The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Hurricanes to buy out Patrick Marleau

21 minutes ago, Borvat said:

You see what he didn't do  - hind sight is 20/20.  Then you point out what he did wrong - all GM's make mistakes.  Then you criticize him for what he hasn't even done yet.  Has he done anything right in your eyes? He was left with a train wreck and an owner who wanted to win now. Not ideal.

Subban could have been had by anyone with cap space.  There are reasons teams didn't offer more than 2 seconds and 2 scrubs for him.    

Teravainen would have been nice - but he wasn't proven when the deal went down and Chicago wouldn't have dealt him to the Canucks.

The other deals are mainly meh - sometimes moving a problem player.

Which of the deals you pointed out are big wins that he and 29 other GM's missed out on that would have made the Canucks so much better?

Frankly tired of Benning's most-used defense being "all GMs make mistakes". We've been so bad for so long it's like people have become content and come up with the lamest excuses:

"All GMs make mistakes"

"He's the GM, I'll trust him over some guy on the internet"

"How do you know? you don't know what deals were and weren't available".

Like, can we have some real expectations lol? The guy Benning took over for brought us to within 1 game of the Cup (would have had it too were it not for injuries) and he got run out of town like 2 years later...

It's not one single deal that makes or breaks it. Another 2nd round pick here, another 3rd round pick there and we'd be in a much better position. It could have meant trading for someone like Miller without using one of our own picks. That 1st rounder wouldn't sting so much if we were the ones who took on Marleau and got one back from the Canes (just as an example).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

22 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Frankly tired of Benning's most-used defense being "all GMs make mistakes". We've been so bad for so long it's like people have become content and come up with the lamest excuses:

"All GMs make mistakes"

"He's the GM, I'll trust him over some guy on the internet"

"How do you know? you don't know what deals were and weren't available".

Like, can we have some real expectations lol? The guy Benning took over for brought us to within 1 game of the Cup (would have had it too were it not for injuries) and he got run out of town like 2 years later...

It's not one single deal that makes or breaks it. Another 2nd round pick here, another 3rd round pick there and we'd be in a much better position. It could have meant trading for someone like Miller without using one of our own picks. That 1st rounder wouldn't sting so much if we were the ones who took on Marleau and got one back from the Canes.

So have you liked any of his trades or draft picks?  Are any of his signings any good? If so do they count or he is only dumped on for his mistakes on deals he never even made?  

So the examples I provided above on your draft picks other teams garnered (and subsequent picks) for these so called cap dumps.  How many of those players picked jump out as big wins?  I had a look at those names and none of them are familiar. Chychrun was basically pick for pick.

Or are you saying Benning is so good at drafting they would be contributing to the Canucks already?  But we will slam Benning even though none of them have made the NHL yet cause he would have picked better....oh wait

Edited by Borvat

14 minutes ago, Borvat said:

So have you liked any of his trades or draft picks?  Are any of his signings any good? If so do they count or he is only dumped on for his mistakes on deals he never even made?  

So the examples I provided above on your draft picks other teams garnered (and subsequent picks) for these so called cap dumps.  How many of those players picked jump out as big wins?  I had a look at those names and none of them are familiar. 

Or are you saying Benning is so good at drafting they would be contributing to the Canucks already?  But we will slam Benning even though none of them have made the NHL yet cause he would have picked better....oh wait

I haven't disliked everything he's done, but IMO it's been a clear net negative.

And yeah, for someone whose drafting is his clear and maybe only strength, he sure hasn't played to it. Seems like he prefers to acquire the shiny new toy and then he's forced to part ways with it a year or two down the road (although this probably has something to do with the guy giving him orders, as well).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I haven't disliked everything he's done, but IMO it's been a clear net negative.

And yeah, for someone whose drafting is his clear and maybe only strength, he sure hasn't played to it. Seems like he prefers to acquire the shiny new toy and then he's forced to part ways with it a year or two down the road (although this probably has something to do with the guy giving him orders, as well).

I look at the young players and the ones on the way and I am actually very hopeful.  He started in an awful position.  Things are looking up and I believe they have turned the corner. Steady as she goes now.  If you call that excuses so be it.  

Some teams have languished for a lot longer than the 5 or so years it has taken to get to this point and will continue to languish.  I don't even have to name them.  Is he perfect no.  Is he as awful as some of you make him out to be - far from it.  GO CANUCKS GO. 

34 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The guy Benning took over for brought us to within 1 game of the Cup (would have had it too were it not for injuries) and he got run out of town like 2 years later...

He also had a better starting point when he took over and left it as train wreck of aging veterans on the decline and no prospect pool. Try and fix that fast.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He also had a better starting point when he took over and left it as train wreck of aging veterans on the decline and no prospect pool. Try and fix that fast.

