The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Hurricanes to buy out Patrick Marleau

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man what a great move by the canes to get that first rounder... I wish we had taken him on instead. Small price to pay to recoup our 31st overall 2020 pick we gave for jt Miller. 

Oh well JB probably sees our cup window is now and didn't want extra cap 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Smart move by Carolina.

It sure is but the canes lose money every year I'm surprised ownership is alright with this. 3 million to Van, Tor, Cgy, Mon, nyr, bos, chi, det, etc is nothing to Carolina it's another 3 million lost.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Why the other owners put up with their dollars paying for Carolina buying out any contract is beyond insane.  The Leafs, who probably contribute the most dollars to revenue sharing, gave up a first round pick for Carolina to use Leaf's money from revenue sharing to buy out Marleau.  How does this make any sense?

100% agree. 

I guess the bigger picture is the rich get richer if they can grow teams in places like carolina, Arizona and Mexico.

• Upvote 1

Marleau to Vancouver! Could fit nicely into our top 9. Cheap acquisition cost ie free minus salary. Book him for 1-2 years - if he retires after one year that's fine.

We can probably get him on a very affordable contract. Food for thought. Helps us avoid term could fill hole for Podkolzin when he's ready to come over.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

100% agree. 

I guess the bigger picture is the rich get richer if they can grow teams in places like carolina, Arizona and Mexico.

Wow!  Good point RS.  Maybe the rich teams want teams in those crap markets, so they can dump contracts there?  I wonder how much below the cap these teams are in real dollars?  Maybe the league saves more in actual dollars paid out to players, by having bottom cap feeder teams doing this kind of stuff?  

What's Arizona alone, like 20 million actual dollars below the cap.  Maybe it's 50 million for all the bottom feeders?  The NHLPA must hate this.   

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Marleau to Vancouver! Could fit nicely into our top 9. Cheap acquisition cost ie free minus salary. Book him for 1-2 years - if he retires after one year that's fine.

We can probably get him on a very affordable contract. Food for thought. Helps us avoid term could fill hole for Podkolzin when he's ready to come over.

I think if you sign someone over 35 you're on the hook for the entire contract, not sure though I aint a lawyer.  

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

we have alot of meh forwards and we do not need another

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It sure is but the canes lose money every year I'm surprised ownership is alright with this. 3 million to Van, Tor, Cgy, Mon, nyr, bos, chi, det, etc is nothing to Carolina it's another 3 million lost.

Tom Dundon paid 70M$ to invest in the AAF, just to see it close less than a year later.  Now he's suing the company to retrieve his investment from the bankruptcy court(i.e. throwing more money at lawyers).

Seems like money is not a problem anymore for them.  I'm assuming with last year's playoff run they had a little surplus too.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  Good point RS.  Maybe the rich teams want teams in those crap markets, so they can dump contracts there?  I wonder how much below the cap these teams are in real dollars?  Maybe the league saves more in actual dollars paid out to players, by having bottom cap feeder teams doing this kind of stuff?  

What's Arizona alone, like 20 million actual dollars below the cap.  Maybe it's 50 million for all the bottom feeders?  The NHLPA must hate this.   

It's sad the way the game is going but it's all about huge corporate sponsorship...another reason why they wanted to grow Atlanta. It's all money and these billionaire owners want more. Many blame Bettman but he is just the voice from the owners and the biggest voice is mlse.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So how is this any better than the Luongo contract?  Is Gary Bear going to make an example out of Toronto?  Of coarse not.  Signing players to front loaded contracts vs. trading a player to a team so they can buyout a contract to me classifies as same $hit different pile.

We have 3M cap hit, they traded away their 1st rounder not to have one ... how is this the same thing?