The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Colin Miller to Sabres for 2021 2nd-round pick, 2022 5th-round pick

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What if Benning offered the same as Buffalo?  Vegas is better-off shipping him out of the conference, but that then makes Benning incompetent?  He's not required to explain everything about every trade that happens just because you "need to know".

Agree to disagree on the bolded.

Miller is an average defender and not a game breaker. A GM shouldn't give a  *&^% what team trades for him if they want to move him lol.

Heck of a cheap price though. Come to Van Risto!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

True but it does reflect on Vancouver's asset management. In the end it's trades like this that puts things into perspective (for better or worse). 

Miller is at best a third pairing guy, and he’s making almost 4 million.  He’s really not that good.  He will struggle a lot in Buffalo.  Their forwards don’t play nearly so well defensively as the Vegas guys do.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't like that a lot of the options to address our defense along with some RHD options this summer have already evaporated. Braun, Niskanen/Gudas, Miller, De Haan, Subban, Maatta and Trouba have already been moved. That's quite a bit off the trade front and doesn't look good for a GM heading into Free Agency after promising to rebuild the defense, especially after using a premier trade chip on a forward. The stage seems to be set for a desperation/overpayment type move to make some sort of impact and it sounds like it could be the most predictable outcome. 

Or!

And bare with me here

Benning does nothing.  Says he didn't want to pay the cost and gets raked over the coals for doing nothing to improve his team

Just now, Warhippy said:

Or!

And bare with me here

Benning does nothing.  Says he didn't want to pay the cost and gets raked over the coals for doing nothing to improve his team

I would prefer that and I hope you're right, but addressing the defense has been something he's said he would do. Combine that with all the smoke around us and Myers along with Benning's track record in Free Agency and it definitely seems like the most likely scenario. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a phenom.  He can certainly play the right side.  However, in a pairing with Tanev I think Hughes plays his natural side and Tanev plays on the right.  

Don’t you think Tanev would be the ideal partner for Hughes, and Hughes for Tanev?  I think Tanev gets injured less if he’s partnered with Hughes, because Hughes drives the play, so Tanev won’t have to defend too much.  

I think we keep Tanev, so don’t need Miller.  

I Hope OJ makes the team right away and your defense will become reality seeing as my preferred roster building route is no longer a option.  We will likely sign a guy like Benn though which is likely the best plan as even if OJ plays we need the depth.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

JT was an over payment considering the following:

1. If Buffalo got Collin Miller for cheap because they were a different conference from Vegas. Then why couldn't Vancouver get JT Miller for a similar price? Vancouver and Tampa are in different conferences. Let's not pretend that if The Habs traded for JT it would cost them another 1st. 

2. Reports from the draft floor indicated not many teams were calling Tampa asking about JT Miller. So it's not like there was a heated bidding war for him.

3. Tampa, like Vegas, are in cap troubles. And, as we've seen in other trades involving Nashville and Toronto, it's the team bailing out these teams having the leverage. 

they weren't over the cap like Vegas, and had just go the LTIR news about Callahan, so very different situations. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is at best a third pairing guy, and he’s making almost 4 million.  He’s really not that good.  He will struggle a lot in Buffalo.  Their forwards don’t play nearly so well defensively as the Vegas guys do.  

The same could be said about Myers except Myers is older and is probably going to ask for more and a longer term.

Miller got 40 points two seasons ago and seems to be thought of much higher than Myers when being discussed by hockey analysts. So he seems to have a higher upside

Then again you could be right eventually that Myers ends up being better but, again, what is the term and price Vancouver will offer Myers? 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Plus having a 3.8 million right shot dman that can score 40 points seems to be a more viable than the expected term and salary Vancouver is going to offer Myers.

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The stage seems to be set for a desperation/overpayment type move to make some sort of impact and it sounds like it could be the most predictable outcome. 

Benning should be fired for all those stupid things he has yet to do.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Or!

And bare with me here

Benning should have outbid to get the trade done... you know, without over-paying like he always does.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I Hope OJ makes the team right away and your defense will become reality seeing as my preferred roster building route is no longer a option.  We will likely sign a guy like Benn though which is likely the best plan as even if OJ plays we need the depth.  

I think that’s why JB wasn’t in on Miller.  JB has his right side set with a Myer’s addition.  

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning should be fired for all those stupid things he has yet to do.

I mean I still like Benning and his drafting has brought in some much needed youth. But trading is not his strong point. 

I feel that Benning could benefit from a Laurence Gillman type assistant GM to guide in these kind of negotiations

Benning strikes me as an instinct first GM which leads him to either sell 70 cents on a dollar or pay $1.30 for something valued at a dollar. Sometimes his instincts are good (drafting Pettersson comes into mind, and picking Markstrom over Lack) but he needs someone to keep his impulses in check. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers is a 200 foot player.  Miller isn’t nearly as effective.  Miller is a third pair guy.

You're in the minority in thinking that.  Even the quoted tweet has him as a second pairing d-man.

However if the Canucks got him, you'd surely say Miller was the second coming of Scott Stevens.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're in the minority in thinking that.  Even the quoted tweet has him as a second pairing d-man.

However if the Canucks got him, you'd surely say Miller was the second coming of Scott Stevens.  :rolleyes:

More Scott Neidermyer. :gocan:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I feel that Benning could benefit from a Laurence Gillman type assistant GM to guide in these kind of negotiations

Oh yeah, the guy who gave out all the NTCs that the next regime got stuck with and faced the brunt of the "they refuse to rebuild" crowd.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, zimmy said:

I need to hear from Jimbo why he couldn’t land C Miller or why he didn’t have any interest in landing C Miller. He needs to have an opinion on this for public consumption. There are obviously several teams who were interested in this player so I’m not so naive to think that it was either Buffalo or Vancouver but a second and a fifth!!!??? When they announce T Myers on Monday at 7x7 I’m gonna flip!!

So you want jim to publicly comment on other teams players? He's been fined for that before. Next step would likely be losing draft picks. 

But as long as zimmy is happy! 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Oh yeah, the guy who gave out all the NTCs that the next regime got stuck with and faced the brunt of the "they refuse to rebuild" crowd.

Pretty much but I feel that Benning and the Gillian/Gillman regimes are philosophies of two different extremes. I would imagine having a Gillman like assistant GM working with Benning would reach a happy medium

Plus let's not forget Benning is the one that was signed Eriksson on his contact and heck that wasn't even his plan A (Lucic was).

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you think Myers is much better?