There's no arguing that but looking back now, it seems quite ridiculous that the guy who took us that far was displaced that quickly. 

When you consider now that people are willing to wait several more years for Benning's "plan" to come to fruition, the "patience" level is night and day.

13 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Especially with ownership who expect to make a profit and see season tickets declining plus this fan base. 

You know all of these decisions are not only his to make.

Edited by Borvat

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

There's no arguing that but looking back now, it seems quite ridiculous that the guy who took us that far was displaced that quickly. 

When you consider now that people are willing to wait several more years for Benning's "plan" to come to fruition, the "patience" level is night and day.

Wow just wow.  Yes Mike Gillis was a master drafter and made many friends league wide.  He was not gifted that roster but scratched and clawed for everything the Canucks became.  Probably built the best prospect pool and drafted the current Canuck stars.  Also, likely why the Canucks are such league darlings and get the cushy schedule and stuff.

Mike is that you?  No we don't want you back.......  

Take a peak at this

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/02/01/time-has-made-mike-gillis-draft-record-look-better-but-it-s-still-bad/

Image result for mike gillis

Edited by Borvat

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Marleau to Vancouver! Could fit nicely into our top 9. Cheap acquisition cost ie free minus salary. Book him for 1-2 years - if he retires after one year that's fine.

We can probably get him on a very affordable contract. Food for thought. Helps us avoid term could fill hole for Podkolzin when he's ready to come over.

Haha I prefer Nyquist... his speed, skill, and finish would complement Bo and Petey soooo well!

• Upvote 1

I have not read much of this thread so maybe this has been stated.

But this whole situation with TO trading Marleau to dump his cap and the other team buying him out is collusion and cap circumvention just as much as the Canucks signing Luongo to that 12 year deal.

Does bettman penalize them? No...he sits at home in his underwear tickling himself and laughing. 

What a joke this league is sometimes. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have not read much of this thread so maybe this has been stated.

But this whole situation with TO trading Marleau to dump his cap and the other team buying him out is collusion and cap circumvention just as much as the Canucks signing Luongo to that 12 year deal.

Does bettman penalize them? No...he sits at home in his underwear tickling himself and laughing. 

What a joke this league is sometimes. 

It's more of the same, with Cdn draft picks being funneled down to fair weather 'eccentric' markets(more used to Nascar). & when the Canes lil' childish crap wears off, & numbers go south?.. Why, we'll use REVENUE SHARING from overpriced Cdn ducats to pay for all their top, graduating ELC/bridge babies.

You'll never win dealing with that pack of psychopathic, biz lawyers. Their country's full with that type, & they've rigged what was a great league.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This is how you do it. Not going to complain but this was the kind of moves I hoped Vancouver was trying to do the past couple of seasons when there was cap leverage.

That said, would Marleau back on the west coast for a year be a good mentoring scenario?

Instead we traded away asset for other people's cap dump. Miller is a good pickup but not for the 1st rounder regardless of lottery pick or not. Tampa bay is desperate to move him due to their cap situation and if it makes it past July 1st might be even harder to move him as most team would have dipped into the free agency already and won't have as much cap. Too bad we will never see the so call bid for Miller as I want to say prolly no team offered a 1st. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, apollo said:

Man what a great move by the canes to get that first rounder... I wish we had taken him on instead. Small price to pay to recoup our 31st overall 2020 pick we gave for jt Miller. 

Oh well JB probably sees our cup window is now and didn't want extra cap 

I am curious as to why you said 31 OA. If we give them pick it will automatically become 31?

Just now, ktcy2 said:

I am curious as to why you said 31 OA. If we give them pick it will automatically become 31?

He’s implying we’re winning the Cup, so the pick becomes 31.  The Cup winner picks 31.

And HE IS RIGHT!  :towel:

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I think it's a combination of waiting too long to make changes and his awful draft record. He did a good job of taking talent and adding to it trough trade and free agency but could he be counted on to draft young talent moving forward to rebuild? As I said previously, you do need to score some hits in rounds outside the first, and he even failed miserably in the first until he had a top 10 pick. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Instead we traded away asset for other people's cap dump. Miller is a good pickup but not for the 1st rounder regardless of lottery pick or not. Tampa bay is desperate to move him due to their cap situation and if it makes it past July 1st might be even harder to move him as most team would have dipped into the free agency already and won't have as much cap. Too bad we will never see the so call bid for Miller as I want to say prolly no team offered a 1st. 

Are you calling JT Miller, the 1st line winger/centre, a cap dump?   :bigblush: