expand their window to win

5 - Teams need solid, cap-friendly role players to support the core - sacrificing some draft picks is worth adding said players

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, babalu said:

Because a top-6 50-60 point C/W in his prime locked up on a good contract is worth... a third round pick and journeyman D.

Beyond laughable, just simply embarrassing.  Will never understand why some are so eager to express their ignorance, and so publicly.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Because a top-6 50-60 point C/W in his prime locked up on a good contract is worth... a third round pick and journeyman D.

Beyond laughable, just simply embarrassing.  Will never understand why some are so eager to express their ignorance, and so publicly.

I think because there are so many others on twitter ready to applaud them for trashing Benning...JB has truly trolled the keyboard warriors in this market without even meaning to haha. I think JB has done a lot of good things and although I worry about signing Meyers to a long contract, it is almost worth it just to see JB's fan club go berserk.

• Cheers 1