The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Sign Brett Connolly

435391105_ScreenShot2019-06-30at1_44_05PM.thumb.png.146f50440463017f9264ea85fe2320f0.png

Edmonton has been rumoured to be the front runners to sign Brett Connolly.  What if the Canucks were to sign him to play alongside Bo and Pearson if they are unable to land Nyquist?  Connolly was born in BC and is coming off a 46 point season.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have enough bottom line guys.  He’s a 20 point grunt, who had a career season.  No to Connolly.  

I guess I don’t mind “grunts” who score 22 goals on a third line.  I also don’t try to hold the fact that a player had a career year as a negative attribute.  He was finally healthy and played an entire season which resulted in his career year.

1 minute ago, laddie said:

I guess I don’t mind “grunts” who score 22 goals on a third line.  I also don’t try to hold the fact that a player had a career year as a negative attribute.  He was finally healthy and played an entire season which resulted in his career year.

Is Connolly worth the risk, considering the cap hit he will get as a UFA?  He’s had one season of 46 points, and a whole lot in the teens and twenties.  

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Connolly worth the risk, considering the cap hit he will get as a UFA?  He’s had one season of 46 points, and a whole lot in the teens and twenties.  

He's worth it. Has history with Beagle. Knows how to score, is big, quick and a BC boy. He is the kind of player you want on your third line, if the price is right. Almost no risk. Oh, and also is the kind of player that's highly moveable. He is what Zack MacEwen could become, might be a good or great linemate/mentor.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, xereau said:

He's worth it. Has history with Beagle. Knows how to score, is big, quick and a BC boy. He is the kind of player you want on your third line, if the price is right. Almost no risk. Oh, and also is the kind of player that's highly moveable. He is what Zack MacEwen could become, might be a good a great linemate/mentor.

How much cap, and what term is fair?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How much cap, and what term is fair?  

I'd offer him same contract as Roussel. 3.0x4. See if he bites. Still 30 when it expires, and maybe he is worth more then to both himself, and the team.

• Upvote 3

Just now, xereau said:

I'd offer him same contract as Roussel. 3.0x4. See if he bites. Still 30 when it expires, and maybe he is worth more then to both himself, and the team.

Sounds fair, but risky too.  If he plays like last season it’s great.  If he plays like his other seasons, it’s not so great.  Risk v reward? 

Maybe Big Mac can fill that role?

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

He's worth it. Has history with Beagle. Knows how to score, is big, quick and a BC boy. He is the kind of player you want on your third line, if the price is right. Almost no risk. Oh, and also is the kind of player that's highly moveable. He is what Zack MacEwen could become, might be a good or great linemate/mentor.

44 of his 46 points last year were at even strength on a line with Eller and Burakovsky.  Not exactly superstar line mates, unless you’re an Av’s fan, but really good numbers considering his limited minutes.  One estimate to sign him was for 3.5 million over 3 years.

Edited by laddie
added commentary
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

This is a former #6 overall who simply took some time to get NHL traction and then had some injury issues.    He is big, fast and has great hands.   Very defensively responsible too boot.   He is the player that Kassian could have become.    

Not going to set the world on fire but a solid NHL player, a "winner" in that he will do anything to win and has ability to move around lineup if you need him to.    

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, xereau said:

I like him.  I would sign him, if 3-4 line players were what we needed.  The Canucks exist in a cap world.  He had a career year in a contract year.  We have 6 spots in the bottom 6.  We have the following players signed and already taking up cap space and a roster spot.

Sutter

Gaudette

Beagle

Rousell

Virtanen

Eriksson

Schaller

MacEwen

We have the following RFA's who we have already qualified

Leivo

Motte

Goldobin

That is 11.  How many roster spots and how much cap space do you want to devote to the bottom 6?

Of course if we found a deal for Sutter, Schaller, and Eriksson, then signing Conolly would be a possible move.

For me I am quite content that the competition for spots on our roster will be strong and we will be better than last year. 

As he is a former 6th overall pick he does have the skills to be successful.  I’m wondering if he is a cost effective winger for Bo?  If he is given more ice time and more PP opportunities on the second unit could he make sense there if other UFA possibilities fall through?  There has been talk about putting Virtanen on that line but I would say at this point Connolly is a big upgrade but also someone that Jake could learn from.  

Just putting this here for those who like stats

Over the past 4 NHL seasons

Gustav Nyquist
321 games
72 goals
191 points
16:59 ATOI
2:33 per game on PP
.035 pts per min

Brett Connolly
288 games
61 goals
121 points
12:19 ATOI
0:55 per game on PP
.034 pts per min

Edited by boziffous
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, xereau said:

interesting... does that guarantee Jake gets a much longer top 6 look? 

Jim seemed to be going for Nyqvist but maybe 3x4 is the deal we can afford. Adding JT Miller, Connolly and Myers sure helps change the look of things, and a 3rd line of Roussel, Sutter and Connolly could do some damage. 

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is a former #6 overall who simply took some time to get NHL traction and then had some injury issues.    He is big, fast and has great hands.   Very defensively responsible too boot.   He is the player that Kassian could have become.    

Not going to set the world on fire but a solid NHL player, a "winner" in that he will do anything to win and has ability to move around lineup if you need him to.    

Shawn Matthias, too.

Like him as a player but he plays a game similar to Bo ie: not many assists - more of a scorer/shooter.  I think Nyquist would fit in great.  Nyquist is what we hoped Baertschi would become including fairly durable.

Pearson - Bo - Nyquist

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Just putting this here for those who like stats

Over the past 4 NHL seasons

Gustav Nyquist
321 games
72 goals
191 points
16:59 ATOI
2:33 per game on PP
.035 pts per min

Brett Connolly
288 games
61 goals
121 points
12:19 ATOI
0:55 per game on PP
.034 pts per min

These stats are interesting.  I just think that there is a reason that Nyquist is on the pp.  He is a playmaker and more offensively gifted.  Connelly's coaches don't put him on the pp much because they know him and they don't think he is a top offensive guy.  Coaches want to win and you need to score more than the other team to win.  They tend to put the players with the best chance of doing that on the top lines and on the ice more.